This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ring Finger Correlations

RymRym
edited April 2011 in Science
There's a study claiming that men with elongated ring fingers (compared to their index fingers) are more attractive to women and substantially less prone to disease.

My ring finger's 13mm lead on my index finger has a message for all of you.
Rym's ring finger's 13mm lead on his index fingerSuck it.

Comments

• Curious... My left ring finger looks to be slightly longer than my left index finger but my right index finger is noticeably longer than my ring ring finger.
  • edited April 2011
    substantially less prone to disease.
    Well, actually, no. That's not what the article says:
    Research published in December showed that the chances of developing the disease drop by a third in men whose index finger is longer than their ring finger.
    So those of us with the longer ring fingers have more testosterone, and are also more prone to prostate cancer than those with a longer index finger.

EDIT: 6.5 mm lead on both ring fingers. Rym is sexier than me.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I can't believe people spent time actually researching this. Don't scientists have cancers to cure?
  • Research published in December showed that the chances of developing the disease drop by a third in men whose index finger is longer than their ring finger.
    So those of us with the longer ring fingers have more testosterone, and are also more prone to prostate cancer than those with a longer index finger.
    OH SNAP.
  • Is that why I have problems with the ladies...do they do finger extensions? :P
  • So those of us with the longer ring fingers have more testosterone, and are also more prone to prostate cancer than those with a longer index finger.
    More testosterone means more iron. Prostate cancer's overrated anyway. ;^)
  • Prostate cancer's overrated anyway. ;^)
    Surgeries are quite precise these days. Very little chance of nicking the wrong thing and ruining your sex life forever.
  • Surgeries are quite precise these days. Very little chance of nicking the wrong thing and ruining your sex life forever.
    I recall reading that many times treatment of any sort for prostate cancer is contraindicated, as old age will set in and kill you long before the cancer would cause any harm.
  • long before the cancer would cause any harm.
    It causes physical problems and possible erectile dysfunction long before it kills you, though. A growing mass exerts pressure on everything around it. Impacts urinary tract health as well.
    Surgeries are quite precise these days. Very little chance of nicking the wrong thing and ruining your sex life forever.
    Someone is going to read this the wrong way and go get their ring finger surgically extended.
    Someone is going to read this the wrong way and go get their ring finger surgically extended.
    ...You mean that's not what this study is telling me to do?
  • I haven't got a measuring tape around, but my ring finger is very noticeably longer than my index. The first correlation Rym mentioned holds true in my case.
  • long before the cancer would cause any harm.
    It causes physical problems and possible erectile dysfunction long before it kills you, though. A growing mass exerts pressure on everything around it. Impacts urinary tract health as well.
    So in other words, it's more or a less a "keep an eye on it until either the cancer itself starts killing you or it gets big enough to do unrelated damage," right?
  • So in other words, it's more or a less a "keep an eye on it until either the cancer itself starts killing you or it gets big enough to do unrelated damage," right?
    Well, generally, it's best to be proactive about any cancer. If it's caught early enough and when you're young, they'll encourage you to do something about it.

But if you're 70 and get prostate cancer, the surgery probably isn't worth the risk.
  • edited April 2011
    But if you're 70 and get prostate cancer, the surgery probably isn't worth the risk.
    My grandfather got it the moment his PDQ spiked, even before a tumor was found; he's an OB-GYN himself, and still opted for the surgery. He's no worse for wear, at all.

Nowadays, it can all be done with almost zero risk using caths and interventional radiology. I'm pretty sure my dad has done some laparoscopically. Regardless, I personally don't know a single doctor who would recommend against prostatectomy at any age in a healthy individual. It's almost outpatient, these days. It's the second leading cause of cancer death in US men (beat out by lung cancer, I believe), and it has a pretty wicked rate of metastasis, all things considered.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I thought I read that this was related to testosterone exposure in utero, not your current level despite the subsequent correlation. When I read it, it was also related to some evo-psych hogwash about homosexuality in women being more prevalent among those women who had a longer ring finger. A so-called "gay test" if you will.
  • I did read a study that said it was a sign of testosterone exposure during development. That's all.
  • How did we get from talking about ring fingers to prostates?
  • How did we get from talking about ring fingers to prostates?
    It was in the article. There's a correlation between having an index finger longer than your ring finger and a reduced rate of prostate cancer.
  • Not sure if my freakish spider hands count but I've made an odd observation:
    My index and ring finger are almost the same length but my ring finger's middle knuckle is about 4mm down from the same knuckle on my index.
    Oh, if I shift them to be roughly in line, my ring finger is now about 8mm longer than my ring finger.

Bust out the ruler! Base knuckle to tip: LRing 11.2cm | LIndex: 10.1cm | RRing 10.9cm | RIndex: 10.2
  • Article Just a quick share, it looks like the study is spreading.