This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Indie Rock Recommendations

edited May 2011 in Everything Else
I've just recently been getting into music that was made after 2000, and I really want to find where all the good indie rock is at. If you want to know my rock tastes, turn on your local classic radio station (especially Pink Floyd) and add Broken Social Scene, Tegen and Sara, Joel Plaskett Emergency, and The Barenaked Ladies. I've bought the following indie rock albums recently:

Broken Social Scene: Forgiveness Rock Record, Broken Social Scene, You Forgot it in People
Tegen and Sara: The Con
Joel Plaskett Emergency: Ashtray Rock, Down at the Khyber, Truthfully Truthfully
The Barenaked Ladies: Greatest Hits Vol. 1

Comments

• You'll like Grizzly Bear.

• edited May 2011
    Modest Mouse is an absolute must. In terms of albums, start with The Moon & Antarctica, The Lonesome Crowded West, and/or Good News for People Who Love Bad News.

Post edited by Sail on
  • You'll like Grizzly Bear.
    What's their best album?
  • edited May 2011
    You'll like Grizzly Bear.
    What's their best album?
    You're gonna want Veckatimest or Yellow House. Probably Veckatimest first.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • You'll probably really like The Hold Steady too if you like classic rock. The best album is Boys And Girls In America.

• Get some Decemberists up in there. I'm recommend starting with Her Majesty or Castaways and Cutouts.

If you like BSS, Fleet Foxes is a logical next step. Start with the self-titled album, and then the EP, and then Helplessness Blues.
  • edited May 2011
    Arcade Fire too. Pretty much the biggest name in "indie" rock these days. Start with Funeral, then go on to Neon Bible and The Suburbs.

Sorry, maybe loading you up a little too much here. But I definitely say that if you at least listen to one song by every band that has been mentioned in this thread so far, you'll have a pretty good grounding for what exists in indie rock these days.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited May 2011
    Arcade Fire too. Pretty much the biggest name in "indie" rock these days. Start with Funeral, then go on to Neon Bible and The Suburbs.
    Oops, I forgot. I love Arcade Fire as well.
    Sorry, maybe loading you up a little too much here. But I definitely say that if you at least listen to one song by every band that has been mentioned in this thread so far, you'll have a pretty good grounding for what exists in indie rock these days.
    No man, this is great. I knew I could count on you guys to deliver. I have a huge local music store down the street from my university and the huge amounts of music there made me quite frightened. Now I know what to look for.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • I have a huge local music store down the street from my university and the huge amounts of music there made me quite frightened. Now I know what to look for.
    If it's a quality store you can ask someone who works there and they should be able to help as well.
  • I have a huge local music store down the street from my university and the huge amounts of music there made me quite frightened. Now I know what to look for.
    If it's a quality store you can ask someone who works there and they should be able to help as well.
    Yeah, but I trust you guys more than those guys. I'll ask them though.
  • edited May 2011
    Eyedea & Abilities' last album ventured into rock.

Post edited by Walker on