This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Funtime NYC Trip Wednesday June 22nd 2011

edited June 2011 in Everything Else
So my friend is coming from Florida. He is going to be in NYC for a couple days but I am going to come to the city on the above said day and spend it with him. I only have until around 5-7 pm with him. He has evening plans. We will start at the MoCCA and the go to lunch. I was thinking Cafe Zayia, unless anyone has any better suggestions that are in midtown and are also cheap. The food does not have to be Japanese it could be anything. What were some of the awesome burger place that have been mentioned? Now for the afternoon, well that is where my plans end. I was thinking going to some used book stores like The Bookoff and Kinokuniya. Or maybe spending some time in the Nintendo store. I am wide open to suggestions for some afternoon fun. Is that fun awesome famous arcade closed??? Please forum help make my friend's trip memorable.

Comments

• Is that fun awesome famous arcade closed?
    Chinatown fair is all gone, byebye. Actually, I think it is in Brooklyn now, but it only has, like, 4 cabinets.
    If he likes Japanese stuff, Saint Marks is where it's at.
  • edited June 2011
    Saint Marks you say? (right here is where I need the Starship Troopers voice to come on and say, "Would you like to know more?" Also I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter. Tell me about this Saint of Marks. Mistress Emily, I am in the proverbial dark of the matter of which you speak. Please fair lady enlighten me!!!!
    *EDIT*
    So Saint Marks is a whole area like Chinatown or The Village? (i realise I just make myself look really ignorant of city life here but I do not care. This is the first I have heard of Saint Marks) Do you recommend a particular place to eat or visit? Or just walk around and have funtimes?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Somewhere, the inventor of the search engine is crying all alone in a corner.
  • So Saint Marks is a whole area like Chinatown or The Village? (i realise I just make myself look really ignorant of city life here but I do not care. This is the first I have heard of Saint Marks) Do you recommend a particular place to eat or visit? Or just walk around and have funtimes?
    Saint Marks is a street in the East Village (East Village is the neighborhood, Saint Marks is a part of it.)
    I recommend Kenka if you are there in the evening. It is an uproarious Japanese pub modeled after 1950s Japanese Yakuza movies, and the food and booze is cheap and decent. There's usually a wait for large parties, so if that fails, try the Village Yokocho, next to Sunrise Mart on Sty.
    Chopsticks Magazineis a free monthly guide magazine about Japanese business and culture in NY. If you are interested in looking at Japanese stuff, this is a good place to start. It's how I found the Korean Bathhouse in Queens!
    Somewhere, the inventor of the search engine is crying all alone in a corner.
    LOL
  • edited June 2011
    Thank you!! That was very helpful!!! :) :)

So the revised plans are as follows. We will meet up around 10:30 -11 am and go for an early lunch. Lunch will be at Cafe Zayia on 41st. Then the MoCCA opens at 12, so we will go there. After the MoCCA we will either go to Kinokuniya, Bookoff or maybe the Nintendo store. I am looking for suggestions for dinner however. What burger place should we go to? I think Luke suggested some cool places...
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • I would go to Kinokuniya and Bookoff before the MoCCA because they are right by Zaiya. MoCCA is down in SoHo. You'd be wasting subway fare.
  • Ah ok, thanks for the advice. I know I sound stupid but I do not know much about NYC and where things are in it.
  • What burger place should we go to?
    Schnipper's.