This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fellow artist, I need help.

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
About one year after drawing this picture:
n_w_e_distortion__by_cielmort.jpg
I find myself wanting to draw this character, but I can't find any design that will fit it's "original" and have ran out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

(This drawing is called "Distortion" by the way.)

Edit: There is no subliminal messages on the back, it's just that I sucked at photo shop.

Comments

• I don't quite understand...
    You drew this one right? Can't you just draw the same character again? Or is it that you never did a proper design?
    What is it that you want to capture about this character?
  • I did not do a proper design for this one; it just came out of a random doodle.

I want to portrait some kind of mysteriousness.
  • I don't quite understand what you are asking for.
  • I been trying to sketch this character but no matter how hard I try I still can't keep the feel that the original had.

my deviant art*.

(* even thought I'm been trying to change my drawing style into something more takaya miou-ish.)
  • edited September 2006
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

God I can't begin to express how much I hate this drawing: the hair suck goatse ass and the shirt looks too cartoonish, yet it's the closest I've gotten to what I want.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Okay want to hear my analysis of the original?
    I think the "mysteriousness" you want isn't produced so much by the character design as it is by the effects you used in the original The sharp contrasts used, the face half in shadow and the noise you added on top of it all makes it a bit dream-like.
    You could try experimenting with the shading again if you want to go for a similar effect. :)
  • Thanks, let me try that.

Anyone knows how to tell photo shop not make to your lines thick? (as in that piece of shit doodle above fuurin's post.)
  • Shading is good...Un.
    Do you want to hear a dirty little animator trick? It may sound like cheating but it isn't.

If you come up with a design you like in a sketch, Trace the outline of the original, then use a pencil (or PS) to play around with the facial and hair details until you have something that you are satified with. Use that finalized design to make a model sheet and then you should be able to refer to it for easy reference whenever you draw the same character.
    As for making the lines thick you should be able to adjust that easily with the brush size slider in the menu bar. Also adjusting tablet sensitivity may help. If you like to draw with that size brush change the resolution so you have more pixels to use in your drawing space.

And stop saying "shit." That always helps art look better too.
  • Well, I call this piece shit because it is downright bad.

Thanks! This proves my stupidity using photo shop.
  • I too am a sensitive artist. I'd like to share my latest work. I call it Adventures in Despair. Please be kind, I don't take criticism well.
  • How do you get that weathered-looking background digital posters often have? E.g. this:

Is it a photoshop filter or something? I don't even know the magic words to google.
  • Textures, it's a layer with old paper/grunge textures on it, set to multiply and put at very low opacity.
  • Textures, it's a layer with old paper/grunge textures on it, set to multiply and put at very low opacity.
    I am really, really, really glad I finally learned this. Thanks!
  • edited May 2012
    Yes, basically just photo texture layers. What Mr. Mort said.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Butts, butts, and butts.
  • Multiply should do you fine, but you should also play around with layer styles and blend-if to get the perfect mixture.
  • Yes, basically just photo texture layers. What Mr. Mort said.
    Teehee, it feels silly being called Mr. Mort. =w=

Do any of you guys have watercolor experience? I'm starting out and it's deceptively hard to master. Easy to learn, but hard to master.