This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Chivalry

edited April 2011 in Everything Else
R.I.P.

Comments

• Feminism killed it.
  • Feminism killed it.
    Damn right, egality is better anyway.
  • Fuck yeah, RIP chivalry.
  • Feminism killed it.
    Screw off. I believe in both.
  • Feminism killed it.
    Screw off. I believe in both.
    For reals. I can be polite to ladies and still believe in equal wages, asshole.
  • For reals. I can be polite to ladies and still believe in equal wages, asshole.
    He never said anything about not being polite to ladies, or denying equal wages, but if are a feminist, you must be just as polite to men as you are to women, and vice versa, or else you have abandoned the principles of feminism.
  • When exactly did chivalry get defined as gender-specific? A man can be chivalrous without directing his behavior at a lady. Courtly love is one aspect that tends to be associated with chivalry, but it is far from the only one.

Get out there and be chivalrous, boys and girls. :)
  • edited April 2011
    For reals. I can be polite to ladies and still believe in equal wages, asshole.
    He never said anything about not being polite to ladies, or denying equal wages, but if are a feminist, you must be just as polite to men as you are to women, and vice versa, or else you have abandoned the principles of feminism.

Then I guess I'm not a feminist. I mean, hell, if a girls like it when I hold doors or pull out chairs for them when we're together, or offer them my coat, obviously I am not in favor of any sort of gender equality. What a shame. And here I thought just being a nice guy while supporting equal rights was grounds enough to say I was a feminist. Oh well. Best get the women in my life to make me some babies and sandwiches, because there goes my whole ideology.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Screw off. I believe in both.
    Me doth think you presume too much. I am a gentleman and will always be a gentleman. On a micro-level (me) I still lead a good and, one could call it, chivalrous life. On the macro level, women clamoring for equality has effectively eliminated it. It's 1 AM and I got 3 hours sleep last night but that's my quick defense of myself.
  • If you are a feminist, then you must be equally willing to have sex with women as you are with men, or else you have abandoned the principles of feminism.
  • Mr. Trogdor42 gets the reference I was making. Still, I seem to have stirred a hornets nest. Further posts once rested... *stumbles away to pass out*
  • If you are a feminist, then you must be equally willing to have sex with women as you are with men, or else you have abandoned the principles of feminism.
    If you are a feminist, you must have both male and female genitalia, or else you have abandoned the principles of feminism.
  • I am so sick and tired of this BULL SHIT. Fuck This Shit.

I will hold doors open for dudes behind me but I will go ahead and open doors for women ahead of me. I will inconvenience myself to be extra courteous to women. I will let women board the elevator first. I will help a lady in need before a man in equal need. If both a man and a women need to borrow a pencil in class, I will give the lady the pencil.

Women and men both should have equal rights but, so long as they haven't slighted me, I will treat women with extra courteousness than I treat a man. I don't care if you say that's sexist or whatever, that's what I believe to be part of a gentleman's duties and I am proud to fulfill it.
  • edited April 2011
    No shit. Except for offering jackets and pulling out chairs. I only do that for elders and ladies, but that's just because those acts carry certain connotations.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited April 2011
    I am so sick and tired of this BULL SHIT. Fuck This Shit.

I will hold doors open for dudes behind me but I will go ahead and open doors for women ahead of me. I will inconvenience myself to be extra courteous to women. I will let women board the elevator first. I will help a lady in need before a man in equal need. If both a man and a women need to borrow a pencil in class, I will give the lady the pencil.

Women and men both should have equal rights but, so long as they haven't slighted me, I will treat women with extra courteousness than I treat a man. I don't care if you say that's sexist or whatever, that's what I believe to be part of a gentleman's duties and I am proud to fulfill it.
    That's all fine and good, but that's not chivalry you're demonstrating, that's courtesy.
    Wikipedia Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Duties to countrymen and friends: this contains virtues such as mercy, courage, valor, fairness, protection of the weak and the poor...This also brings with it the idea of being willing to give one’s life for another’s; whether he would be giving his life for a poor man or his friend's.
    I'm down with this.
    Duties to God: this would contain being faithful to God, protecting the innocent, being faithful to the church, being the champion of good against evil, being generous and obeying God above the feudal lord.
    Well, some big edits were needed, but the best stuff was kept and I'm cool by that.
    Duties to women: this is probably the most familiar aspect of chivalry. This would contain what is often called courtly love, the idea that the knight is to serve a lady, and after her all other ladies. Most especially in this category is a general gentleness and graciousness to all women.
    Already got this covered.

So, Grey, looks like I'm chivalrous after all.
  • So, Grey, looks like I'm chivalrous after all.
    Sure, if you change the definition of chivalry.
  • edited April 2011
    So, Grey, looks like I'm chivalrous after all.
    Sure, if you change the definition of chivalry.
    You know this is The Internet you're posting on, right?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'm in the camp that says "courtly love was probably a nice idea that people aspired to uphold, but in reality probably didn't uphold nearly as much as written."

But courtesy to women is cool.

As long as they know when they need to be making sammiches. The occasional reminder can be helpful here.
  • Wasn't Chivalry that imaginary thing that knights followed when they were raping and pillaging?
  • Wasn't Chivalry that imaginary thing that knights followed when they were raping and pillaging?
    It was very polite rape.
  • It's 1 AM and I got 3 hours sleep last night but that's my quick defense of myself.
    Then no wonder it was so damn lame.
  • Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world. Yo.

And technically women can't be chivalrous... Chivalry was a code for knights and knights are male only.
    It was very polite rape.
    Courtly love chivalry, in which a knight's chief duty is to his own lady, and after her, all ladies. Bow Chicka Bow Wow.
  • Starting flamewars is so fun. I should do this more often.
  • And technically women can't be chivalrous... Chivalry was a code for knights and knights are male only.
    Because in our silly modern world, we've never redefined any social constructs or principles. It just can't be done. Confound the stagnant nature of life.
    Starting flamewars is so fun. I should do this more often.
    Yes, we're all very proud.
  • Yes, we're all very proud.
    Do I detect some image?
  • Chivalry was a code for knights and knights are male only.
    Not in the SCA. :P
  • Sorry, I don't think I'm gamenerd enough to get that reference. But if you're implying that I am a 4-legged snail, then no... I don't know what you're talking about.