This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Death Throes of the Roman Republic

edited March 2011 in Everything Else
Does anyone else here listen to Hardcore History?

It's a cool one man history podcast done by this guy Dan Carlin. He looks at periods in history and present them as a cohesive story. He subscribes pretty heavily to the "great man" theory of history (for better for worse) but this at least makes the stories more entertaining. He calls himself a History Enthusiast after all and not a History Scholar.

Anywho, he's just finished his latest 4 part epic called "Death Throes of the Republic" which looks at the transitional years when Rome stopped being a Republic and become an Empire. It's hell of long (clocks in at ~6 hours when all 4 parts are done) but his style makes is surprisingly easy to listen too.

The TL;DR is basically that Rome stopped being a Republic when the ruling class became entrenched and divided between the elite senators who had always ruled and the ever more ambitious and powerful representatives of the plebs. Each stopped working for the whole and aimed all of their political weaponry at each other, each going further and further into territory that previous generations would have considered unthinkable in their pursuit of power over the other faction. In doing so they realized how much power they really had; the glory of myth of Rome had been a powerful influence on the previous generations and even the most cynical had never before dreamed of using their offices in such venal pursuits, or at least had had the decency to be ashamed of doing so.

In the end both sides had pushed so far that one man finally broke the ultimate taboo and marched an army into Rome and washed any illusion of representative government into the gutter with a torrent of blood and within a generation the Republic was no more.

It is probably overly dramatic but I was struck with the similarity between that and American politics in recent times, especially things like what is happening in Wisconsin.

Comments

• Yeah, that's a great podcast. He has a political one as well, called Common Sense which is unpredictable, which in this era of hyper partisan poltics is the greatest virtue that can be possessed by a political commentator.
  • I appreciate Dan's insights in both history and modern politics. I may not agree with everything but he never fails to make me think.
  • Sounds interesting, just finished an essay on this topic so it should be interesting to see what he says.
  • Scipio Africanus was the man
  • I don't think he's done with it yet. Not only did it sound like there was more yet to come, I'm pretty sure the Republic wasn't officially over until Caeser anyways. I just checked Wikipedia, and it says that the official ending point is contested between a couple different events, but we've yet to reach it in the podcast. If so, this will make it the longest time he's spent on one area yet.

He's definitely worth checking out, though. His coverage of the war between Russia and Germany in WWII was fascinating. Everything that happened in the West in that war war practically tame in comparison. I have also never even heard of someone talk about how diseases and deformities in the past could have affected behaviors in the past. How many people were born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome back when beer was practically the only thing you could drink without getting sick?
  • edited March 2011
    I appreciate Dan's insights in both history and modern politics. I may not agree with everything but he never fails to make me think.
    I feel exactly the same way. He has a way of framing a political issue that really makes you think about both sides of it (instead of just deamonizing one side). I love his history shows too, I've listened to all of them and many of them twice. He has such a great way of drawing you into the time frame (the story of the Stalingrad Bone Field was a great intro to the eastern front series!).
    Post edited by Bridger on
  • I'm pretty sure the Republic wasn't officially over until Caeser anyways
    True, but from the story Carlin tells, Marius marching an army into Rome was the North Star Hundred Crack Fist and Caeser taking over was the "omae wa mo shindeiru".
  • AmpAmp
    edited March 2011
    Having listened to an episode ( well most of it) and read about the guy it seems that he had a good base knowledge of the area. Just weary when he starts to elaborate on matters.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • (the story of the Stalingrad Bone Field was a great intro to the eastern front series!)
    I think about his description of this all the time. Even though it has been months since I last listened to it. It haunts me. I can not get the mental image out of my head of this field stretching to the horizon white with human bones. It is chilling.

Maybe it sticks with me because it is radio and I have to use my fertile imagination to fill in this blank canvas with his words. Just as the radio program of War of the Worlds is so much more terrifying than anything that Hollywood has tried to produce.
  • I have to deal with stuff like that kind of daily. Being a historian has its down sides. I would advise you not to look into Egyptian history. If you are finding his podcast good the BBC history magazine to a monthly podcast which covers wide range of topics often with some really insightful speakers.

I do find his presentation style to be kind of hard to listen to, the stop start nature makes it had to follow. That and int eh few I have listened to he does have a tenancy of focusing on some points and exaggerating other. Not saying that he gets stuff wrong just that he makes them seem a lot more grander than they were.
  • I listened to one or two Hardcore History podcasts, but didn't continue. The content was good, but the delivery wasn't good for me.
  • Its one of the problems I find. So few historians unwilling to embrace new media, and those that do try often struggle. Saying that I found Lars Brownworth's series to be really enjoyable.