This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Duke Nukem Forever has gone gold

2»

Comments

• Hyperspace Hoopla!!

Okay yes I have been to Star Wars Weekends. Uttini.
    When I'm in the US, I'm going to one of those. And Yes, I'm dressing up. Might even organize a choreographed lightsaber duel.
  • So apparently it sucks.

Link 1
    Link 2

I played the demo I got with my Borderlands DLC purchase, and it's definitely nothing stellar. The gameplay didn't really stand out to me, and given how little I played, I imagine it gets stale pretty damn fast. To its credit, I did laugh at a couple parts of the game, so it entertains a bit, at least. I'll probably at least pirate and play through for the humor, 'cause I'm bored anyway. If there's anything better to play, though, go with that for sure.
  • edited June 2011
    T_T

Fuck you, Gearbox. You had a decade of hype on this one. You could have made it something for the ages. But you done fucked it up.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • What has, at long last, been committed to a disc and placed into a box might have been alright a dozen years ago, but by today's standards it simply doesn't hold up.
    And in a single line of a review, you get exactly what you should have been expecting. It didn't promise to be much more - at this point - other than More Duke Nukem. And More Duke is what you got. I'm interested to see what gearbox does with it next, if anything.

Hey, you want a 15 year old game but with shiny graphics? That's what you got.

Though, I do wonder - they were complaining about Sluggish controls, and graphical problems - will that be any better on the PC? After all, this was a game that started development a long, long time ago - I'd think it's fair to say it was almost entirely designed for PC, and then ported quickly across, so I'd be interested to see what reviews are like on those topics when it's reviewed on PC.
  • Welp, that's that.
  • Though, I do wonder - they were complaining about Sluggish controls, and graphical problems - will that be any better on the PC?
    CONTROLLER VS. K&M; THREAD DETECTED
  • I actually saw a live stream of the game the day it came out and can easily say the charm that it had wears off VERY quickly. Skip it and save your time.
  • The controls on PC were definitely sluggish compared to, say, Valve games, but I still felt like it moved faster than, say, Halo and its console counterparts. No qualitative comparisons.
  • The controls on PC were definitely sluggish compared to, say, Valve games, but I still felt like it moved faster than, say, Halo and its console counterparts. No qualitative comparisons.
    That's disappointing. I'd expect the superior accuracy of a gamepad to easily best even a 4000dpi gaming mouse.
  • That's disappointing. I'd expect the superior accuracy of a gamepad to easily best even a 4000dpi gaming mouse.
  • People ask me what my secret is when I snipe in BFBC2. I tell them a Razer DeathAdder with on-the-fly DPI adjustment. The real answer is a duct-taped Dual Shock 2 with a USB adaptor.
  • The real answer is a duct-taped Dual Shock 2 with a USB adaptor.
    I was thinking Power Glove + NES USB adapter.
  • The real answer is a duct-taped Dual Shock 2 with a USB adaptor.
    I was thinking Power Glove + NES USB adapter.
    Well, I mean, you could do that, but if I'm looking for that ultra-high NES resolution, I have to say that the NES U-Force is my controller of choice.
  • edited June 2011
    The controls on PC were definitely sluggish compared to, say, Valve games, but I still felt like it moved faster than, say, Halo and its console counterparts. No qualitative comparisons.
    Fair enough. I just figured I'd ask the question, since you know someone was going to, and after all, it is a game that's been in development since the days when the most powerful console was probably the N64, and most first person video games looked like this
    Or this -
    No joke, that's Final doom, released the same year as Duke 3D. When Duke Forever was announced, Duke 3d had only been out a few months.

So, considering the times around the dev cycle, start to finish, you can probably safely say the game was aimed at PC from the start, and the addition of support for the modern consoles was a recent addition.

But, of course, that's irrelevant, since they're apparently both the same.
    Well, I mean, you could do that, but if I'm looking for that ultra-high NES resolution, I have to say that the NES U-Force is my controller of choice.
    Pfft, Gimme a break, scrub. Every H4rdcor3 gamer knows that it's R.O.B or nothing.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Gimme a break, scrub. Every H4rdcor3 gamer knows that it's R.O.B or nothing.
    Pfft, wuss.

Just think about the no-scope, and you've already done it.
  • I just played through the first hour or so of the PC version. I haven't experienced any sluggish controls or graphical problems. It's shiny, though surprisingly unpolished and buggy at times. I saw a few aliens floating around in ways they definitely weren't supposed to a few times, and a few NPCs are less than impressively modeled, skinned, and animated. It's not a great game by any means; it's basically a generic FPS with some occasional hilarious dialogue. That said, I'm incredibly bored this week and will probably end up finishing it anyway, unless it gets way bad.
  • edited June 2011
    Just think about the no-scope, and you've already done it.
    Pshaw, all y'all are little bitches.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited June 2011
    Steel Battalion and its controller are my gaming holy grail. I want to get them and build a mech cockpit replica.

Dat covered eject button.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The above video is NSFW. It's also really not worth putting on YouTube or posting in the forum, but to each his own, I suppose.
  • edited June 2011
    The above video is NSFW. It's also really not worth putting on YouTube or posting in the forum, but to each his own, I suppose.
    I just thought it was dumb.
    Post edited by progSHELL on