This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mike Rowe Tells It Like It Is (or why college isn't the be-all and end-all)

So Mike Rowe testified before the US Senate.

For anyone who's too lazy to click the link, here's what he had to say. You can probably guess it, based on his TED talk and the nature of his show, but it's still great to read.
Chairman Rockefeller, Ranking Member Hutchison and members of this committee, my name is Mike Rowe, and I want to thank you all very much for the opportunity to testify before you today.

I'm here today because of my grandfather.

His name was Carl Knobel, and he made his living in Baltimore as a master electrician. He was also a plumber, a mechanic, a mason, and a carpenter. Everyone knew him as a jack-of-all-trades. I knew him as a magician.

For most of his life, my grandfather woke up clean and came home dirty. In between, he accomplished things that were nothing short of miraculous. Some days he might re-shingle a roof. Or rebuild a motor. Or maybe run electricity out to our barn. He helped build the church I went to as a kid, and the farmhouse my brothers and I grew up in. He could fix or build anything, but to my knowledge he never once read the directions. He just knew how stuff worked.

I remember one Saturday morning when I was 12. I flushed the toilet in the same way I always had. The toilet however, responded in a way that was completely out of character. There was a rumbling sound, followed by a distant gurgle. Then, everything that had gone down reappeared in a rather violent and spectacular fashion.

Naturally, my grandfather was called in to investigate, and within the hour I was invited to join he and my dad in the front yard with picks and shovels.

By lunch, the lawn was littered with fragments of old pipe and mounds of dirt. There was welding and pipe-fitting, blisters and laughter, and maybe some questionable language. By sunset we were completely filthy. But a new pipe was installed, the dirt was back in the hole, and our toilet was back on its best behavior. It was one of my favorite days ever.

Thirty years later in San Francisco when my toilet blew up again. This time, I didn't participate in the repair process. I just called my landlord, left a check on the kitchen counter, and went to work. When I got home, the mess was cleaned up and the problem was solved. As for the actual plumber who did the work, I never even met him.

It occurred to me that I had become disconnected from a lot of things that used to fascinate me. I no longer thought about where my food came from, or how my electricity worked, or who fixed my pipes, or who made my clothes. There was no reason to. I had become less interested in how things got made, and more interested in how things got bought.

At this point my grandfather was well into his 80s, and after a long visit with him one weekend, I decided to do a TV show in his honor. Today, Dirty Jobs is still on the air, and I am here before this committee, hoping to say something useful. So, here it is.

I believe we need a national PR Campaign for Skilled Labor. A big one. Something that addresses the widening skills gap head on, and reconnects the country with the most important part of our workforce.

Right now, American manufacturing is struggling to fill 200,000 vacant positions. There are 450,000 openings in trades, transportation and utilities. The skills gap is real, and it's getting wider. In Alabama, a third of all skilled tradesmen are over 55. They're retiring fast, and no one is there to replace them.

Alabama's not alone. A few months ago in Atlanta I ran into Tom Vilsack, our Secretary of Agriculture. Tom told me about a governor who was unable to move forward on the construction of a power plant. The reason was telling. It wasn't a lack of funds. It wasn't a lack of support. It was a lack of qualified welders.

In general, we're surprised that high unemployment can exist at the same time as a skilled labor shortage. We shouldn't be. We've pretty much guaranteed it.

In high schools, the vocational arts have all but vanished. We've elevated the importance of "higher education" to such a lofty perch that all other forms of knowledge are now labeled "alternative." Millions of parents and kids see apprenticeships and on-the-job-training opportunities as "vocational consolation prizes," best suited for those not cut out for a four-year degree. And still, we talk about millions of "shovel ready" jobs for a society that doesn't encourage people to pick up a shovel.

In a hundred different ways, we have slowly marginalized an entire category of critical professions, reshaping our expectations of a "good job" into something that no longer looks like work. A few years from now, an hour with a good plumber - if you can find one - is going to cost more than an hour with a good psychiatrist. At which point we'll all be in need of both.

I came here today because guys like my grandfather are no less important to civilized life than they were 50 years ago. Maybe they're in short supply because we don't acknowledge them they way we used to. We leave our check on the kitchen counter, and hope the work gets done. That needs to change.

My written testimony includes the details of several initiatives designed to close the skills gap, all of which I've had the privilege to participate in. Go Build Alabama, I Make America, and my own modest efforts through Dirty Jobs and mikeroweWORKS. I'm especially proud to announce "Discover Your Skills," a broad-based initiative from Discovery Communications that I believe can change perceptions in a meaningful way.

I encourage you to support these efforts, because closing the skills gap doesn't just benefit future tradesmen and the companies desperate to hire them. It benefits people like me, and anyone else who shares my addiction to paved roads, reliable bridges, heating, air conditioning, and indoor plumbing.
The skills gap is a reflection of what we value. To close the gap, we need to change the way the country feels about work.
This topic has really been on my mind considerably more as of late. It's probably partly due to my increasing involvement with the SCA - which is basically a bunch of people with crafty, hands-on hobbies - and partly due to my growing dissatisfaction with my current job. We're just doing less at work, and even though I'm getting paid more than I ever have before, my job satisfaction is on the decline because it doesn't feel like I do anything these days. I care a lot less than I used to, and I'm starting to approach the point where I show up because I get paid, not because I'm actively interested in what's going on.

So this stuff has been on my mind a lot. And as such, there are questions I've been asking myself - now, I ask the forum these questions:

Why is it that Americans have lost their respect for "shovel-ready" jobs? They're certainly not glamorous, but a lot of these jobs make a solid living.

As a society, are we willing to pay a real wage to the people who are responsible for maintaining our infrastructure? It still boggles my mind that we marginalize all of these people who perform functions that aren't just important, they're fucking necessary.

For the kids in college: Do you feel that you're getting value for your money? What are you getting for your undergraduate education? Are you even thinking about it in a "value for my money" fashion?

What will it look like when we reach the breaking point? When, as Mike postulates, "an hour with a good plumber - if you can find one - is going to cost more than an hour with a good psychiatrist," happens, what will we do to alleviate the problem?

Comments

• Underwater welding.
  • edited May 2011
    Underwater welding.
    If you want to freaking die, just go into regular welding and make some pretty decent cash.

edit: I did a search to find that stat on underwater welding and found a comment Rubin made in 2006

"apreche Dec 30, 2006

Underwater Welders have one of the most dangerous jobs short of military and law enforcement. At least they get paid a lot. If you are looking for high pay and danger, consider underwater welding."
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Underwater welding.
    Jeremy refuses to even think about pursuing this as he's finishing up his welding degree. They make so much bank.
  • edited May 2011
    I'll be pursuing brewing as my vocational thing, so I'm covered. As for a Real Job, we'll have to see how this one goes. Gonna take it as it comes. The other side of my argument is that it's really really hard to argue with a pretty good steady salary (that only increases), lots of vacation time, and a pretty robust health plan - as well as union benefits.

It's just less gratifying than it used to be.

I'm just really wondering what the hell happened. Are people just not as interested in working with their hands any more?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'm just really wondering what the hell happened. Are people just not as interested in working with their hands any more?
    Well, think about our culture, it says it likes laborers but you always see stories of the skilled laborer wanting better for their child, for the child to go to college. Our media relentlessly tells us that to move up in the world is to be college educated. REALITY shows us that the people who push the papers and manage end up succeeding more in careers. Also it's harder to get good benefits (especially if you are not in the Union).
  • No, people got told they are worthless if they don't go to college. Our current President means well education-wise, but he is not helping with that problem. People need to understand that they don't have to go to college to have a good career, and that vocational fields are just as valid of a life choice. It's somehow seen as "not as good" if you don't have a college degree, even if you chose your career.
  • edited May 2011
    No, people got told they are worthless if they don't go to college.
    This was the implicit message in my high school. They separated the students into "college prep" and "career prep," with career prep basically being the dumping ground for the stupid or poor kids. I don't think there was any easy way to take advanced classes while also participating in craft classes, either.

Instead of attending the high school, you could also opt to go to the nearby vocational-technical school. The facilities were good (I visited it a few times,) and I have no doubt that the students there came out well-taught and skilled. However, the high school kids regarded it as some kind of ghetto. (There is a lot of classism in my hometown - I suppose that's what happens when you establish a university in a rural town otherwise dominated by farms and a few manufacuring plants.)

Maybe encouraging people to seek training as skilled laborers and craftspeople will do something alleviate these quarter-life crisis problems where young college graduates can't find work. Instead of entering a glutted professional job market, people could capitalize on this growing skill gap. Looking back at my own time in university, I realize how woefully lacking in practical application and job preparation it was. I had only one class that dealt with using anthropology outside of graduate school, and only one more that gave any practical experience. Granted, my lack of success in a career is mainly a result of personal failings, but I did not come out feeling like I had many marketable or real skills, despite my academic decorations. There must be something truly satisfying about being able to make something with your hands, something real and tangible that immediately benefits people. That's something very appealing in light of the fact that I'll likely spend the rest of my life poking keys to make numbers go up in a corporation's bank account, or slinging coffee at a Starbucks.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I'm actually looking into a scholarship to become a luthier as I'm growing more and more tired with design. I think I was meant to do something with my hands.
  • edited May 2011
    Underwater welding.
    Commercial diving is one of my "all else has failed, but fuck it, I'm awesome" routes. I've met underwater welders at diver bars when I'm on vacation; they are seriously bad dudes. Imagine the pirates you traditionally think of inhabiting places like Port Royal and Tortuga, and now imagine them in the 21st century. Those guys are commercial divers. Smart dudes with muscles like the fucking Hulk, and huge sleeve tattoos in blue ink and naval scrolls. The only catch is that I'm okay with the risk of explosion in wet diving, but I don't like the idea of neuromuscular and cognitive damage that those guys take from what gasses off into the water they're welding in.

Other "last ditch" jobs I've considered. Note that when I say considered, I mean that I could drop out, move into one of these professions, and be almost as happy for the rest of my life. I'm only pursuing medicine because I really, really love it.
    --Flight attendant
    --International ESL teacher (through TESOL)
    --Professional chef
    --Waiter (MAD bank at a good restaurant)
    --Hazmat diver (Are you a bad enough to jump into liquid concrete? Oil? Sewage?)
    --Commercial fisherman (Have a friend who worked salmon boats in Alaska and made tons of money each summer)
    --Dishwasher (Read this book.)
    --Bike mechanic (read the above book, again)
    --Freelance journalist
    --Cabinetmaker/Woodworker
    --Distiller/Winemaker/Brewer
    --Luthier

I deeply respect vocational work, and I'll be working with my hands until the day I die. It just happens to be that working with my hands in the way I intend to (surgery) takes years of schooling. But then, you wouldn't let anyone but a master work on your body, and it takes years to become a master of any craft.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've always wanted to work with my hands. I'd love to build a computer, or learn about wiring or plumbing, or any number of cool stuff like that. I just have no idea where to start. I live in a world where sometimes I go on the computer, open up chrome, and just sit and stare at the address bar because there is so much to do and learn on the internet and I just get overwhelmed.

I personally love Dirty Jobs, and I kinda wish I could do something like that. Work on something that uses my wits and my hands to make the world a bit better for people who don't care about that stuff. Reading that testimony really makes me want to work at that. I mean, I still want to do webcomics, but my hands can also have other uses.
  • I think one of the factors that people are missing in this discussion is intellectual fulfillment. If I go and build something in my backyard, that is satisfying as all heck. But if I go to work as a carpenter, I'm not building for pleasure. I'm going to be doing lots of mindless and difficult menial labor without any room for creative expression. I'm just following orders and doing things by the book. I can't imagine that being nearly as satisfying. Of course, if you work for yourself you get a little bit more freedom, but still.

Building software there is still that difference between working for yourself or for someone else. The thing is, even when working for someone else, there is still plenty of intellectual satisfaction. I'm not just executing a process, I'm designing the process to be executed, and the computer does all the work.

I would love to have a job working with my hands, but most of them are not very creative. If I had a job say, as a brewer or building custom choppers, that would be the shit. Working as a mechanic for a car dealer or installing carpet, that doesn't work for me.
  • I think one of the factors that people are missing in this discussion is intellectual fulfillment. If I go and build something in my backyard, that is satisfying as all heck. But if I go to work as a carpenter, I'm not building for pleasure. I'm going to be doing lots of mindless and difficult menial labor without any room for creative expression. I'm just following orders and doing things by the book. I can't imagine that being nearly as satisfying. Of course, if you work for yourself you get a little bit more freedom, but still.
    My dad got a PhD in genetics and then decided to go build houses for a living. He is a general contractor, owns his own business, and designs everything he builds himself. He makes neat stuff like dart board caddies, cutting boards, and kitchen cabinets for smaller projects. I really don't think he lacks intellectual fulfillment from his job... he just needs a less stupid girlfriend.
  • My dad got a PhD in genetics and then decided to go build houses for a living. He is a general contractor, owns his own business, and designs everything he builds himself. He makes neat stuff like dart board caddies, cutting boards, and kitchen cabinets for smaller projects. I really don't think he lacks intellectual fulfillment from his job... he just needs a less stupid girlfriend.
    That's because he designs and builds everything himself. Imagine if instead of owning the business someone else owned it and he just worked for it. Every day just following your dad's instructions. Much less fulfilling.
  • My dad got a PhD in genetics and then decided to go build houses for a living. He is a general contractor, owns his own business, and designs everything he builds himself. He makes neat stuff like dart board caddies, cutting boards, and kitchen cabinets for smaller projects. I really don't think he lacks intellectual fulfillment from his job... he just needs a less stupid girlfriend.
    That's because he designs and builds everything himself. Imagine if instead of owning the business someone else owned it and he just worked for it. Every day just following your dad's instructions. Much less fulfilling.
    But you have to start somewhere.
  • That's because he designs and builds everything himself. Imagine if instead of owning the business someone else owned it and he just worked for it. Every day just following your dad's instructions. Much less fulfilling.
    My point was that you don't have to lack intellectual fulfillment in a job where you work with your hands. There are plenty of places where making/doing things manually is compatible with creativity.
  • That's because he designs and builds everything himself. Imagine if instead of owning the business someone else owned it and he just worked for it. Every day just following your dad's instructions. Much less fulfilling.
    True, but that also gives you the skill base you need to be able to do your own thing. Quite a few carpenters learn how to put their unique touch on the things they do, and there can certainly be intellectual satisfaction in tackling the challenge of putting something together very cleanly. There's something very appealing about neat lines and perfect cuts.
  • edited May 2011
    About the unique touch thing, I remember when my parents were building my childhood house. One of the workmen had been assigned to put the plaster/paint on the ceiling - not the most exciting thing in the world. But he went nuts with it, sponging on different designs and textures, even throwing in a little bit of gold glitter. Every single room in the house has a unique design on the ceiling, and it's gorgeous. While not every kind of job will give you this latitude, it shows there are certainly cases where you can leave your own creative mark.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • True, but that also gives you the skill base you need to be able to do your own thing. Quite a few carpenters learn how to put their unique touch on the things they do, and there can certainly be intellectual satisfaction in tackling the challenge of putting something together very cleanly. There's something very appealing about neat lines and perfect cuts.
    Indeed - and even with a plan laid out before you for how to build the house, you still have to figure out the best way to do it within that plan. Not Your thing, Scott, Probably not, but you're not a carpenter.
  • No, people got told they are worthless if they don't go to college.
    This was the implicit message in my high school. They separated the students into "college prep" and "career prep," with career prep basically being the dumping ground for the stupid or poor kids. I don't think there was any easy way to take advanced classes while also participating in craft classes, either.

Instead of attending the high school, you could also opt to go to the nearby vocational-technical school. The facilities were good (I visited it a few times,) and I have no doubt that the students there came out well-taught and skilled. However, the high school kids regarded it as some kind of ghetto. (There is a lot of classism in my hometown - I suppose that's what happens when you establish a university in a rural town otherwise dominated by farms and a few manufacuring plants.)
    QFT. My school system did away with home-ec, shop, and mechanics classes (and they kept all the goddamn equipment! I took history in a room full of power tools!). We had a vocational school in our district that had all of the poor/dumb kids, while the "college prep" school wasn't doing much outside of the fundamental R's and some arts classes. I would have loved to learn something practical while still in public schooling, but, alas that was frowned upon (although I did pick up some stuff at home).

Also, if you need to know who will fill in this gap: immigrants (and some first generation Americans who don't have to worry about the shame that comes from working with ones hands). As long as they get trained in the field and the work is in demand, they'll do it. In fact, the entire business model may change: suddenly one otherwise useless American business student decides to start a plumbing company where he hires a few laborers and just manages the books. Rather than the field being artisanal, it will become something automated and rigid, possibly even franchise-based. You won't call the reliable plumber who you've used for years, you call Plumb-Co., have some unknown rush in and do the job (for a barely-decent wage), and people will continue to whine about the good old days.
  • This was the implicit message in my high school. They separated the students into "college prep" and "career prep," with career prep basically being the dumping ground for the stupid or poor kids.
    Just to throw my lot in here, I kinda wish my school had done something like this. Being both stupid and poor, it would've been nice to know there was an option at all. For my entire grade-school life, no one even discussed that you could just 'not go to college'. It was a taboo thing to even acknowledge; we didn't even joke about it. It wasn't that not going to college made you worthless, it was that those people didn't exist.

As much as classism would have sucked, it sucked more to spend a good chunk of my life thinking that all my possible options ended in me being miserable. After dropping out of college, just as stupid and decidedly poorer, it took what now seems like a ludicrously large logical leap for me to comprehend that "Chef" was a job that people could become, rather than all non-collegiate vocations in the world being crewed by some kind of ur-folk that had always somehow existed in that state of being. All plumbers and electricians were obviously spawned by some frothing, fleshy, hairy vat. You might as well have told me the earth was an ellipsoid.

My mom is currently working for the same school district I grew up in, in the same elementary school that I went to, and has even creepier stories than I remember. There's always been a thing where they rotate one class a day to come to the office and lead the school in the Pledge of Allegiance (which also creeps me out, but I digress) before class starts. Now, apparently, they have the kids each sound off afterward with "When I graduate from college, I want to be-", screening all the kids answers beforehand. If one of them has an answer that doesn't require a college degree, they're scolded until they change it. So, I can confidently say my indoctrination began at about 5 years old.
  • My school, being in a rural area, places more value than most on vocational education. Several of my classmates already work in auto shops, and many are in the FFA and place well at competitions; one of my friends was ranked something like the 23rd best crop judge in the country (at the high school level). This does, however, separate the school somewhat. There are some people who I have never even seen since they spend the majority of their time in vocational and lower-level classes. The divide between the "college-bound" and "vocational" students is noticeable, but the school has a very accepting attitude overall.
  • edited May 2011
    As a college student, I can easily say that I'm not really getting that much of my money's worth from this whole experience. I don't really want to a vocational or hands-on job, because I have no interest in it or the good physicality for it either and it wouldn't fulfill me intellectually. However, being in college itself has been more irritating to me than good, mostly because I really don't feel like I'm learning stuff that's important. Why must there be so many bullshit and pointless prerequisites for getting into the major of your choice?

What I think is the most lacking in terms of colleges, is that many of them still have the attitude from the 70s-80s. That you really don't need to adjust to what today's students have experienced or how they have lived their lives, which is so much different compared to just ten years ago. We've changed as a society in how we regard having a college degree, yet colleges haven't seemed to change much in how they want to treat students. (They probably know this, considering how much money they get from a single student) Hell, colleges straight up teach you that what career you take has only 20% chance of being related to the major you have, and they continue on with saying only 15% of people have to make an actual job application and interview to get into a business. They should change their formula on what's really important to learn and less on how getting a diploma is necessary based on just hours alone.

They really need to change their attitude on what's more important to teach teenagers, which is the importance of socializing. We've almost negated the importance of it, and it's had an effect of our children or even kids five years younger than me. (And there are horror stories) College has a real lack of actual job preparation, as do many students. And I don't mean to sound bitter, but many people who are my age, tend to really have an issue distinguishing themselves or have a general disdain of public speech.

Part of what also makes vocational or physical jobs less glamourous, is just that there's more risk in making a true business from it anymore. There was a bit more entrepreneurship going on, because it didn't require as specific needs. Any business or job now has more specific needs with few exceptions. Classism has overall been on the rise, even I will admit to having a sense of it just because anyone my age can't have a regular 9 to 5 job within my own home town. The glorification of having a craft by your own hands has been lost, because of how we've changed as a culture.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • As a homeowner, it is extremely satisfying to take a do-it-yourself approach to fixing things and making improvements. I came in knowing little to nothing but with every job, I'm prepared to take my time, read up (or watch videos on YouTube), and buy the proper tools to expand my collection. I've done a lot of jobs, and they always come with a heavy dose of learning.

I've only had to call someone into my house twice. Once to replace the furnace and air conditioning unit (simply do not have the time to learn how to do that properly, would probably take weeks, and the risk involving in fucking it up is way too high), and the other time to hang a storm door on my front entrance. Part of the frame that the door would mount to was rotting so it was not a standard job, and I really wanted this door to be perfect, so it was worth hiring out. I can personally attest that the workforce shortage is real, though. It was hard to find a quality person to go with.
  • Part of the frame that the door would mount to was rotting so it was not a standard job, and I really wanted this door to be perfect, so it was worth hiring out.
    I would hire out anyway, but that's mostly because I really fuckin' hate hanging doors. I can do it, but I really fucking hate it - just like carpeting. FUCK laying carpet.
  • Two years after carpeting my studio and dining room I've still not got round to finishing the job. The carpet isn't cut to the exact size of the room or the shape of the walls. Not yet!
  • Two years after carpeting my studio and dining room I've still not got round to finishing the job. The carpet isn't cut to the exact size of the room or the shape of the walls. Not yet!
    Yea, I still have to put the end bits where my carpet stops at a room with hardwood (5 years later).... The finishing touches on any home job always linger if you don't do them right away. (that just reminded me that I bought the material to do that a few months ago...... )
  • Part of the frame that the door would mount to was rotting so it was not a standard job, and I really wanted this door to be perfect, so it was worth hiring out.
    I would hire out anyway, but that's mostly because I really fuckin' hate hanging doors. I can do it, but I really fucking hate it - just like carpeting. FUCK laying carpet.
    If I ever need new carpets, that will be job #3 that I hire out. For one, I will gain very little interesting knowledge. Also, purchasing the right equipment makes it very cost ineffective. I don't mind paying a premium on a job if I am left with quality gear, but it's single-purpose stuff I'm not going to often re-use.
  • The reason to get an expert to lay carpets is that any big mistake you make will be permanent, unless you buy a whole new carpet. Thankfully I have pretty good carpet laying skills, so I only made one minor mistake, an not enough to worry about.
  • edited May 2011
    Another reason is because you can typically trust professional carpet layers, or indeed anyone who works with flooring, to do a great job. This is because flooring is an insanely cutthroat business when subcontracting happens; as flooring are basically the last "construction" guys on-site, they get blamed for any problems and there is almost never any room left for them in the budget if their do a bad job, so their work has to be flawless. Bad flooring guys do not last long.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Another reason is because you can typically trust professional carpet layers, or indeed anyone who works with flooring, to do a great job. This is because flooring is an insanely cutthroat business when subcontracting happens; as flooring are basically the last "construction" guys on-site, they get blamed for any problems and there is almost never any room left for them in the budget if their do a bad job, so their work has to be flawless. Bad flooring guys do not last long.
    VERY interesting.