This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• Those Alure strips from Home depot doesn't seem to hard to install. My cousin will be helping me also. I'm just not sure how level the floor is going to be once I remove the old carpeting.
  • Allure are vinyl strips, they attach to each other not the floor.
  • Right I understand. What I mean is I was told that when you remove the carpeting or whatever. The floor may have bumps or not be very smooth. And it will be difficult laying down the strips keeping them level with each other. Hope I explained that right.
  • What you're describing could be an issue. I would read up more about the product to see what sort of tolerance it has to the roughness of the floor. Some of them do come with foam rolls that you will put down between the subfloor and the snap-in wood, which can eliminate some of the bumpiness (because the floor will never be PERFECT) but it definitely has its limits.
  • Allure does not require the padding but if the bumps are minor using a pad could even out the floor enough.

A small amount of bragging, this is the kind of buy you get when you don't fall in love with a house and don't ever take the listed value of a house. (I bought the house at 2/3rd what it is estimated to be worth now a year later).
  • edited February 2014
    What is that graph from? According to Zillow my house is worth 73% more than what I paid for it. They also put some old pics up on the listing. They must be ten+ years old because all of the wood floors look great but they were horrible when I bought the place.

If it reaches its 2005 high (250% of what I paid) I will probably sell it.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • yea it's from Zillow. Obviously it doesn't mean much because I don't plan to sell anytime soon but it's funny that the house rebounded about 100k in one year.
  • HMTKSteve said:
    Because I live in the DC Metro area and it's walkable to Old Town Manassas.
  • wow during the housing boom that house was 400k for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom.. 250 isn't bad (though it's hard to get past what you can get for 250 elsewhere....*cough* move to PA instead) and while I'd advise against ever buying a 2 bedroom house, metro to DC probably isn't the worst market to buy that in.... It seems to have a partial basement but no information on it. Does it get water? It's a 1920's shell of a house in there so there are parts of the house you'll want to look over specificly the state of the plumbing and electrical, though it looks like they did some major updating to it.
  • edited September 2014
    I'd definitely try and shave 10k at least off the house, the properties in the area tend to vary widely in their selling price compared to what they are estimated. Considering they just shaved 9k off the asking price only a month after putting the house on the market. They may be motivated sellers. Which should give you some room to negotiate. Also They seem to have bought the house for 128k in 98, minus the remodeling costs, they probably have a bit of wiggle room.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Don't suppose anyone has any SF Bay Area tips T_T
  • Andrew said:

Don't suppose anyone has any SF Bay Area tips T_T

Don't move there.

To afford anything good you'll need to be fabulously wealthy. If you are fabulously wealthy, there's no reason to be living there in the first place.
  • edited September 2014
    You'd have to name the actual area, since the SF bay area is huge and each individual area has it's own markets but I have to agree with Apreche, everything I've read on the housing market there is you probably can't afford it.

it's hard to give advise in Hot inflated markets like Seattle and SF because it's a sellers market. I guess you could attempt to learn about properties before they get on the market somehow which would give you an advantage.
  • Andrew said:

I've got a friend who lives in Berkeley whose husband works for Google. I can see what they know.

• edited September 2014
    bahaha, did a search for properties under 300k in san fran... and the first place I looked at was this hahahah..

zillow.com/homedetails/434-Hanover-St-B-San-Francisco-CA-94112/15179611_zpid/

hahah, it's a lot in the middle of the block, not even sure how you access it from the map....
  • I'll be working at Menlo Park. I think FB has shuttles to and from most areas. We aren't looking to actually buy anything, so I suppose it's mostly just looking to rent at this point :/
  • Cremlian said:

I'd definitely try and shave 10k at least off the house, the properties in the area tend to vary widely in their selling price compared to what they are estimated. Considering they just shaved 9k off the asking price only a month after putting the house on the market. They may be motivated sellers. Which should give you some room to negotiate. Also They seem to have bought the house for 128k in 98, minus the remodeling costs, they probably have a bit of wiggle room.

Zillow isn't accurate, the current owner bought it for 339 in 05. It's a potential short sale, which is fine for me because I'm in no hurry. Literally everything else in the area at this price point is townhouses, so an actual detached house is quite nice. It's also flanked on both sides by new construction so it's probably going to gain equity upon their completion. My real estate agent (who is also my aunt that I'm close with) recommended we offer 245 with 5 towards closing costs. Manassas is changing, it's getting a lot nicer and more upmarket so I think this will appreciate in that regard as well. All the new construction townhomes are listed at low 300s minimum.
  • I'm not going off Zillow's estimate alone, I'm looking at recent sales in the area compared to estimated valuation. It's weird that the county doesn't have records of that sale. (I was looking at the county records.)

So your Aunt and I agree 10k :-p just in different ways.
  • Cremlian said:

So your Aunt and I agree 10k :-p just in different ways.

Pretty much.
  • Andrew said:

I'll be working at Menlo Park. I think FB has shuttles to and from most areas. We aren't looking to actually buy anything, so I suppose it's mostly just looking to rent at this point :/

How far away would you be willing to live from where you work? And what's your price range?

• Andrew said:

Talk to Nelson Pecora aka Yoshokatano. I believe he lived in SF for a bit or has contacts there.
  • SF? Sleep in your car.
  • My friend's advice so far in regards to places to find affordable housing in the Bay Area: "2 hours north, south, or inland."

They've been looking for a place of their own since they moved to Berkeley about 4 years ago.
  • You could be a cool cat like me and live in Brisbane.
  • Getting ready to actually put down an offer on that house.
  • Getting ready to actually put down an offer on that house.

Shiiiiiiiiit. I just paid my catering deposit for the wedding the other day, and I thought that was real money.
  • OH mans, soon George can join the very exclusive landed gentry of the FRC..