This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

EU proposes firewall to block any "illicit" traffic, under pressure from music, movie industry

edited May 2011 in Everything Else
Well, we're pretty much fucked.

Thoughts? I think the backlash will be unimaginable if they actually try it, but I'm alarmed that it's even an option in the first place.

Maybe Norway isn't the best idea anymore, Pete.

Comments

• Norway isn't in the EU.
  • Norway isn't in the EU.
    I thought they were a party to the Maastricht Treaty?

Ah well, still fucks with the rest of the continent.
  • Maybe Norway isn't the best idea anymore, Pete.
    Norway isn't technically part of the EU, so I'm not sure if they'd have to abide by these regulations or not.

Still, scary shit.
  • British ISPs are already responding with "No, you're idiots, fuck yourselves." So that's good, I suppose.
  • Welcome to the weekend. Now you know why it was the worst weekend in the last decade.
  • Welcome to the weekend. Now you know why it was the worst weekend in the last decade.
    What sort of coverage is this getting over there?
  • What sort of coverage is this getting over there?
    I'm not sure. I can't make out what the newscaster is saying through the froth coming out of his mouth.
  • Well, that tips the scales doesn't it? Oh wow, let's move to Europe and get 30 vacation days minimum! Oh wait, no freedom. FAIL.
  • I'm not sure it's possible for this to happen. The French government alone was almost castrated by the EU Parliament over the Three Strikes Bill a while back.
  • Oh wait, no freedom.
    More than in the US still.
  • edited May 2011
    Oh wait, no freedom.
    More than in the US still.
    I agree. Also, even in the rare event that they do make this happen (and, given the internet freedom stalwarts in the EU proper like Sweden, the Netherlands, Spain, Estonia, and others, it isn't likely) the combined force of every internet activist in the EU digitally fighting this isn't going to be something that they can handle. The only reason China can do it is because they can disappear people who publically and repeatedly break the Great Firewall, and its not as if the Firewall is impervious. Far, FAR from it.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • its not as if the Firewall is impervious.
    I still think that calling it a wall is silly. It's a sieve at best, in theory and in practice.
  • I'm more annoyed that they are holding closed meetings. What the fuck, European media?
  • What the fuck, European media?
    Is the US media companies doing that shit. They've been doing that kinda shit for years now, behind closed doors. In a perfect imitation of their rolemodel, the government of the USA, that's forcing other countries to do illegal shit, behind closed doors.
  • What the fuck, European media?
    Is the US media companies doing that shit. They've been doing that kinda shit for years now, behind closed doors. In a perfect imitation of their rolemodel, the government of the USA, that's forcing other countries to do illegal shit, behind closed doors.
    Clearly you're not aware of the Sunshine Laws. As a member of the media, I can assure you they are put to good use every day. I've personally held government officials to the letter of the law, and have used the attorney general's office to ensure that meetings are open and public.
  • Clearly you're not aware of the Sunshine Laws. As a member of the media, I can assure you they are put to good use every day. I've personally held government officials to the letter of the law, and have used the attorney general's office to ensure that meetings are open and public.
    In that case, get your MAFIAA to stop pushing the ACTA and its brothers in silence onto other nations.
  • Clearly you're not aware of the Sunshine Laws. As a member of the media, I can assure you they are put to good use every day. I've personally held government officials to the letter of the law, and have used the attorney general's office to ensure that meetings are open and public.
    In that case, get your MAFIAA to stop pushing the ACTA and its brothers in silence onto other nations.
    ... You know the RIAA isn't the government, right?
  • edited May 2011
    I think what he's getting at is "Make sure everyone and their mother knows about ACTA."

I support this. Mainstream media doesn't truly care about freedom, or network news would run stories about ACTA. They're a dying breed, and they know it's in their best interest to let a those laws pass silently, even at the cost of greater freedoms for everyone else.

Too bad any attempt to enforce something like that will just be sidestepped by hacks. The internet develops too fast for anyone to reign rein it in.
  • I support this. Mainstream media doesn't truly care about freedom, or network news would run stories about ACTA. They're a dying breed, and they know it's in their best interest to let a those laws pass silently, even at the cost of greater freedoms for everyone else.
    This is such a bullshit sweeping generalization. I think I'm going to call you on it by making some similarly stupid generalizations about medicine:

Doctors don't really care about health, otherwise they wouldn't allow homeopathy in drug stores. Doctors know it's in their best interests to just fill out prescriptions for ADHD medicine for parents who want it, even if the diagnosis doesn't really point to ADHD. Doctors are just money-grubbing and care more about the bottom dollar.
  • I support this. Mainstream media doesn't truly care about freedom, or network news would run stories about ACTA. They're a dying breed, and they know it's in their best interest to let a those laws pass silently, even at the cost of greater freedoms for everyone else.
    This is such a bullshit sweeping generalization. I think I'm going to call you on it by making some similarly stupid generalizations about medicine:

Doctors don't really care about health, otherwise they wouldn't allow homeopathy in drug stores. Doctors know it's in their best interests to just fill out prescriptions for ADHD medicine for parents who want it, even if the diagnosis doesn't really point to ADHD. Doctors are just money-grubbing and care more about the bottom dollar.
    U mad, bro?

Anyway, yes, I spoke with haste because I have a massive fucking headache, I'm working on 10 hours of sleep over the past 48 hours, and I just took a three hour physics exam. However, never once have I seen ACTA covered on the nightly news on any station. Most people I speak with don't even know that ACTA exists. So there's the catalyst for said generalization.
  • edited May 2011
    U mad, bro?
    Not particularly. Just annoyed by intellectual laziness and character assassination. You can do better.

For one, I object to your definition of "the mainstream media" as nightly news broadcasts. What fraction of the important daily events and issues do you think are going to be wedged into a 30-minute (read: 21.5-minute) slot? Second, do you watch every news broadcast every night? How would you know if you missed a story? Third, an appeal to public ignorance isn't going to get you points. Also, the very fact that you know about ACTA illustrates that reputable news organizations are reporting on ACTA. Or did you think the WTO and UN allow bloggers to wander the halls? Where do you think the almighty Internet gets information on these types of international affairs? They get it from Reuters, AP, and the BBC.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited May 2011
    Fair play. I could argue about this, but have an exam at 8AM, so fuck it.
  • 10 hours of sleep over the past 48 hours
    10 hours in 2 days isn't that bad (before you factor in the physics test, I guess).
  • 10 hours of sleep over the past 48 hours
    10 hours in 2 days isn't that bad (before you factor in the physics test, I guess).
    I had sleep debt before that, too. It's translating into muscle fatigue, now.
  • If you think 10 hours in 2 days is bad, I've been up since Sunday.
  • If you think 10 hours in 2 days is bad, I've been up since Sunday.
    Jesus man. 72 hours is a delirium-inducing amount of sleep deprivation.

If you start seeing impossible things, take a nap.
  • ... You know the RIAA isn't the government, right?
    Oh really now? They had me completely fooled with the way they do things. The way they do business is indistinguishable from the way the US government does similar business.
    I think what he's getting at is "Make sure everyone and their mother knows about ACTA."
    Not really. Just that the MAFIAA should stop dicking about with laws and regulations and forcing them down the throats of governments. It's not the job of a government to ensure their business model is profitable. I agree that everyone should hear about ACTA some more. It equates piracy to counterfeited goods and medicine, that latter being potentially dangerous for a person.
    They get it from Reuters, AP, and the BBC.
    Except that the first time we heard about ACTA was through Wikileaks... and then they kept silent some more. Only after spending over a year (maybe even two) discussing it did a public draft come out. And even to this day the MAFIAA is still 'advising' the EU to not ask questions and just agree to whatever they put on the EU's desk.