This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

YouTube relaxing its copyright policy?

Comments

• This is good, but has no bearing on them relaxing their copyright policy.
  • Yeah, they are still bound by the terms and conditions of american/international copyright law. This is just them integrating creative commons into their video tagging systems.
  • I had a friend who put a video up about a week ago. It was a video of his 3 year old daughter at a "gymboree" type thing. There was a song playing in the background, children's music. Youtube sent him an email demanding he take it down due to copyright infringement.
  • Well, I'm not a lawyer but, in this case, your friend could probably dispute it based on grounds of substantialness or lack of impact and claim it to be under fair use.
  • There's certainly been some relaxation on their copyright hounding. I don't care enough to look into the specifics, but I had a Tokyo Babylon video that got blocked for "matching third party content" years back. I just noticed the other day it's back, just with the stern warning that ads may play over the video.
  • This is very good and useful for people making entirely original content, but doesn't help people like Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged, whose material is covered under fair use, but Youtube still caves after one unwarranted e-mail from the copyright holder.
  • edited June 2011
    Gods, it's nice when these features actually launch and I can talk about them. Not that I'm in any way a mouthpiece of Google or youtube.

The goal of this move by Youtube isn't to deal with DMCA and fair-use issues from old world media companies - It's to allow new world media companies, high based on user participation and sharing, to more easily make their policies clear. The goal here is to encourage the creation of new web content that is mixable, redistributable, and user-editable - Fair use on old-world media is a seperate issue.

It's worth noting that I can now redistribute Geeknights via Youtube, whereas previously the only license option claimed copyright, and was thus not allowed. I still do need to include a link to the original authors, as both attribution and a place to download the source material.
    Post edited by GauntletWizard on
  • Along the same vein as the remixability of CC licensed stuff on youtube, maybe they'll make an option for content creators to allow download links of the source file for their CC licensed works
  • Along the same vein as the remixability of CC licensed stuff on youtube, maybe they'll make an option for content creators to allow download links of the source file for their CC licensed works
    I don't think YT wants to host giant source files made by people who can't compress for shit.
    I don't think YT wants to host giant source files made by people who can't compress for shit.
    Hai~
  • It's worth noting that I can now redistribute Geeknights via Youtube, whereas previously the only license option claimed copyright, and was thus not allowed. I still do need to include a link to the original authors, as both attribution and a place to download the source material.
    Idea: get that person who animated:

to do a full episode, or at least longer clips.

Wait. Better idea. Does anyone know if Fast Karate is under creative commons?
    If you're looking to download from Youtube, there are plenty of scripts like this one that will add a download button to all videos.