This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Westboro Baptist Church versus...Ku Klux Klan?

edited June 2011 in Politics
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/30/arlington.cemetery.protesters/index.html?hpt=T2
Protesting members of the controversial Westboro Baptist Church were met with an unlikely group of counter-protesters Monday at Arlington National Cemetery.

Hours before President Barack Obama led the nation's Memorial Day observances at the Tomb of the Unknowns, three members of the Westboro Baptist Church were challenged by others who disagreed with them -- including members claiming to be from the Ku Klux Klan.

The Kansas-based church has attracted nationwide attention for its angry, anti-gay protests at the funerals of U.S. military members.

Among those counter-protesting at the cemetery's main entrance: About 10 members of a group that claims to be a branch of the Ku Klux Klan from Virginia called the Knights of the Southern Cross. They were cordoned off separately in a nearby area, but drew little attention as they gave out small American flags behind a banner that read "POW-MIA."

They said they were there to object to the Westboro Baptist Church's anti-troop message.

"It's the soldier that fought and died and gave them that right to free speech," said Dennis LaBonte, the self-described "Imperial Wizard" of the KKK group that he said he formed several years ago.

"That's fine," said Abigail Phelps, the daughter of Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps. "They have no moral authority on anything.

"People like them say it's white power ... white supremacy," Phelps said. "The Bible doesn't say anywhere that it's an abomination to be born of a certain gender or race."

LaBonte insisted he is not a racist nor a "hate-monger," but said he believes the white race is "slowly and most assuredly being denigrated."

Members of the group declined to say whether they were armed.

A larger group of about 70 protesters -- separate from the KKK -- located across the street waved pro-USA signs and took turns shouting down the Westboro Baptist Church group.

Some of the counter-protesters, including Malaika Elias, stood in front of the Westboro participants in an attempt to block them from street view.

"I think they're twisted and confused, and we're just here to show them there are people who think they're completely wrong," Elias said.

Many passersby shouted their thanks to the counter-protesters as they entered the cemetery on foot and in vehicles.

Several police officers, some on horseback, observed the proceedings.

Phelps said her trio was there to tell people they should not "idolize" the dead, especially those who died for an "unrighteous cause."
Fuck it. I give up. I'm gonna go get smashed; wake me up when the world makes sense again.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Great, two groups to hate, for different reasons. Its funny to hear the WB people lamblast anyone for not having the moral high ground. I'd rather have the patriot riders stop the WB church than Klansmen.

Reminds me of the Greensboro shooting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre

Is it wrong of me to have hoped that the WB people got beat up by the KKK?
    Post edited by AaronC on
  • Is it wrong of me to have hoped that the WB people got beat up by the KKK?
    I must admit, the idea of the KKK burning crosses in the WBC's yard is amusing.
  • I just like the idea of someone coming to a dinner party and introducing themselves as an 'Imperial Wizard'.
  • The thing about the WBC is, they really hate everyone who isn't them. Their web site is like some strange piece of found art. If you will read only one section of their site, it must be the one about eating children.
    If you spend just a few minutes looking at the food network you will see that they can doctor things up with weird flavoring and make anything edible – and do – early and often. There is nothing too weird or exotic for these people to try; and they pay people serious money to be really good at preparing these items so they are most delectable. It will be no thing for these iron chefs of this doomed land to make newborn baby quite appealing and truly it will be all the rage, especially among the wealthy and powerful. When one of Beast Obama’s daughters (who are being raised to be absolute whores!) gets pregnant –“makes a mistake” in that evil fork-tongued Son of Perdition’s words – since he won’t want her “punished” with his grandchild (these are his words uttered out of his Pashur-mouth on March 29, 2008, at a town hall meeting in Johnstown, PA) – that baby will only reach the moment of birth if it’s marketable as a commodity. Just think what the Antichrist President’s grandbaby’s body will fetch on the market! By then he might be world leader – the rich and powerful of the world will line up!
    Last year the WBC announced they'd be picketing my son's school. A counter-rally was organized, and a couple thousand people (mostly students) stood in front of the school with pro-love, pro-queer, and generally happy messages on shirts and signs. The WBC didn't even give us the courtesy of showing up.
  • WBC is a lawsuit-generator for profit, nothing more. It's best ignored.
  • WBC is a lawsuit-generator for profit, nothing more. It's best ignored.
    Their lawsuit-generating tactics are the only real evidence I can find that they're not performance art.
  • You want to know why they have such a hate-boner for Australia, too? They were going to come down here and picket the Bushfire funerals, and the government said "Not a fucking chance", the Federal Police said "Not a fucking chance", Deadly animals said "Not a fucking chance", the public said "Not a fucking chance", and no less than three large outlaw Biker gangs said "Chance it, so we can fuck you with chains and giant blades."

Predictably, they very quickly decided not to show up on our shores, and their hate boner grew three sizes that day.
  • You want to know why they have such a hate-boner for Australia, too? They were going to come down here and picket the Bushfire funerals, and the government said "Not a fucking chance", the Federal Police said "Not a fucking chance", Deadly animals said "Not a fucking chance", the public said "Not a fucking chance", and no less than three large outlaw Biker gangs said "Chance it, so we can fuck you with chains and giant blades."

Predictably, they very quickly decided not to show up on our shores, and their hate boner grew three sizes that day.
    It's also not unusual for them to just plain not show up, regardless of response (or lack thereof). They seem to get a large portion of their jollies simply by announcing their protests.

I am a fan of the Phelps-a-thon. Regardless of what the WBC is really about, Phelps-a-thon acts like a power converter of sorts, turning some of the angry response to WBC into monies for the groups that WBC threatens to picket. They raised a good bit of money for the Gay Straight Alliance at my kid's school last year.
  • There are two things that the WBC could be: 1) Performance Art by the most badass leftists ever. 2) Trolls. I take pride that I go to a school that the WBC has protested (or, said they would anyway.) Massachusetts should put it in the tourism brochures that they have been officially damned by the WBC as the most perverse state in the nation.
  • edited June 2011
    Anyone who has a site that is called "God Hates Sweden" (for being fabulous with t3h gay) is too full of hurpdedurp to be paid attention to.
    I think I hate the Klan more that the WBT, because as obnoxious and hateful as the WBT is, the haven't violenced anyone, at least that I know of.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • I think I hate the Klan more that the WBT, because as obnoxious and hateful as the WBT is, the haven't violenced anyone, at least that I know of.
    On the other hand, Imperial Wizards. It sounds like the Klan is into Warhammer.
  • We were mad because the took a bunch of cool names like Grand Dragon. They suck.
  • I'm looking forward to a slightly cooler summer from hell freezing over.
  • burn them all
  • edited June 2011
    If anyone is really interested in knowing more about/working against various hate mongers and extremist groups, I highly recommend looking into the Southern Poverty Law Center. I've been a contributing member there since I was a preteen. It is an amazing organization that has bankrupted these groups time and time again, advocated against their illegal practices while never attempting to diminish their freedom of speech, provides newsletters and information about extremist/hate group activities via their Intelligence Report, and has a great Teaching Tolerance program (I highly encourage any teachers, scout leaders, etc. to get involved with the Teaching Tolerance project).
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • It's like the Atticus Finch Charity!
  • If anyone is really interested in knowing more about/working against various hate mongers and extremist groups, I highly recommend looking into the Southern Poverty Law Center. I've been a contributing member there since I was a preteen. It is an amazing organization that has bankrupted these groups time and time again, advocated against their illegal practices while never attempting to diminish their freedom of speech, provides newsletters and information about extremist/hate group activities via their Intelligence Report, and has a great Teaching Tolerance program (I highly encourage any teachers, scout leaders, etc. to get involved with the Teaching Tolerance project).
    Are we long-lost sisters or something? We really should have coffee sometime.
  • If anyone is really interested in knowing more about/working against various hate mongers and extremist groups, I highly recommend looking into the Southern Poverty Law Center. I've been a contributing member there since I was a preteen. It is an amazing organization that has bankrupted these groups time and time again, advocated against their illegal practices while never attempting to diminish their freedom of speech, provides newsletters and information about extremist/hate group activities via their Intelligence Report, and has a great Teaching Tolerance program (I highly encourage any teachers, scout leaders, etc. to get involved with the Teaching Tolerance project).
    I would love to. Where do you live?
    I would love to. Where do you live?
    Boston. How about you?

I don't suppose there's any chance you'll be at either ConnectiCon or PortCon?