This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGStock

edited April 2011 in Everything Else
It appears MAGfest is going to be doing something intersting this summer. Not much is known about MAGstock but it sounds like an outdoor concert and gaming event in a camping ground in August. Anyone else interested?

Edit: Now with link fixed!

Comments

• It appears MAGfest is going to be doing something intersting this summer. Not much is known about MAGstock but it sounds like an outdoor concert and gaming event in a camping ground in August. Anyone else interested?
    I've always said there needs to be an outside geek convention.
  • It appears MAGfest is going to be doing something intersting this summer. Not much is known about MAGstock but it sounds like an outdoor concert and gaming event in a camping ground in August. Anyone else interested?
    I've always said there needs to be an outside geek convention.
    This sounds much more enticing than your current option, ren faires.
  • edited April 2011
    This sounds much more enticing than your current option, ren faires.
    That's a faire, not a convention.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • This sounds much more enticing than your current option, ren faires.
    That's a faire, not a convention.
    We don't know much about MAGstock so we could argue in circles, but I don't know if it will fit your definition of what constitutes a convention either. My point was that I also know of no full-blown outdoor geek convention, but of all geek gatherings, this could be your closest approximation.
  • This sounds like a neat idea, but it is out in the fucking sticks.
  • This sounds like a neat idea, but it is out in the fucking sticks.
    Isn't that the point of camping?
  • Holy hell, this is literally an hour away from where I live.
  • It's an hour and forty minutes from where I live. I can drive back and forth no problems...just have to see what's going to be set up.
  • It's an hour and forty minutes from where I live. I can drive back and forth no problems...just have to see what's going to be set up.
    Aw, that's cheating. What's the fun, if you're not setting up a tent with lights, power supply, in-line stereo, pirate radio station, wifi, and beer fridge?

/Can't half tell I like camping in my van, can you?
    Aw, that's cheating. What's the fun, if you're not setting up a tent with lights, power supply, in-line stereo, pirate radio station, wifi, and beer fridge?

/Can't half tell I like camping in my van, can you?
    Going off on that point do you guys want to collaborate on things to bring to make a FRC campsite at the event? Also my lack of BBQ (been years since I had access to one) makes me want to try to test those skills out to make sure I don't suck at cooking over an open flame.
  • Also my lack of BBQ (been years since I had access to one) makes me want to try to test those skills out to make sure I don't suck at cooking over an open flame.
  • Grilling is overrated. :P I'd rather bring electric stove tops and my trusty cast iron pan.
  • edited April 2011
    Grilling is overrated. :P I'd rather bring electric stove tops and my trusty cast iron pan.
    Good luck finding electricity for an eletric stove top. The cast iron pan will be useful though, especially for pan cakes.

Fear not, I can grill.

EDIT: and what I meant by in the sticks is that it's way far from everything. Like 2 hours from DC.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I will put my cast iron pan ON the grill, and make awesome shit that way. I'm proud to be able to make Chorizo sausage, but I couldn't make it on a grill.

I'm in the middle of Virginia, so if I'm going to anywhere useful, it still takes a drive. My biggest concern with "camping" depends on how muccch stuff is available for me and how bad the weather is. A 100 minute drive to a free, comfortable bed is pretty nice option
  • edited April 2011
    If anyone does a road trip from DC, I'd go. I miss camping! I wonder if we still have a tent.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I will put my cast iron pan ON the grill, and make awesome shit that way. I'm proud to be able to make Chorizo sausage, but I couldn't make it on a grill.
    That's what I was implying. Hydrocarbon based fuels are best for camping. While there may be electricity, one electric burner can draw enough electricity to max out a 15A circuit. Running an electric burner over an extension cord is just a bad plan.
  • If anyone does a road trip from DC, I'd go. I miss camping! I wonder if we still have a tent.
    I am not in DC myself, but thinking if there is room take you up on the offer and Bolt Bus to D.C. and then tag along for the road trip.
  • Then I will stick to improvisation in terms of cooking. I will say though, a lack of electricity concerns me to with charging my phone or laptop. Phone is easy, but I'd still really like having it, especially since the Facebook post already has notes about having internet. In general, I don't like camping, but I'd sacrifice my complaints for the awesomeness of games, music, and (hopefully), FRC.
  • If you really can't do without your phone you can get a hand-crank charger.
  • I am not in DC myself, but thinking if there is room take you up on the offer and Bolt Bus to D.C. and then tag along for the road trip.
    It really behooves you to drive. We are going far from the land of public transit.
  • Shit, didn't mean to say phone. Ironically enough, I'm typing on the forum on my phone. I'd be much more concerned with my laptop charging and if I could use it consistently.
  • edited April 2011
    I am not in DC myself, but thinking if there is room take you up on the offer and Bolt Bus to D.C. and then tag along for the road trip.
    It really behooves you to drive. We are going far from the land of public transit.
    I know that, however if I can convoy with a DC person they take care of the traveling to the boondocks where I would take care of getting to their neck of the woods, besides carpooling is fun anyway.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Coleman Red Canyon 17-Foot by 10-Foot 8-Person Modified Dome Tent
    #1 Tent on Amazon. I'm probably going to go all in on this shit.
  • Anyone thinking of a FRC tent for the forum peeps?
  • Maybe a FRC Road-Camping Trip could work. I think for now though, we'll have to wait for more updates of what they'll actually have.
  • Sigh. I wish I could drive.
  • Well an update it is still going to happen and they have a payal address to send your money to

Magstock dot campfest at gmail dot com.

As for bands and the festivities not much on that front yet, are we going or skipping?
  • I'm skipping. I love those guys, but I want to see how this goes before I commit to it. If it's awesome, I'll go next year for sure.