This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Streets of Rage Remake

edited April 2011 in Video Games
Streets of Rage Remake blog

So this sounds amazing. Like most fan made remake projects, I never actually expect it to get finished but after apparently 8 years of work, this one is complete. I'm downloading now but won't be able to check it out until later. Anyone play this yet?

Comments

• You would think with all the legit remakes going around that they would have done a legitimate 2.5D Streets of Rage 5 for XBLA. Thing is, how can they possibly get music that lives up to the originals?
  • Not sure what they did for this remake, but if they're already stealing all of the characters and graphics, I would just steal the soundtracks too and reuse them. Maybe get some really talented OCR people to remix them? I completely agree that the SOR music is incredibly hard to beat. I still have SOR2 on my iPod.
  • Yeah I pretty much can't tell difference between the remake and the original in the promo picture. I figured they would have upped the resolution like how it was done in SF2HD remix, but it doesn't seem that different.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah I pretty much can't tell difference between the remake and the original in the promo picture. I figured they would have upped the resolution like how it was done in SF2HD remix, but it doesn't seem that different.
    Yeah, I wonder what was up with that. I'm thinking that it will actually be HD when you run it. If not, I'll just continue emulating the originals.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Tested this out for a few minutes at lunch. Only got to play 1 level. Music sounded close to the originals. It could have been for all I know, but it definitely wasn't a SOR2 song. Might have been a SOR1 track.

Control was beautiful, game seems really well done, but you guys will be majorly dissapointed with the resolution. It's in the 320 pixels range. You can zoom it to 640 and fullscreen it, which still looks OK, but that shit is not HD by any stretch. I think playing for of this is def worth my time.
  • So what you're saying is its basically the same exact game.
  • edited April 2011
    So what you're saying is its basically the same exact game.
    it's SOR 1-3 mixed up all into one game. There's branching plots, all the characters, and remixes music. It all works natively on the PC. The fighting itself is exactly the same.
    Post edited by Nine Boomer on
  • edited April 2011
    It looks like once you beat the game it unlocks a level creator.

Edit: Also, there's online leaderboards for score competition. There were some alternate modes of play that I am unfamiliar with listed as well, that of course were locked by default.

I really don't feel like being forced to play through this whole thing to unlock new features. So frustrating that you can't just play around with it to start.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited April 2011
    Loaded this on the HTPC last night and to my surprise it did not look like total ass on the 42" screen. It looked just as good as you would expect if you hooked up your Genesis.

Also to my surprise, they've mixed up the levels quite a bit. This is not a direct port. For instance, in the first level of SOR2, they've added a pause moment in the middle where the camera pans up to reveal a window sniper. A targeting recticle appears on the screen and you have to stay out of it while it moves around and fires shots. Beat up everyone on the screen and you're allowed to move on.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Sega lawyers got onto this as expected and pull it down. If anyone really wants it, I can send it to you.