This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Skateboarding

edited March 2011 in Everything Else
Bike is often too big to take in small cars and I can't get skates or blades due to my feet being too big, would a skateboard be a good alternative for medium distance (Between urban centres.) faster than walking travel? What kind of costs are there for a beginner's skateboard?

Comments

• Bike is often too big to take in small cars and I can't get skates or blades due to my feet being too big, would a skateboard be a good alternative for medium distance (Between urban centres.) faster than walking travel? What kind of costs are there for a beginner's skateboard?
    If you want a skateboard for travel, the longboard is usually the way to go. Also, don't give up on bikes or blades just set. No matter how freakish your foot, there are blades out there. You just have to look harder. Also, there are folding bikes that will fit in your car. Also, even with a small car, there is definitely some sort of bike rack that you can get.
  • The problem with long boards is space and are really not good when you need to react quickly. They are however super awesome if you live near large hills with very little traffic then they come into there own. For a town/city standard size usually does the job. Having said that I am seeing fish-boards making a resurgence.
  • Oritatami jitensha!
  • I suppose Japanese people wouldn't be that familiar with skateboards, what with them not having brakes to stop you speeding down hills.
  • Also, don't give up on bikes or blades just set. No matter how freakish your foot, there are blades out there.
    I'm pretty sure Roces make suitably sized inline skates - the problem is they say they go up to size 17, but skates are often a half size smaller than the size they proclaim.
  • Another idea is to try the collapsible scooter, another not as good it might be the thing you are looking for over long distance.

For a beginners board it can be £55-75, depending on what you want. It all falls down to what you are comfortable with and whether you want to start using it for other things. You defiantly want good bearings and wheels other wise you will develop one massive leg.
  • I got a vinyl cruiser because all my friends have them now and it's a compact thing I can ride to class on and don't have to worry too much about someone stealing. Also it glows in the dark.

• That is the worst thing ever. It is purely a fashion accessory nothing more. You gain nothing by using it, hell it is worse than a traditional deck. Get your money back and get a full size board or a long board.

Though glow in the dark is kind of cool.
  • Short boards are pretty dope. There's an arbor one I always want to get but I have less use for it now than previously. I would ride my longboard more but people don't really understand that I will maneuver around you on the sidewalk don't try and avoid me. Also just too many people here walking.

Skateboards are mostly for doing tricks on. Longboards are much better at getting around but are slightly less maneuverable which is where the short board comes in.
  • edited September 2013
    That is the worst thing ever. It is purely a fashion accessory nothing more. You gain nothing by using it, hell it is worse than a traditional deck. Get your money back and get a full size board or a long board.

Though glow in the dark is kind of cool.
    Hey, fuck you. I'd love to ride my longboard to class but it's cumbersome to carry around inside and I'd rather not risk having my $350 Dervish stolen if I have to leave it somewhere.
    Longboards are much better at getting around but are slightly less maneuverable which is where the short board comes in.
    THANK you.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • AmpAmp
    edited September 2013
    I have seen no point having those short boards. You can't skate on them, their are a pain to ride and are utlimatly useless. I get not wanting an expensive longboard stolen but man shorts are crap.

Edit; They are like the fixies of skateboards. Yes they work but they are not practical in any sense.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • I have seen no point having those short boards. You can't skate on them, their are a pain to ride and are utlimatly useless. I get not wanting an expensive longboard stolen but man shorts are crap.

Edit; They are like the fixies of skateboards. Yes they work but they are not practical in any sense.
    Except that when he gets to his destination he can easily carry it around and possibly even just shove it in a bag of some kind?????
  • I have seen no point having those short boards. You can't skate on them, their are a pain to ride and are utlimatly useless. I get not wanting an expensive longboard stolen but man shorts are crap.

Those things are amazing for cruising a bowl. Yeah your can't do I tricks but they can be really fun. Saying they are a pain to ride is a matter of opinion but I know many skaters much more proficient than I who really like those boards.
  • AmpAmp
    edited September 2013
    I have seen no point having those short boards. You can't skate on them, their are a pain to ride and are utlimatly useless. I get not wanting an expensive longboard stolen but man shorts are crap.

Those things are amazing for cruising a bowl. Yeah your can't do I tricks but they can be really fun. Saying they are a pain to ride is a matter of opinion but I know many skaters much more proficient than I who really like those boards.
    The classic fish is better for bowl. Boards have come so far that this is obsolet.

Also I would argue that it is the same faff regaurdless of size, save for a long. I get that it boils down to personal prefference but these are a massive pain for me. In the UK at least they are nothing more than fashion accessories, getting in the way at parts and ridden by people who do not know how to skate.

Edit; I should say that is not "cant skate" snobbery that is they do not bother to learn how to properly skate, it would be like riding a bike without using one of your legs.
    Post edited by Amp on