This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Special Guest Emily

Does anyone else think that this Emily lady did an excilent job. I think she should be on more episodes of the pod cast. Where does she fit into the Front Row Crew?

Comments

• She's Rym's girlfriend. There is at least one other episode with her, I think it was the shaving episode. She couldn't get a word in edgewise in that episode.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2006
    Emily is indeed my girlfriend, in addition to being a film and animation major (also East Asian studies) at NYU and (in my opinion) an expert on Japanese language and culture. ^_^

We plan to have many more guests on the show as we upgrade our equipment (and skills). It's harder to have a guest on than you would think.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • What's her accent?
  • What's her accent?
    Adorable. That's what it is. She need to be on the show more often.
  • She did a very good job on the show. I would love to hear more of her, she sounds so cute :)
  • What's her accent?
    Adorable. That's what it is. She need to be on the show more often.
    I'll second that. She adds a new beat to the old, tired humdrum of the classic duo. ;-)

Ok, so, funny story (kinda), Emily scared the shit out of me this morning. I was up late last night watching Delicatessen and before bed I listened to a bit of the episode. This morning I rolled out of bed and stumbled to class. On the way I booted up the ole MuVo and resumed listening. Scrym were going on as usual and then Emily aggressively chimed in. I, not being used to hearing a third voice on the show--in (reasonably) high fidelity--and not remembering her being a guest, jumped a foot in the air thinking some girl behind me was yelling at me. I my delirious sleep deprived state it definitely caught me by surprise. . . . I imagine, to all those around me, I looked pretty funny jumping sporadically and then laughing hysterically to myself.
  • Yeah she did a real good job, she should definitly be in the show more.
  • Hey, what happened to the things of the day in Wednesday's show?
  • D'oh. I must have forgotten to put them in... ^_^* They'll come out as a special this weekend to make up for it.
  • D'oh. I must have forgotten to put them in... ^_^* They'll come out as a special this weekend to make up for it.
    I can't believe...
  • That's the only reason the episode came in under time =P
  • Emily made an already great show better.
  • Emily is indeed my girlfriend
    *school yard voice* Ryms got a girlfriend *kissing noises*
  • Emily is indeed my girlfriend
    *school yard voice* Ryms got a girlfriend *kissing noises*
    Rym and Emily sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G...
  • Emily made an already great show better.
    She added a very interesting perspective as well.
  • It was cool to hear a voice from someone who had lived in Japan. I've been here 6 years now, and home is getting farther and farther away from being America. Great points on anime.. I never thought about the whole generation thing. I remember feeling sorry for the kids lovin' on Dragonball Z and worshipping these never ending fighting anime.

Definately enjoy the 3 person format.. but I've only just started listening so it's all new to me.
  • My God! Put a woman on the show and listen to the geeks circle! :-) Makes me glad that I'm happily married.
  • My God! Put a woman on the show and listen to the geeks circle! :-) Makes me glad that I'm happily married.
    Haha.. yea, I've seen other podcasts add the woman to the show (Micheal and Evo's Slice of Sci-fi and .... can't think of another off hand ) but watched the woman become the most popular member of the crew overnight! haha.
  • I was pretty amazed she could keep up with you guys! But then maybe she's used to the pace if she's Rym's girlfriend... ;)
    I did find what she had to say quite interesting, I'd love to hear her again. ^^
  • We've had her on the show a few times in the past, while we were still learning how to handle a guest. We're planning on having her return in the near future for two shows: one on her experiences in Japan, and one on the big movies she caught over there ahead of all of us in America.
  • Holy Cats, you leave the forum alone for a while and suddenly you've become the topic of conversation! Sort of comforting though, because honestly talking alongside Rym and Scott can be the conversational equivalent of long distance sprinting...you have to really push yourself if you don't want to be left in the dust going "Hwa? what are we talking about now?"

I have an accent? なまってるの?本当?
  • Actually, you sorta do; I've never been able to place it.
  • Maybe it's the Canadian Yooper thing going on (for all you trolls that live under the Mackinac bridge, the UP is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan). My Grandmother is Swedish/Norwegian which is the major population of that area, and my folks lived in the frozen wastes of northern Michigan while my dad finished up his Electrical Engineering degree at Michigan Institute of Technology. I myself have always been more of a city person, but this would explain why I say my o's funny.
  • edited September 2006
    Holy Cats, you leave the forum alone for a while and suddenly you've become the topic of conversation! Sort of comforting though, because honestly talking alongside Rym and Scott can be the conversational equivalent of long distance sprinting...you have to really push yourself if you don't want to be left in the dust going "Hwa? what are we talking about now?"

I have an accent? なまってるの?本当?

In all seriousness, I can't seem to place the accent either.

/Google Translator hates your Japanese.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • For those who are interested, the shaving episode has Emily too.

/Double post
    //Shut up.
  • Maybe it's the Canadian Yooper thing going on (for all you trolls that live under the Mackinac bridge, the UP is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan). My Grandmother is Swedish/Norwegian which is the major population of that area, and my folks lived in the frozen wastes of northern Michigan while my dad finished up his Electrical Engineering degree at Michigan Institute of Technology. I myself have always been more of a city person, but this would explain why I say my o's funny.
    That'd be it. It had sounded slightly familiar before, now I realize it's my summers in Minnesota where I remember those Os from.
  • Emily's speech pattern is mostly an Emily thing. It is part of her. I noticed it when I first met her, and I have come to the conclusion that it is a mixture of: the Yooper influance from one side of her family; her extensive use of the Japanese language (whose tones she has adapted into her speech); the excitement she puts into her speech which yields greater peaks an valleys; and a dash of hyper speed when she is really into a topic.

I don't think I have ever encountered anyone else that speaks like Emily!
  • I have, but I have not seen that crazy woman since I was 17.
  • Not to belittle Emily in any way shape or form (I liked her appearance on the podcast) I have to wonder if some of the gushing is from the typical "geeks fawn over women" stereotype.
  • Well, we had a similar level of gushing over Pete Olsen when he appeared to talk about pseudoscience with us.