This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Soda Soda!

Comments

• That's dumb. Dr. Pepper is one of my favorite sodas!

Just get Imperial Dr. Pepper. That plant is independently owned and operated, they bottle in glass, and they still use cane sugar. Tastes great, less chauvinism!
  • There is no . in Dr Pepper.
  • It's so over the top sexist that it is like a parody of sexism
    That's exactly what it's meant to be. I can't remember the exact statement, but they basically said they believe women will "get the joke."
  • edited October 2011
    I still think it is dumb. And I doubt everyone gets the joke, target audience or offended people.
    Also, would you run an ad that said something was not for "insert name of ethnic minority here?" No? Well, perhaps you are waltzing into dodgy territory then.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Wait, isn't the parody the fact it only has 10 calories, yet is advertised as being a guy thing?
  • Dr Pepper is not a real doctor OR a pepper. The add is super macho because it is a diet drink. They are letting men know it is ok to drink.
  • I find it hysterical in that racist-30s-cartoons way.
  • They are letting men know it is ok to drink.
    But, see, there is the problem. Why wouldn't Diet Soda be okay for men to drink? Are they making fun of men for avoiding diet soda because it has some sort of connection to being effeminate? I did not know that.
  • I think it's the same as the thing I heard about Pepsi Max being mostly the same as Diet Pepsi with a different sweetener and branded to be the more manly equivalent.
  • I didn't know choice of soda had such an effect on one's perceived "manliness."
    God, I hate it when they "gender" food products. Like female-centric yogurt commercials and "This is a manly burger!" It is food! My gosh, our bodies process it the same way, except that if we are smaller or have lower metabolism, we need less of it. Gendered Products just make me tilt my head and go "hwah?"
  • What if our language had nouns with genders?
    Sexist fucking bullshit, man.
    This is why English is better than every other language. It is frequently nonsensical, but no cases and no genders.
  • English
    better than every other language.
    Hi, this is Earth. You must be new here.
  • Hi, this is Earth. You must be new here.
    Or in Mr. Smith's English: "Welcome ta ERF!"
    Sexist fucking bullshit, man.
    My table is a pretty pretty lady!
  • There was some hyperbole -- I don't profess to have mastery over any language, or great knowledge of those beyond English Latin and German -- but I really do think that English is one of the best languages. Sure, our grammar can be fucked up, but no cases, genders are limited to pronouns, and fairly simple conjugations. Sure, there are probably some languages better than English, but the only one I know of is a native american language spoken by a tribe from western Canada I don't know the name of.
  • Spanish conjugation is extremely easy, genders are obvious after some basic rule memorization, no cases, no neuters, and there is one body that regulates all grammar and vocabulary changes for the shifts. Best widely spoken language there is.

Now, for engineered languages, I'd argue for Esperanto, followed by Lojban. If practicality is not a concern, Klingon.
  • I think we're just going to have to disagree on this. I found Spanish conjugations just as tedious as Latin.
  • See, I am not arguing about word genders from a linguistic sense. No one dislikes "la universidad" because it is feminine, nor associates it with only women. However, when we start saying "this is a food for men and this is food for ladies" it promotes the cultural split between the genders.
  • But you ladies got that yougurt that makes ya poop.
  • I want to get fat on soda that is delicious. Help me do this.

What is the most amazing root beer and cream soda you have had? Must be available online or willing to help me find a way to get it in the southern US.
  • I really like Boylan's Root beer. It's definitely nothing like A&W or shit like that.
  • Bundaberg Root Beer, Ginger Beer and Sarsaparilla are all pretty good, if you can get your hands on them.

Failing that, Pasito. Seriously, it's passionfruit soda. PASSIONFRUIT.
  • Does anyone have any recommendations of a good alcoholic ginger beer?
  • Wild bills soda now sold at new burger joint, I am happy.
  • If you cannot get Goose Island Root Beer, I can confirm that Dog n Suds is otherwise the best root beer ever made. Period.
  • If you cannot get Goose Island Root Beer, I can confirm that Dog n Suds is otherwise the best root beer ever made. Period.
    Once again, you've not tried Pete's Ass-Kicking Root Beer.