This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your First Webcomic

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
In the vein of the 'Your First Anime' thread I am curious as to which webcomic was the first one you all first started reading, and if you're still reading it today.

I first found Sluggy Freelance in the fall of '99 during the Cannibals Anonymous arc (I would have been 15 years old), and I still read it daily to this day. Its still my favorite, it has almost been usurped a few times, but not quite.

Comments

• I'm not 100% sure what the first was. It feels like sometime during Freshman year of college I discovered webcomics all at once. I'm pretty sure I was reading Penny Arcade, Megatokyo and Real Life from the get-go. 8-bit theatre was not too far behind. One comic I know I read at the begginning was BBoCS. Oh BBoCS, how I pine for thee, and how I pine to beat up your rat bastard creator Nick Yu.
  • It was either 8bit Theater or Penny Arcade, and then one led me to the other. And then it sorta expanded from there.
  • edited September 2006
    Although I recall seeing Penny Arcade a while ago while surfing the net, VG Cats is the first real webcomic I conciously started reading. The Full Metal Alchemist/Harry Potter Philosopher Stone fight is one of my favorites.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I believe you mean VG Cats... maybe just a slip of the finger.

But yeah that is one of my favorites too. I'm actually in on of the comics. Its my internet claim to fame at this point.
  • Mine was VG Cats, a friend of mine here at AIW told me about it and I was hooked after I first read it.
  • I'd never heard of webcomics until my freshman year at college when I saw a PA comic taped to a dormroom door.

That was the beginning of the end for me.
  • Some friends told me about Sluggy early into my freshmen year at college, back in 2001.
  • I pretty-much found Megatokyo, Penny Arcade, 8-bit Theatre, Real Life, Exploitation Now, and the Bad Boys of Computer Science all at the same time. I found most of the rest of the webcomics I've read not too long afterward. I have very rarely found new ones that I enjoyed enough to read since that initial burst.
  • Obviously, I read Penny Arcade.
  • Obviously, I read Penny Arcade.

Whoa...is that a non-grammar related post my Mr. Period?
  • The first comic I read was some obscure sprite comic that I forget the name of. This comic linked me to Bob and George, which, thanks to its very comprehensive links page, sent me to all the big ones like penny arcade and vgcats.
  • I could never stand Bob and George. I'm honestly of the opinion that 8-bit Theatre is the only sprite comic ever made that's worth a damn. Brian just did such a good job of creating defined, interesting, funny characters with these sprites, and his skills have improved consistently as the comic has gone on.
  • edited September 2006
    I could never stand Bob and George. I'm honestly of the opinion that 8-bit Theatre is the only sprite comic ever made that's worth a damn. Brian just did such a good job of creating defined, interesting, funny characters with these sprites, and his skills have improved consistently as the comic has gone on.
    Well, personally, I enjoy BaG, although now it's starting to lose it's appeal with me.

Nonetheless, it still has it's moments, although I guess I don't really have much to compare it to, seeing that I don't really have the time. If I did, I'd probably go with Sluggy Freelance.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • My first web comic was some crappy ripoff of DG comics. I got the link from some guy at gamefaqs who had it in his sig.
  • I liked Bob and George when I first found it, because it was the first webcomic I really read and followed day to day. Eventually I went to the links section when I was bored and found all the good comics, and stopped reading Bob and George. Bob and George was only good for me when I first found it because it was the only webcomic I had ever read before.
  • edited September 2006
    I could never stand Bob and George. I'm honestly of the opinion that 8-bit Theatre is the only sprite comic ever made that's worth a damn..
    Out of curiosity, have you been to fireball20xl recently?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I could never stand Bob and George. I'm honestly of the opinion that 8-bit Theatre is the only sprite comic ever made that's worth a damn..
    Out of curiosity, have you been to fireball20xl recently?
    I've never even heard of that. I'll check it out.