This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Beowulf the Event: The Video (Feedback Requested)

eXNMhxl8zao

So a week ago, my local SCA group put on this event. We re-created an 11th-century Anglo-Saxon meadhall, split the entirety of Beowulf between 31 performers, and then recited the epic. The goal was to tell the story the way it would have been told in 1000 A.D. It's an "immersion" event; we basically tried to strip away as much of the 20th century as we possibly could, and try to transport ourselves back in time. Each performer put their own spin on things; several performers chose to do musical renditions, for example. We also had bits of Old English spoken in there.

This is a video clip of my own performance - I'm known as Magnus the Stout in the SCA. At this point in the story, Beowulf has already slain Grendel and Grendel's mother, freeing Heorot and King Hrothgar of this terrible plague. Beowulf and his men (the Geats) return to Gotland, where he essentially de-briefs his king Hygelac and the rest of the Geat-folk on his adventures. Beowulf has just told the hall what he learned of Danish politics while he was over there. In this segment, Beowulf now proceeds to give an accounting of his battles with monsters.

I'm not looking for a critique of the technical aspects of the recording. It's crap and I know it. This is a quick-and-dirty compression that I did to get the file size down to 100 megs. The hall was dimly lit, I had to shoot from a fixed position in hands-free mode, and the camera isn't the best for shooting in these conditions. I could probably crop out the left quarter of the shot and the top part of the frame, to remove the most obvious modern aspects. The audio comes from the camera. There is a better audio recording, and I might splice that in if this proves to be a useful endeavor.

Generally, I don't want feedback on lighting or framing or anything like that, because I know that all needs a shitfuckton of work. That's not what I'm after.

See, I'm aware that the SCA is typically shown as a bunch of nerdlingers in cardboard armor beating each other with sticks. And to be fair, we are. That's a lot of what we do. However, that's not the group's goal, and my hope is that this video can at least try to get that point across.

So I'm talking about higher-level feedback here. Given the technical problems with the video, what do you actually think about the thing that's being done here? Is it cool? Could you maybe see yourself doing something like this? Does it look less like dorks in cardboard armor and more like an amateur theater group?

I also know I said that I "generally" don't want technical feedback. However, if the technical feedback you'd give relates back to the higher-level questions I posed, go ahead and give it. Bear in mind that this is what the video looks like. I could fuck with light levels and cropping, but this is the data that the camera recorded. The uncompressed video shows my hands a little bit better, but not by a lot. The next time we do an event like this, we're going to build video recording into the set. However, at no point will the lighting ever be better than this. We will not bring in a light panel, because it would break immersion. If the video just isn't feasible or workable, we won't do it.

So be honest. What do you think? Could you see yourself watching more of this? Telling your friends about it? Does this make you interested in looking into what the SCA is all about?

EDIT: Changed thread title to be more direct.

Comments

• We will not bring in a light panel, because it would break immersion.
    What is the goal? Is it to reproduce Beowulf as a amateur film or are you reenacting Beowulf for the benefit of those who are there and filming the reenactment for posterity?
  • edited April 2011
    you reenacting Beowulf for the benefit of those who are there and filming the reenactment for posterity?
    This one. Filming is the lowest priority. The intent is to do a live performance. The video is to advertise the performance and the organization, not to give you the experience. It's also a record of what we did, so that each performer can analyze their performance and look for ways to improve it.

And really, video cannot replicate this sort of live performance. There's an indescribable "magic" that happens when this all comes together, and it doesn't translate in film.

Basically, the video is to show the world what we strive to do. If you think it looks interesting, go research your local chapter.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited April 2011
    The video is to advertise the performance and the organization
    If that is the intent of the video you might have to suffer through making an actual film to get people interested. It'll be boring and repetitive and frustrating but the result will be a thousand times better. Then again you might have an ass load of fun.

When food is shown in commercials it is almost never the actual food you would be eating. In fact, it is likely that the food you see in the commercial is totally inedible.

Even though you're getting the one on the right, you are tasting the one on the left (at least I do, because I like Big Macs. Wanna fight about it?).

What you have posted is doing a disservice to what you guys are tying to do and would hurt you more than it helps.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Yeah, Pete. What you're doing interests me a lot, actually, but you might want to bring in a light setup sometime that you're not doing an actual event and just shoot some properly lit video. Use gels and a clever dimmer program so the lighting looks like its from a giant fire or something, instead of artificial lighting.
  • edited April 2011
    at least I do, because I like Big Macs. Wanna fight about it?
    The double quarter pounder is superior.
    What you have posted is doing a disservice to what you guys are tying to do and would hurt you more than it helps.
    This is what I was afraid of. It's difficult, because we really didn't want to break immersion. I had wanted to get the camera situated in the audience somewhere, hidden in a pouch, but that proved to be nearly impossible. One of the other performers hypothetically has some video as well; I need to see if his is better than mine.
    Use gels and a clever dimmer program so the lighting looks like its from a giant fire or something, instead of artificial lighting.
    Well, that's basically what we did here. I think that a camera inside the lighted area would've been fine; the major issue is that I shot through darkness into dim light. That's a recipe for disaster.

But I think you guys might be on to something with the idea of shooting a "commercial." I'll collect some more feedback first before I launch into something like that, though. We'll need to recruit a lot of extras, and there's no fucking way we're going to rebuild that entire set just to shoot a commercial.
    What you're doing interests me a lot, actually
    Does this video pique your curiosity and make you interested into looking into it more, or does it make you say "WTF you nerds?"
  • edited April 2011
    So be honest. What do you think? Could you see yourself watching more of this? Telling your friends about it? Does this make you interested in looking into what the SCA is all about?
    Here is a good informational ad for the SCA (apparently a failed documentary) SCA Documentary preview
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't the poem have been recited by some sort of minstrel dude (preferably a blind beggar sort) if you're shooting for accuracy?
  • Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't the poem have been recited by some sort of minstrel dude (preferably a blind beggar sort) if you're shooting for accuracy?
    The 31 performers are those minstrels. That's sort of the point.

Technically, it would've been a scop - probably an old, retired warrior - with a lap harp or similar instrument, reciting the tale. It wouldn't have been a blind beggar, as the storytellers were widely regarded as being old, wise, and valuable.

It's a little tough for one person to memorize the entire epic alone, so we split it. Think of it like watching snippets of 31 different renditions.

It might make more sense when you see more of the performances.
  • edited April 2011
    It wouldn't have been a blind beggar, as the storytellers were widely regarded as being old, wise, and valuable.
    Well, I didn't really mean that he wouldn't be regarded as old, wise, and valuable. I'm pretty sure that beggars had some value, especially as storytellers, but as there was no social security, IRAs, Keoghs, or such, some old people who didn't have family support simply begged.
    It's a little tough for one person to memorize the entire epic alone, so we split it.
    Then, you guys must not be very devoted to the SCA.;P Hey, I used an emoticon!
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I'm pretty sure that beggars had some value, especially as storytellers, but as there was no social security, IRAs, Keoghs, or such, some old people who didn't have family support simply begged.
    Sure, but that usually wasn't the case with a scop. He had an actual place in the king's court.

Of course, this is also Anglo-Saxon times. There really isn't much difference between a guy in the king's court and a beggar anyhow.

But in the strictest sense, no, the storyteller was generally not comparatively destitute.
    OK, you memorize 3120 lines of verse and then get back to me. :P

I also enjoyed having the multiple performers, as it gave you some insight into the different ways that you can interpret the work.
  • edited April 2011
    OK, you memorize 3120 lines of verse and then get back to me. :P
    If I was a devoted SCA person, I probably would.

I know the point and all of your event, but isn't there anyone in the SCA (asking because I don't know - serious question not meant to be sarcastic) that would just devote himself to playing the scop, or are all people in the SCA pretty much playing knights and warriors and cool stuff? Are there any hapless yeomen? Any toothless, syphlitic old whores? Any shit-covered serfs?
  • Are there any hapless yeomen? Any toothless, syphlitic old whores? Any shit-covered serfs?
    In my limited experience there can be :-p
  • edited April 2011
    I know the point and all of your event, but isn't there anyone in the SCA (asking because I don't know - serious question not meant to be sarcastic) that would just devote himself to playing the scop, or are all people in the SCA pretty much playing knights and warriors and cool stuff? Are there any hapless yeomen? Any toothless, syphlitic old whores? Any shit-covered serfs?
    Tons and tons and tons. Everyone who performed at this event is a bard, a more-or-less dedicated performer. The art director, Master Toki Redbeard, is a skald. He fought, back in his younger days of yore, but gave that up in favor of being a viking storyteller.

The SCA is notorious for being a massive hobby. And you don't have to limit yourself to one thing. A couple of the guys in this are both warriors and bards. In fact, one of the criteria for knighthood is that you be a well-rounded gentleman, with more to you than just fighting.

By and large, the people who show up just to don cardboard armor and beat each other with sticks are called "stick jocks," and they're not typically held in high regard. Some are, but those guys are good sports.

I know a blacksmith, several bards (including myself), a couple of brewers/vintners (including myself), a carpenter, seamstresses, musicians, knitters, cooks, and a whole host of non-fighting types.

The SCA is a participatory organization, so you get out of it what you put into it. You want to be a shit-covered serf? Be the best goddamn shit-covered serf you can.

As for the memorizing all of Beowulf, it's a tall order. Two of our performers are professors of English literature, whose Ph.D.'s focus on Old English literature specifically. They each have about 20 - 25 years of instruction under their belts, and are incredibly familiar with Beowulf. One of them recited about 25 or so of her lines in Old English, to help create the proper atmosphere. They each took sections of approximately 200 lines each, because that's all they could really manage.

The problem with memorizing the epic isn't a lack of dedication - it's just that, in this day and age, it's really almost impossible. A scop in the 11th century only told stories. Maybe he fought and farmed too. But replace every bit of your modern idle time with storytelling. That's how people actually knew the whole epic.

But if you could pull it off, your local group would love to hear it.
  • Also, Joe: If you're ever interested in checking this stuff out, you're in the Kingdom of Atlantia, and specifically in the Barony of Bright Hills. Bright Hills has a pretty decent newcomer's page.
  • Pete, he is trolling you. You don't have to defend the level of dedication. That's one of the great things about the SCA - you can do as much or as little as you want.

You might also mention that the creative anachronism part is the part where we don't cover ourselves in shit and die of the plague. There's a reason it's the Society for Creative Anachronism and not the Society for Strict Re-enactment.
  • edited April 2011
    Pete, he is trolling you.
    No, I'm not. I was trying to imply a joke along the lines of "how funny would it be if an SCA person was so devoted that he memorized all of Beowulf" No trolling intended at all. If my joke was not funny or missed its mark, that's my fault.
    You might also mention that the creative anachronism part is the part where we don't cover ourselves in shit and die of the plague. There's a reason it's the Society for Creative Anachronism and not the Society for Strict Re-enactment.
    You can be pretty creative doing things covered in shit. At least, that's what performance artists I went to see in my undergrad days would try to tell you.
  • edited April 2011
    No trolling intended at all. If my joke was not funny or missed its mark, that's my fault.
    I actually didn't take it as trolling at all. I thought you were serious and making a genuine inquiry as to the feasibility of doing that.

There are people in the SCA crazy enough to try it. I mean, we were crazy enough to build a set to mimic an 11th-century mead hall and then perform the entirety of Beowulf in one sitting. That's a little nuts.
    You might also mention that the creative anachronism part is the part where we don't cover ourselves in shit and die of the plague.
    The video comments mention that.

Basically, we took the good stuff and cut out the parts where you lived a horrible life and died before you were 30. That's hardly any fun.
  • No trolling intended at all. If my joke was not funny or missed its mark, that's my fault.
    I actually didn't take it as trolling at all. I thought you were serious and making a genuine inquiry as to the feasibility of doing that.
    I equate a joke that Pete takes seriously to trolling. Funny trolling. I do it frequently because it's funny when he just starts to go off on something without thinking about who he is talking to and why they would ask that.
  • edited April 2011
    What you're doing interests me a lot, actually
    Does this video pique your curiosity and make you interested into looking into it more, or does it make you say "WTF you nerds?"
    More of the first, but a little bit of both. One of my favorite teachers was a huge SCA nerd, and I also met a pretty cool guy through her that makes a significant amount of money making chainmail pieces. I've always liked SCA, just never gotten involved. The one here is a little unfriendly sometimes, from what I've heard, which doesn't really help matters.
    Use gels and a clever dimmer program so the lighting looks like its from a giant fire or something, instead of artificial lighting.
    Well, that's basically what we did here. I think that a camera inside the lighted area would've been fine; the major issue is that I shot through darkness into dim light. That's a recipe for disaster.

But I think you guys might be on to something with the idea of shooting a "commercial." I'll collect some more feedback first before I launch into something like that, though. We'll need to recruit a lot of extras, and there's no fucking way we're going to rebuild that entire set just to shoot a commercial.
    The best way to do it would probably be to wait until after the event is over, but leave the set up so that you can shoot some stock footage before striking it. Then, fill out the commercial with a few short interviews with people who describe what they do for the Barony or whatever, as well as what their experiences have been. Aim for 5-7 minutes.

Also, the more I look at that newcomers page, the more interested I get. The idea of cooking a massive feast and then camping seems pretty awesome to me. Building a page of more "mainstream" SCA stuff might also be worth your while, if people want an entertaining way to get more information. This episode of The Supersizers for example, has a lot of the elements without total immersion.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Personally, I think video is the wrong way to try and get people involved in this. All you need is a juicy description of the event to put on a flyer that you can attach to a Facebook event. Curiosity is what is going to draw people in, and having video is going to work against you on that front. Emphasize the literary and high-brow aspects of the event, draw on some of the hipster crowd. Appeal to people who consider themselves "intellectuals" and they will come in droves.
  • The idea of cooking a massive feast and then camping seems pretty awesome to me.
    This is, like, 50% of what I like in the SCA. It helps that the household with which I camp is ostensibly Viking-themed (really, it's just that Toki is a Viking persona and is the head of the household), and they're all a bunch of lushes.

Boozing, camping, eating, and women in corsets? What's not to love?
    Then, fill out the commercial with a few short interviews with people who describe what they do for the Barony or whatever, as well as what their experiences have been. Aim for 5-7 minutes.
    I think a "behind the scenes" series of interviews is totally the way to go with that. We're planning on doing this again at Pennsic, though without the set.
    More of the first, but a little bit of both.
    I'll take it. The video is what it is.

At this point, the performers have all demanded that this go up on Youtube, irrespective of quality. Some of the segments are definitely better than others, and a good number are actually pretty cool. I'll be putting up the clips without any additional compression (the hands-free easy mode that I used for filming shoots a high-bitrate MPEG by default), so they'll be anywhere from 150 - 300 MB each. In this era of plentiful broadband, that shouldn't really be much of an issue.
    The one here is a little unfriendly sometimes, from what I've heard, which doesn't really help matters.
    This can definitely kill it. I lucked out in that I met awesome people right off the bat. There are definitely wankers about, and if you're not careful, they can wreck your day.
    One of my favorite teachers was a huge SCA nerd, and I also met a pretty cool guy through her that makes a significant amount of money making chainmail pieces.
    These are the people that are your in. If you liked them as people, you'll like them as SCAdians, for the most part. When you decide you have the time, get back in touch with them and express interest. A lot of getting involved in the SCA is being introduced to the right people.
    I do it frequently because it's funny when he just starts to go off on something without thinking about who he is talking to and why they would ask that.
    Damn me and my relentlessly patterned behavior.
  • I equate a joke that Pete takes seriously to trolling. Funny trolling. I do it frequently because it's funny when he just starts to go off on something without thinking about who he is talking to and why they would ask that.
    That maybe the case but one of the best ways to reverse troll is to take someone completely serious when they ask a ridiculous question... ^_^
  • All you need is a juicy description of the event to put on a flyer that you can attach to a Facebook event.
    We actually did just this! It generated a lot of buzz on Facebook, but alas, it wasn't a public event. Thus, it generated a lot of buzz within the SCA, but we couldn't really use it to get new people involved.

Part of the thing about advertising the SCA is that it's a participatory organization, not a spectatorial one. So, we want people to join, but we also want people who want to be involved instead of people who are just looking to gawk at shiny things. Does that make sense? Granted, the only requirement to attending anything is that you make an attempt at 16th century (or earlier) garb. Still, that's enough of a barrier that it keeps out the "unwashed masses."

Ideally, the video would serve partly to put forth the spectacle, and the idea would be to get people interested in being part of that spectacle. Personally, I don't have a problem just throwing stuff out there, but you wind up having to do a lot of explaining every time someone asks "What the heck is this all about?"

But I definitely like the idea of using a poster as general advertisement. We're actually having T-shirts made to commemorate the event, so little things like that might be a good way to get people asking what the heck is going on.
  • If more people come to the event, will it be better? I mean, and I'm not trying to be snide, do you think it is so good that random people turning up and enjoying themselves is worth all the effort of promotion?
  • If more people come to the event, will it be better? I mean, and I'm not trying to be snide, do you think it is so good that random people turning up and enjoying themselves is worth all the effort of promotion?
    We don't so much want to promote a specific Event as the whole SCA. The SCA is usually promoted with clips from wars or demos of fighting. Most of the arts & sciences stuff gets left out, even though that' s at least 50% of what goes on in the SCA. We want people who aren't necessarily interested in fighting to know that there is stuff here for them. Generally a video like this would say "check out the kind of stuff we do - you can come do this stuff too!" We want people to see this and then show up to the group and play, not the single Event that is already in the past.
  • Generally a video like this would say "check out the kind of stuff we do - you can come do this stuff too!"
    This is entirely the intent. Yeah, I am also trying to advertise the event itself, but that's mostly to other SCAdians. To the "mundane" folks, I'm just trying to get out a glimpse into some of the other stuff that the SCA does, or can do.