This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A badass computer

edited September 2006 in Technology
To contine the ongoing discussion about how nobody should spend insane amounts of money on a computer, and to cure some of my work boredom, I give you this.

Last time I posted a Newegg wishlist I was demonstrating the ability to buy a desktop computer more powerful than what 90% of people need for an incredibly low price. This time I did two things differently. First off, I made a computer so powerful that it can play any game on the market with ease. If you play Half-Life 2, or other source engine games, at 1280x1024 resolution with 4xAA and 8xAF you should be able to get around 60fps with this setup. I give that level of power a rating of "badass".

Another thing I did differently this time is I did not leave out the extras. I got a DVD burner, a monitor, a case, a power supply and three hard drives. Yes, three hard drives is the minimum required for RAID 5 which is supported by this motherboard. With this computer you will get 400GB of wicked fast SATA 3gbps storage with parity. It's that insane.

What does this insane gaming rig cost? $2000? $3000? No my friend, it costs a mere $1,321.90. Compare the price/performance ratio to the machines offered by Dell/Alienware. You will find that they can not compete.

So next time someone says they are going to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for an unecessarily powerful computer, do them a favor, and hit them on the head.

Comments

• Hey, look, Scott just saved me some work. I told my friend, the overspending one from the other thread, that I could make a much cheaper AMD PC and he told me to make a wish list. Now I don't have to. Thank you Scott. Oh, yeah, I'll hit him next time I see him.
  • edited September 2006
    I find it funny that Apreche was just teasing me via e-mail about my computer trying to say I spent too much when this computer is about the same as mine. (mine was a bit cheaper, had more RAM but no LCD monitor) haha. (and I bought it 6 months ago)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I find it funny that Apreche was just teasing me via e-mail about my computer trying to say I spent too much when this computer is about the same as mine. (mine was a bit cheaper, had more RAM but no LCD monitor) haha. (and I bought it 6 months ago)
    Stuff really hasn't changed that much. Also, it was hard to get more RAM because this motherboard takes DDR2 800 RAM, which there was not a wide selection of.