This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20110211 - COSplay

edited February 2011 in GeekNights
I am a native to Raleigh, NC and as an aside the news about the engineering lawsuit, the word around town is that the law itself and the investigation involved have something to do with the unions. Essentially, high-quality work not performed by a licensed engineer and submitted to the DOT is a circumvention of fair competition and hiring practices. Unfortunately this is only rumor so I can't formally substantiate the claim, though I will if I can rustle up a source.

Furthermore, it's not just Mr. Cox that's under investigation but the entire North Raleigh Coalition of Homeowners Associations (NORCHOA) which is "is a nonprofit group of residents from seven North Raleigh subdivisions comprising more than 700 homes. It was created in 2006 to work with city and state officials on the Falls of Neuse widening project from Raven Ridge Road north to the Falls of Neuse River Bridge. "As part of this involvement, NORCHOA regularly has submitted its own analyses of various aspects of this project," it said in its Jan. 11 response. "Until now, no one has accused NORCHOA of practicing engineering without a license." (from here)

It's still bullcrap.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Hmmm, how come this forum post wasn't automatically generated. I will have to investigate.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Hmmm, how come this forum post wasn't automatically generated. I will have to investigate.
    This was when the forums were down last night after our recording of ATW9K.

I think it was because of the link you sent us.
  • edited February 2011
    This was when the forums were down last night after our recording of ATW9K.

I think it was because of the link you sent us.
    Genius. Yes, that is correct. A case of bad timing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • NYC Metro is NOT one of the best in the world. It might be one of the biggest, but that is all. That is all.
  • Essentially, high-quality work not performed by a licensed engineer and submitted to the DOT is a circumvention of fair competition and hiring practices.
    By that logic, all Open Source Software us unfair competition. ;^)

If it is in fact unions, those unions involved specifically with this need to be destroyed.
  • NYC Metro is NOT one of the best in the world. It might be one of the biggest, but that is all. That is all.
    Who said it was the best in the world? It is not top in any category including price, cleanliness, punctuality, crowdedness, speed, reliability, noise...
  • We should go in formal wear and do the Genki Sudo.
  • We should go in formal wear and do the Genki Sudo.
  • edited February 2011
    In addition, we should have someone who's physically Japanese dressed up in Japanese traditional formal wear and if anyone asks to take a picture of them, convince the perp that they are in fact a representative from the Japanese embassy.

Clipboards might help.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited February 2011
    For those wondering Cos Playing Tom Servo from MAGfest.

Also one of the best Cosplayers I saw at a convention was at MAGfest 8 with....Metal Man.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Anime Chess isn't that bad. Tora-Con's chess match in '09 was pretty great. Last year's had good moments, and bad moments. I've also watched Metrocon's chess match on Youtube, it's pretty clever, has a continuous story. 2009's (or 2010's) ended with Hitomi (Escaflowne) being taken as the apprentice to Darth Vader to spare the lives of Char Aznable and Lord Ashram. Vader killed them anyways.
  • 2009's (or 2010's) ended with Hitomi (Escaflowne) being taken as the apprentice to Darth Vader to spare the lives of Char Aznable and Lord Ashram. Vader killed them anyways.
    You consider that to be good?
  • Might do this if I ever go to a game con.
  • 2009's (or 2010's) ended with Hitomi (Escaflowne) being taken as the apprentice to Darth Vader to spare the lives of Char Aznable and Lord Ashram. Vader killed them anyways.
    You consider that to be good?
    I consider that to be amusing. The fight scenes are usually well scripted there, and that's actually kind of interesting in my opinion. Like I said though, it's amusing at the very least, and therefore well-spent time, especially at Tora-Con where the panels can be lacking.
  • I consider that to be amusing. The fight scenes are usually well scripted there, and that's actually kind of interesting in my opinion. Like I said though, it's amusing at the very least, and therefore well-spent time, especially at Tora-Con where the panels can be lacking.
    I think it will be hard for you to find agreement that that is amusing. It's childish and inane pandering at best. You're kinda young though, right? I suggest you take a video of one of these things and then re-watch it in 5-10 years and see what you think. I'm willing to wager it will be much like when I rewatched He-Man and couldn't believe that I ever enjoyed it.
  • I think it will be hard for you to find agreement that that is amusing. It's childish and inane pandering at best. You're kinda young though, right? I suggest you take a video of one of these things and then re-watch it in 5-10 years and see what you think. I'm willing to wager it will be much like when I rewatched He-Man and couldn't believe that I ever enjoyed it.
    Soooo.. Now everyone needs to have the tastes of a 30 year old?
  • I think it will be hard for you to find agreement that that is amusing. It's childish and inane pandering at best. You're kinda young though, right? I suggest you take a video of one of these things and then re-watch it in 5-10 years and see what you think. I'm willing to wager it will be much like when I rewatched He-Man and couldn't believe that I ever enjoyed it.
    Soooo.. Now everyone needs to have the tastes of a 30 year old?
    I'm also not THAT young, I'm 19...Yes, some of it is childish, but that's why it's amusing. It's like a crazy crossover fanfiction, it's not meant to be taken seriously. And like I said, the choreography is often quite good.
  • I'm willing to wager it will be much like when I rewatched He-Man and couldn't believe that I ever enjoyed it.
    You know the reverse can happen to, when I was 17 and I watched Fist of the Northstar, I didn't like it, but now....
  • Soooo.. Now everyone needs to have the tastes of a 30 year old?
    No, just a specific 30-ish year old.
  • Cosplay
    It's good.
  • http://www.gamespot.com/image-battle/comic-con-2012/

This is kinda neat to go through and check out costumes.
  • edited July 2012
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Is that supposed to be Iron Man in the red? What is going on?
  • I think it's General Iroh with an Iron Man mask.
  • The earth-bender with Shutter shades - best thing.
  • I think it's General Iroh with an Iron Man mask.
    Iroh Man!