This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First Duke Nukem Forever and now this!?

Comments

• People need to read these books. I know they are long as hell and even if the series is never finished, they are worth your time. I've been doing 2-3 posts on George R R Martin for MTV at their request cause they want to be on top when the HBO series hits. Had my boss send Bantam Spectra an email today. Get me an early copy damn it!
  • RymRym
    edited March 2011
    People need to read these books.
    Where do they stand in terms of quality compared to Scott Lynch and R. Scott Bakker works? (I read through the Prince of Nothing again recently, and damn son).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • And here I thought the Phantom became reality.
  • People need to read these books.
    Where do they stand in terms of quality compared to Scott Lynch and R. Scott Bakker works? (I read through the Prince of Nothing again recently, and damn son).
    The HBO adaptation looks to be as faithful as the Lord of the Rings was.

This making of is a pretty good primer for the books as well.
    The writing is on the level of Prince of Nothing, and the tone is closer too. Thematically it isn't quite at the same level. Both Scott Lynch and R. Scott Bakker have a HUGE edge over The Song of Ice and Fire though, considering they both write STORIES and George R R Martin doesn't. He writes sweeping epics in which many things happen, and there are many battles, and many people die, but to me it feels like watching Lost or Heroes, where we get to know people, but by the end of the first season you still don't have any hint that events are moving forward, or have any meaning.
    I have absolutely zero perspective as to the relative quality of these books, as I simply don't read often enough. I've never read anything by Lynch of Bakker. For someone who reads a lot, they can probably find a lot of flaws in Martin's books. I still recommend them to people though because I actually have read them, and think the average "doesn't read a lot" kind of guy will enjoy them as well.