This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Martial Arts Films

edited April 2011 in Movies
Watched this and now I'm kinda in the mood for some martial arts movies. Suggestions? Already seen Iron Monkey but that's about it.
Scn4wm8RD-o

Comments

• I'll recommend The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

Paul Chapman appreciates Kung Fu Panda (which is great movie by the way)
  • Here are some favorites:
    Enter the Dragon and Return of the Dragon, Bruce Lee's best movies in my mind
    Drunken Master and Drunken Master 2, though as best I know the only version of the second out in the US is dubbed only
    Police Story(not all martial arts but there is some)
    Bloodsport(which is almost American Enter the Dragon)
    Revenge of the Ninja(get the version in the 3 pack with American Ninja and Rage of Honor, it's the only widescreen release I know of)
  • Jean Claude van Damme and Steven Segal movies need not apply.
  • Jean Claude van Damme and Steven Segal movies need not apply.
    You, sir, are a fool. Steven Seagal sucks, but JCVD is awesome. Bloodsport and Kickboxer are definitely built on the time-honored kung-fu tradition of "Apply gimmick, FIGHT."

Also:

Master of the Flying Guillotine
    Five Deadly Venoms
    One Armed Boxer
    Kung Fu Hustle
    Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
    Rumble In The Bronx
    Mystery of Chessboxing (Dat Ghost Face Killing Plate)
    The "Once Upon a Time in China" series of wuxia epics (Four of which star Jet Li)
  • edited April 2011
    Watched this and now I'm kinda in the mood for some martial arts movies. Suggestions? Already seen Iron Monkey but that's about it.

Ip Man is fantastic if you haven't seen it.

Hmm, I haven't seen very many, but I remember Ong Bak being pretty good. Just saw Drunken Master which was fun and if you like wuxia there is; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero, and Fearless which I liked.

Also recently saw Red Cliff, which was a great epic war film.
    Post edited by Aqua Mage on
  • JCVD is awesome. Bloodsport and Kickboxer are definitely built on the time-honored kung-fu tradition of "Apply gimmick, FIGHT."
    OH! I must have been confusing him with someone else. I looked up a picture of him and I was like "Wait a minute, That's JCVD?"
  • edited April 2011

Did I win?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Ip Man is an amazing movie. I especially liked when the evil Japanese guy was pointing the gun at the kid and going "pew" "pew.: Also, dat 10-man fight.
  • Oh, I forgot Hero, starring Jet Li. That's a really good one I need to rewatch sometime soon. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is good but I feel that it's a bit stuffy. Movies like Hero are more accessible and more action packed, though they don't have quite the level of wire work that Crouching Tiger does.
  • Just personally, the only Jet Li film I've ever really liked was the original version of Fearless. Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of stuff with him, I'm a bigger Jackie Chan fan.
  • I'll throw out a couple of American martial arts films for various reasons. "Black Belt Jones" A combination martial arts and blacksploitation movie. The other being "Only the Strong" Not only Mark Dacascos' first starring movie, but using a rarely seen style.
  • edited April 2011
    Can never go wrong with Jackie chan movies, especially earlier stuff - The police story films are excellent, but police story 2 and 4 are my favorites so far, but the final fight in the original is fucking immense. City hunter is funny(With Jackie chan as...Chun Li?), Project A, Wheels on Meals(Including one of the best fights ever put to film), Gorgeous, First strike, The drunken master films are a must, Dragon Lord(one of the few times Jackie gets his shit comprehensively ruined), Dragons forever, Heart of the Dragon, Rumble in the Bronx, Who am I, the list just goes on and on.

Equilibrium has some EXCELLENT fights, too, the matrix movies, for all their flaws, have consistently awesome fights all the way through, Ong Bak is fucking brutal and amazing. And anything with JeeJa Yanin is a surefire winner, Chocolate is a good example of her work.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Can never go wrong with Jackie chan movies, especially earlier stuff - The police story films are excellent, but police story 2 and 4 are my favorites so far, but the final fight in the original is fucking immense. City hunter is funny(With Jackie chan as...Chun Li?), Project A, Wheels on Meals(Including one of the best fights ever put to film), Gorgeous, First strike, The drunken master films are a must, Dragon Lord(one of the few times Jackie gets his shit comprehensively ruined), Dragons forever, Heart of the Dragon, Rumble in the Bronx, Who am I, the list just goes on and on.

Equilibrium has some EXCELLENT fights, too, the matrix movies, for all their flaws, have consistently awesome fights all the way through, Ong Bak is fucking brutal and amazing. And anything with JeeJa Yanin is a surefire winner, Chocolate is a good example of her work.
    Is Police Story 4 the one that came out in the US as Jackie Chan's First Strike?
  • Is Police Story 4 the one that came out in the US as Jackie Chan's First Strike?
    Yep. Half the movie is set in my hometown.
  • Rush Hour 3