This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is Kinect worth having?

edited April 2011 in Video Games
Is it? Why?

Comments

• I would get one if it were $50.
  • edited April 2011
    Kinect is a lot more worthwhile if you are capable of programming it to do other things. I am, I just don't have time for it with all this other shit going on. If it's just for games, I wouldn't get one.

Well, maybe you really are serious about Dance Central. Then I guess you should get it. After all, it costs less than what I paid for the real guitar.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Dance Central is very fun, but I need to play more of it to be worth the money I paid for. It was an impulse buy, but I had the money.

I know people who are into Robotics are loving it.
  • edited April 2011
    Has anyone tried Yoostar 2? Do you need any other special equipment besides the Kinect?
    I know people who are into Robotics are loving it.
    Please elaborate.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The Kinect is a cool piece of technology, but there isn't really much to show off that tech right now. Also, you need a pretty big, open space to be able to use it, which kind of limits where it can be used.
  • Also, you need a pretty big, open space to be able to use it
    How big?
  • Please elaborate.
    I forget, but I think that the hardware is open enough they can use it for programming in robots. Ask Andrew. He knows more.
  • Also, you need a pretty big, open space to be able to use it
    How big?
    You need a few feet per person for just moving around and the Kinect needs a certain amount of open space just so that it can track you.
  • You need a few feet per person for just moving around and the Kinect needs a certain amount of open space just so that it can track you.
    You can't play Kinect in a fucking dorm room. That's Microsoft telling you to go to fucking school. :P

Iirc, you need about 6 feet of space between yourself and the sensor. I have to move my couch back to play.

Wikipedia stoof.
  • I am instantly sceptical about any add-on to a console. As Scott said, if you are so into 1 game that it is worth the money for you, then go ahead and buy it. However, if you are banking on future software to make it fully worth your while, then I caution you to spend your money elsewhere. It makes little sense for the most talented software development teams to make their high-quality products available to a limited audience (Kinect owners vs. all 360 owners).

A few good titles may come out, but the markets for games that rely on a specific accessory is always short lived. Digital distribution helps make developing around accessories more feasible b/c you've eliminated a cost barrier for a niche product, but I don't think we're quite there yet.
  • Please elaborate.
    It is a video camera with the ability to perceive depth.