This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Looking for a PC gaming headset/mic

2»

Comments

• edited October 2013
    RIG not living up to the experience I had at PAX.

Problem one is noise. Hissing white noise all the time. Most commonly you think this is interference from outside, and not the headset's fault. The thing is, I have tried it on multiple computers in multiple places and it's always the same. Other analog and digital headphones on the same computers do not have issue. Almost certainly the RIG is interfering with itself. So far I think it only happens when the USB has power. Yep, I just tested it by connecting USB only to XBox and there is the hissing.

Second problem is hearing myself talk. You should pretty much never hear yourself talk unless you specifically turn it on for testing purposes. I double checked that "listen to this device" is off in Windows. I tested with my old headset. I definitely works as expected. With the RIG I hear myself talk if the microphone isn't muted on the RIG itself. No way around it. If I mute the mic, then the computer can't hear me talk either. That's just fucking broken.

Sent in a support ticket. Will see if just mine is defective or if I'll just return this thing.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I recently got a pair of the Skullcandy Plyr1s. I used to be really into Skullcandy especially since I've always had connections in the company so I've always received pretty steep discounts. The problem is almost all of their hardware has some sort of design flaw. I've had two pairs of Skullcrushers that have both shorted out in some way, a set of Hashes that snapped on the ear cup, and a pair of (I forget the name) that were the most worthless set of headphones I've ever worn. There was 0 resistance on the headband so it would just slide off your head with no effort. Sure they have their lifetime warranty but it's a pain to deal with if you're replacing them so often.

Anyway they've recently purchased Astro, which I had noticed at PAX when they had their booth. As far as I know Astro still develops their own Astro branded headsets but they collaborated with some Skullcandy designers to make the Plyrs. The Plyr2 set looks like trash but the Plyr1's have actually received some decent reviews from PC Gamer and others. Got a pair for roughly half off and I'm actually really liking them. The volume control is a little strange but works better than you'd expect. There's also a balance between game and voice, but it doesn't really seem to do much. Maybe it only really works on Xbox or something.

Occasionally it seems like I also hear a bit of white noise but it's not consistent and is only audible when there is nothing playing in the headphones.
  • When I get my rig, I will confirm if the static issue is a bug in Scott's or a design flaw.
  • Besides being poor, I'm a bit apprehensive about spending too much on headphones since I have a tendency to fuck up the cords. Though I did get a soldering iron recently so I may actually be able to repair them now.
    It can be done, but prepare to have your patience tested with that incredibly thing multi-strand wire. Even stripping it can be a supreme bitch, and I recommend using a small torch to just burn it off. For this, and the soldering itself, you'll want some helping hands-type device for your soldering station. When it comes to prepping the thin multi-strand wire for the actual soldering, prepare again for your patience to be tested in order to get it just right.

• edited October 2014
    My Plantronics RIG still works pretty great. The problem is that one of the earcups went "poof."

I got it last September after PAX, so it's out of warranty. They won't replace it for me, but they'll sell me a refurbished one for $66. It still works perfectly, so I'll probably suffer with it for awhile. But if anyone wants a perfectly working one for cheap that is only slightly uncomfortable in one ear, let me know.

And now I'm in the market for a replacement. But since I've still got this one I'm going to take my time and find something truly perfect.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

And now I'm in the market for a replacement. But since I've still got this one I'm going to take my time and find something truly perfect.

Did you end up finding a satisfactory upgrade? I have actually been doing more gaming lately, but as little ones are sleeping nearby I have had to rely on headphones. I have a very cheap Logitech headset but it hurts to wear from both hard plastic headband and headphones that rest on the ear.

I prefer cans that completely cover the ear with a soft headband. Not just for comfort, but to keep the sound quiet for anybody else nearby. Anything that rests on the ear would have to be very light and therefore not going to prevent noise from escaping. Also I generally prefer with USB since I do often want independent sound playing on PC speakers and headset. Wireless would also be OK, but not really a big deal.

Some quick searches found a couple possible candidates. The Logitech G930 wireless headset, and the Kingston HyperX Cloud II. both are USB, over the ear, and have surround as a bonus. Not cheap but not as expensive as gamer sets that really don't seem to offer any real benefit.
  • I'm still using the RIG. It still works just fine even though the cushion went poof.

At work I was actually using this thing

http://www.amazon.com/August-Bluetooth-Wireless-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B00F54Y6GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439409700&sr=8-1&keywords=august+bluetooth

It's ridiculously comfortable, and the bluetooth worked great. The problem is that a few months ago the plastic band snapped, and now it doesn't grip my head, so I stopped using it.

At PAX I may go around testing out various models again.
  • I would go for a headset such as Sennheiser GAME ONE or if you want no sound to escape you can get the GAME Zero. I tried both out at PAX last and they sounded pretty good.

The Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 is a re-branded Chinese headset that is emulating the Beyerdynamic MMX 300, it's all pleather and the head band is pretty thing, it will feel fine in the short term but break down pretty quickly.

Logitech G930 is quite overpriced for what you get.

My rule of thumb is to buy audio equipment from an audio company, not a peripheral manufacturer as they will always be just average and not be interested in giving you after market help.

Alternatively you could just grab your most preferred headphones, add an Antlion Modmic 4.0 and turn it into a headset plus get a USB sound card which will turn the analog headphone and microphone cables into a USB connector which can also simulate 7.1.
  • That USB sound card idea is not bad.