This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Health Care Professions

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    MD, all the way. I like working with people and solving problems.
    I like the solving problems, but if I were going to go to all the trouble of becoming a doctor, I'd want to be an evil doctor. I mean, I'd still do my job as well as I could, but at night, I'd still be doing my experiments in weaponizing small pox.

We're friend with a guy who has an MD/PhD. He specializes in pediatric reconstructive surgery, specifically fixing hare lips. My solution for a hare lip is to grow a moustache. I knew a sheriff's deputy who grew a moustache over his harelip and he looked just fine. Anyway, our friend says he's actually not paid very well, but he's always going to crazy third world countries for Doctors Without Borders and stuff. When he does that, he's gone for a long time, lives in crappy third world conditions, and is paid virtually nothing. Fuck that. I'm spending my extra time on small pox, or in the alternative, a virus that causes all the neutrophils in a person's body to simultaneously undergo respiratory burst.

I was talking to my sister-in-law, who's a PhD in psychology, about getting a PhD in microbiology. I said that I thought my dissertation topic would be weaponizing small pox. She said, "I don't know if you could get sponsors for that." I said, "I'll bet I could. Russia, North Korea, and Libya come to mind."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'd still be doing my experiments in weaponizing small pox.
    We did that to the natives using blankets. That's not really a novel contribution to the field.
  • edited March 2011
    I'd still be doing my experiments in weaponizing small pox.
    We did that to the natives using blankets. That's not really a novel contribution to the field.
    It's an oldie but a goodie. Also, I'm thinking more along the lines of a aerosol. With small pox having been virtually unknown for decades, and herd immunity becoming an iffy thing with all the people refusing vaccines, it wouldn't matter how novel the contribution, but how devastating the resulting epidemic.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Wow. Those career choices all make me balk completely. I think I might actually prefer to stay unemployed rather than take any one of them. I guess I might be willing to go into nursing if I could specialize in pediatrics. Maybe. I'm good at taking care of other people.

My mom & stepdad have both been through med school. Been there, seen that, not interested in the least.

Pharmacy = chemistry. I run the other way. I can do chem, but I hate it.

Dentistry means messing with people's mouths all day. I am super picky about mouths. I have a super tiny kissing comfort zone (unless I am drinking) and even certain chewing noises drive me crazy. Plus I'm super sensitive to smells. I don't think I could do it very long.
  • Dentistry means messing with people's mouths all day. I am super picky about mouths. I have a super tiny kissing comfort zone (unless I am drinking) and even certain chewing noises drive me crazy. Plus I'm super sensitive to smells. I don't think I could do it very long.
    Me too!
    I like the solving problems, but if I were going to go to all the trouble of becoming a doctor, I'd want to be an evil doctor. I mean, I'd still do my job as well as I could, but at night, I'd still be doing my experiments in weaponizing small pox.
    I'm not afraid of you! I have my own cute evil scientist virologist who promised her friends immunity in the face of her inevitable super-virus.
  • I'm with Nuri none of these seem appealing to me at all. Maybe being the research medical doctor, but even then the effort and money spent to get there isn't worth it to me. I'd just rather get a doctorate in something non-medical and get some prestige even if it isn't as much as a medical doctor would.
  • My solution for a hare lip is to grow a moustache. I knew a sheriff's deputy who grew a moustache over his harelip and he looked just fine. Anyway, our friend says he's actually not paid very well, but he's always going to crazy third world countries for Doctors Without Borders and stuff. When he does that, he's gone for a long time, lives in crappy third world conditions, and is paid virtually nothing. Fuck that
    Yeah having been one of the people that helped out with that stuff I would disagree. The amount of good that it does is staggering. Money isn't everything when you change someones life.

Always fancied being a doctor, defiantly not qualified but I would love to do more work with Doctors Without Boarders, or something in that vain.
  • My solution for a hare lip is to grow a moustache.
    Stacey Keach actually keeps his moustache to cover up a scar from repairing a cleft palate and hare lip.
  • I can be tough to get the 'tash to cover it up.I split my upper lip open when I was a child and now have to really grow the 'tash out to cover it.
  • And what about girls who have cleft lips? Or guys that don't get much facial hair?
  • And what about girls who have cleft lips? Or guys that don't get much facial hair?
    Totally agree with you. One of the girls I was teaching was absolutely lovely but hardly came to school because of her cleft lip. Having seen the amount of good work that doctors can do really makes me wish I could be one.
  • And what about girls who have cleft lips?
    Convert to Islam and wear a burka.