This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anonymous: 1 Security Firm: -3

edited February 2011 in Everything Else
Sorry if this is already a topic.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/how-one-security-firm-tracked-anonymousand-paid-a-heavy-price.ars/2

Basically the CEO of a private security firm decided he was going to take down anonymous by "infiltrating" (and by that I mean getting on their IRC channel) the organization and tracking down "top members" through their Facebook accounts. Hilarity ensues as people within his own company tell him he's kind of an idiot, and his actions provoke Anonymous to DDoS the company's website, leak internal emails, and basically blow the whole thing up in his face. Shit got so real that the CEO of the parent company actually got on IRC to try and talk Anonymous down from further damage, but was given the demand that she fire the numbskull (who thought a chatbot was the leader of Anonymous), and/or put a "burn notice" on him, and donate to a trust fund for Bradley Manning, the soldier being held on suspicion of sending documents to wikileaks. More hilarity ensued as the CEO's husband, a self-professed Black Hat hacker, was asked to come on yet somehow he didn't know how to use IRC. In a bit of irony a group of five anonymous took the company down, including a 16 year old girl who used the same social engineering Aaron Barr tried to use in order to get the root password to the site.

I think this all goes to prove you can't defeat an entity that doesn't technically exist. But seriously, I have little experience with computers as a whole, and only a year of physical security experience, but I seem to be a lot more competent than most people involved in this debacle, and a lot of people on this site make a living off of doing nearly the same thing this man does.

Oh yeah, the chat logs of the conversation with the parent CEO: http://pastebin.com/x69Akp5L