This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sym-Bionic Titan

edited March 2011 in Everything Else
I'm surprised Genndy Tartakovsky's new show isn't more popular around here. It's like Samurai Jack wrote a love letter to the Voltron and Sailor Moon settings.

The Opening Scene

Anyone else following this show?

Comments

• Me! I'm surprised it isn't more popular as well.
  • Didn't know it existed. Can you make funny JPEGs out of it?
  • I've been watching this since it first aired. I consider it apart of CN's turn to greatness again. Seriously, guys, watch this. The ponies will still be here. I like where the story is going so far now that it's in it's second season. I also love how the past is being reveled slowly throughout the episodes. The latest episode showed the details of the plot with enough action for everyone. Robots, action, making fun of teen cliches, robots, good character development and backstory, robots, ROBOTS! What the hell more do you need here!
    Didn't know it existed. Can you make funny JPEGs out of it?
  • It has humorous parts, but I wouldn't say its the sort of wacky that lends itself well to image macros.

• I've not watched it, but I do know that Major Spoilers think quite highly of it.
  • This is the only thing from Sym-Bionic Titan I've seen.

At the same time, this is very awesome and hear this particular episode was very cool.
  • So that's what this show is. I stumbled across it a couple of Saturday mornings ago while getting dressed. I only watched for three minutes, but it intrigued me. Then I had to go somewhere with the wife and it slipped my mind entirely.
  • edited March 2011
    first couple of episodes seem really good.

Tons of cool sci-fi mysteries, big robots, galactic wars, men in black,high school...

If you like Gandalf Girthing you'll like this.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited March 2011
    Been watching this, I've only watched a few episodes, but I'm really not digging the girl character that much, not only did she get the cliched "heart", she also looks like she was written as a strong female character, but she only comes off as a stupid gullible bitchy McBitch (tm).
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I watched most of S1 and fairly enjoyed it, haven't watched the last episodes so I need to catch up.
    Been watching this, I've only watched a few episodes, but I'm really not digging the girl character that much, not only did she get the cliched "heart", she also looks like she was written as a strong female character, but she only comes off as a stupid gullible bitchy McBitch (tm).
    yeah, most of the character development and focus was on Lance. Show needs more Octus.
  • edited March 2011
    It has humorous parts, but I wouldn't say its the sort of wacky that lends itself well to image macros.
    true but their not above silly jokes.

They just called to say their running out of YOU!

Personally, the fact that they play it so straight is part of the charm, like Samurai Jack.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • And now its canceled.

Sadness.
  • What! This was my favorite show. One of the best shows on CN at the moment. FAIL!
  • ...Seriously? I watched today's new episode while I was at home for the weekend (I actually had never heard of the show before), and I thought it was awesome! Hopefully someone else will pick this up... talk about terrible timing. I love Tartakovsky's work, this is criminal that a show of his would be cancelled.
  • this is criminal that a show of his would be cancelled.
    In general, shows that don't have strong merchandising ties which simultaneously draw undesirable demographics tend to get canceled. It creates a sort of perverse incentive whereby attracting a more intelligent and discerning audience will increase a show's chances of being canceled.
  • edited April 2011
    I love when I hear about what should be an awesome show after it's cancelled.

"According to a purported Cartoon Network insider, ‘Sym-Bionic Titan’ has been canceled – not due to terrible ratings, but instead due to the fact that it doesn’t have enough merchandising potential."
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • It's a robot show, how could it not have merchandising potential?
  • It creates a sort of perverse incentive whereby attracting a more intelligent and discerning audience will increase a show's chances of being canceled.
    I've noticed this before, and every time I re-realize it, a part of me dies. There really needs to be a media venue (probably not TV, for many reasons, probably the internet) where intellectual shows can thrive, and find their true audiences without being messed with by profit-minded network executives.
  • It creates a sort of perverse incentive whereby attracting a more intelligent and discerning audience will increase a show's chances of being canceled.
    I've noticed this before, and every time I re-realize it, a part of me dies. There really needs to be a media venue (probably not TV, for many reasons, probably the internet) where intellectual shows can thrive, and find their true audiences without being messed with by profit-minded network executives.
    Well, Netflix is starting to develop it's own original TV shows so...
  • Well, Netflix is starting to develop it's own original TV shows so...
    True, very true, but it remains to be seen how this will pan out. It all depends on if they decide to be awesome, or if they become the next network TV station.
  • edited April 2011
    Well, Netflix is starting to develop it's own original TV shows so...
    True, very true, but it remains to be seen how this will pan out. It all depends on if they decide to be awesome, or if they become the next network TV station.
    Oh, I agree, but at the moment, just the possibility is enough to get somewhat excited about.

When I told my friend about what Netflix was doing, he jokingly said something like: "I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Firefly fans around the world suddenly perked their heads up and cried out in joy"
    Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • When I told my friend about what Netflix was doing, he jokingly said something like: "I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Firefly fans around the world suddenly perked their heads up and cried out in joy"
    Haha I did not even think of that... oh man. What a thought.
  • Firefly won't come back. Maybe, at best, movies, but I doubt the show would ever return in any form.
  • Firefly won't come back. Maybe, at best, movies, but I doubt the show would ever return in any form.
    Oh, I agree with you, especially since it's been so long, but if that type of situation were to occur now, or a year or two from now, with a different show, just having the option of Netflix picking up the show is enough to make me happy.
  • edited April 2011
    Firefly won't come back. Maybe, at best, movies, but I doubt the show would ever return in any form.
    The logical and rational part of my mind agrees, but I think I have a bit of a distorted perspective on how old it is at times, as I only saw it for the first time last fall (thanks to Netflix). Plus, it has its legendary status due in great part to how little of it there is - new content may tarnish this. I'm not holding my breath for any new season, but either another full length movie or an HBO style miniseries have just the tiniest amount of plausibility, enough for me to convince myself that something might happen (when I get that invitation to go ice skating with Satan).

But yeah, I'm well aware that it's done. Just a bit of my inner hopeless nerd peeking out.
    Post edited by Tesla on
  • Did anyone else notice how much the "H.M.E.R." in the newest episode looks like

Giant Robo!
    (minus the head)

I couldn't find a good pic of HMER, but here's a brief video clip: