This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random politicians FTW!

edited March 2011 in Science
arXiv blog:A small number of randomly selected legislators should make parliaments more effective, say a group of IgNobel price-winning scientists.

Comments

• So legislator duty will become the new jury duty. A responsibility mutually loathed by all.
  • We already loathe those who perform the duty voluntarily now, would it really be so bad to have those who loathe it there?

Isn't there a saying about those who would wield power the best want nothing to do with it and those who want power should be kept away at all costs? Something to that effect anyways.
  • I'd be interested in a similar study showing the effects of limiting all offices to one term.
  • I'd be interested in a similar study showing the effects of limiting all offices to one term.
    Permanent campaigning rather than legislating?
  • edited March 2011
    1 term limit plus random selection? No control over who gets picked, so there's no reason to campaign.

EDIT: This sounds like an awful, awful idea.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    This is already the case. It's just the same people campaigning time and again, term after term after term after term. KKK member Robert Byrd served in the U.S. House of Representatives for 57 years.
    This is already the case. It's just the same people campaigning time and again, term after term after term after term. KKK member Robert Byrd served in the U.S. House of Representatives for 57 years.
    Well, I propose 1-2 term limits in the House, coupled with an extension of said terms to 4-6 years.

I don't know if the Senate should have term limits or not. I'm still ambivalent.
  • I know your proposal isn't based on pure arbitrary numbers. Mind sharing the formula you used to arrive at 1-2 terms and 4-6 years?
    What makes you think those things are mutually exclusive? In theory, you should legislate to the benefit of your constituents. This should make them want to re-elect you. Legislating, done properly, is a form of campaigning.
  • I know your proposal isn't based on pure arbitrary numbers. Mind sharing the formula you used to arrive at 1-2 terms and 4-6 years?
    One of the criticisms of the house is that by the time you get any sort of hang of what you are doing and start going to work you have to run worry about reelection. A up to 2 term house of 4 years would allow much more time for work and not cause you to have to constantly campaign.