This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best Sample Episodes?

edited March 2011 in GeekNights
If we were handing out episodes of GeekNights to people who did not know us, what would be the best episodes to lure them in?

Comments

• The episode that Dave and Joel did for you.
  • Previous PAX ones? :P

Dominion, Luke and Jared on RPGs, or Zooleretto might be decent ones.
  • Use one where you explain technology.
  • Use one where you explain technology.
    Can you be more specific?
  • If we were handing out episodes of GeekNights to people who did not know us, what would be the best episodes to lure them in?
    Any episode that features me.
  • edited March 2011
    If we were handing out episodes of GeekNights to people who did not know us, what would be the best episodes to lure them in?
    Yeah, that was a good one.

Or the one with Conrad about Smart Phones.

And the ones with Luke.

And the one with Alex and Emily with Muse Games.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • The ones where you guys explain your philosophy, ideology etc are my favorites. Also the ones with guests are good too.
  • And the ones with Luke.
    Both Lukes?

Also, if you guys think the episodes with guests are so great, we can do more of them. It's just that people always say they don't want us to become a show that is nothing but interviews.
  • edited March 2011
    Use one where you explain technology.
    Can you be more specific?
    I wish I could. I remember the one on IPv6 being good. I don't listen to much Geeknights anymore. I'm just saying that if you're handing out episodes to random strangers, episodes where you explain computery stuff to non-computery people would probably be appealing.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If we were handing out episodes of GeekNights to people who did not know us, what would be the best episodes to lure them in?
    Werd.
  • Both Lukes?
    I was referring to Luke Burrage, but I did mention previously the one with Luke & Jared on my first post.

But definitely the ones with gaming that I mentioned. Since it is PAX, I think it would be proper to use those.
  • I wouldn't use episodes with guests, because that would imply that guests are routine.

I'd go with one episode from each of the four shows, probably focusing on more in-depth reviews for M-W and a book club for Th.
  • I wouldn't use episodes with guests, because that would imply that guests are routine.
    No, trick them!
  • Masturbation and The Barge.
  • If Beyond D&D has become so popular and demanded, turn it into a CD. Throw Shock, Paranoia, your Luke/Jared episodes, and whatever else on one disc.
  • I like the one where Scott isn't there... >.>
  • Also, if you guys think the episodes with guests are so great, we can do more of them. It's just that people always say they don't want us to become a show that is nothing but interviews.
    Interview and guest are different things I think.

And what comes to the question of this topic. I started with how to get into x -week and while I can't say anything about the quality of those episodes now, the topics are perfect for introductionary episodes, giving broad look into every days topic.
  • edited March 2011
    Giving this some more thought, it really is a difficult question. You are looking at an intro episode here so you want to go with something true to the formula (no guests) and something also not too dated or it might be odd for the listener to hear 2+ year old news. The general formula that keeps me coming back is:

- Conversation/debate begins on topic I am interested in.
    - Scott comes up with an idea that while is awesome, is equally parts crazy and/or impractical, yet you can understand where he is coming from with perspective.
    - Rym steps in with interrogator-like cold hard logic.
    - Schoolgirl giggling commences

Find an episode where you don't have similar views on the topic. The podcast is compelling because some days I think like Scott, and other days I think like Rym. Present the listener with this choice when they hear their first episode.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited March 2011
    I think that these episodes would be good demonstrations of the Geeknights flavor: Magfest 9, Apocalypse Zero, Spell Of the Unown, Anime Scott Fell Asleep Watching, Living In the City, Immortality, Baseball, Four Swords, Faking your Death, and Seatle. Admittedly, though, I am going off memory and scrolling through the archive to a certain point(namely, the page that ended with the Seattle episode).
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • What Do We Do? is good, if quite somber.
  • The Barge
  • Which episode deals with the Barge?
  • edited March 2011
    Which episode deals with the Barge?
    The one called The Barge.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I just iTunes searched for that EXACT title. Nothing.

C'est la vie.
  • I just iTunes searched for that EXACT title. Nothing.

C'est la vie.
    iTunes only lists what is in the feed, and the feed on goes back 100 episodes. The vast majority of the archive isn't in iTunes!
  • iTunes only lists what is in the feed, and the feed on goes back 100 episodes. The vast majority of the archive isn't in iTunes!
    Not our fault.
  • Nothing before 2007, except as a historical example of how you've improved.
  • iTunes only lists what is in the feed, and the feed on goes back 100 episodes. The vast majority of the archive isn't in iTunes!
    Not our fault.
    I know. I was pointing out why searching for episodes in iTunes is pointless.
    Not our fault.
    You could have all of your episodes in the feed, not just the last 100 if you wished. It's fine that you don't, it's your call, but you could do that to to combat the iTunes dropping the day feeds
  • You could have all of your episodes in the feed, not just the last 100 if you wished. It's fine that you don't, it's your call, but you could do that to to combat the iTunes dropping the day feeds
    How is this possible?