This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tired on Mondays (Or, nominally, sound cards)

RymRym
edited September 2006 in GeekNights
So, we were dead tired tonight, and it didn't feel like a terribly good show to us. Does it stand out when we're too tired to really produce quality? Do you even notice? Do you care? ^_~

Or, since we talked about sound cards, do you have anything to say about them?

(I'm using the same SoundBlaster Live I bought in 2000 for the show, and I don't ever really plan to replace it).

Comments

• I thought it was a great show. From a musician's perspective the sound card stuff was really fascinating. I really appreciated all the explanations... I'm not very knowledgable about the tech stuff.

I remember playing wolfenstein with no sound though! That was a funny memory.
  • I played X-Com: Mission UFO without sound for many years. By the time I experienced the full game, gaming technology had advanced significantly, and I was seriously underwhelmed.

I also played all of Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness without sound. I was actually very impressed with that game once I heard its soundtrack many years later.
  • I'm spoiled. I had a Sound Blaster 16 that worked with every game.
  • I remember LOVING the C64 music. My brother was in one of those groups that used to put out demos. He made these intricate logos for their hacker groups and some crazy ass sound programmer would make these songs that were unbelievable.

I remember seeing a video of Information Societies "pure energy" with full voice ... on the C64! It was insane.
  • Meanwhile, back on topic...

I can definitely tell when you guys aren't on your A game, but I'm not terribly bothered by it. A half hearted geeknights still makes my day far more amusing than no geeknights at all. Personally I really enjoyed your series on how computers work and since you both already know that stuff already whenever you have a Way-Too-Tired-Monday I think that'd make for a decent and informative topic.

Wholly unrelated tangent: Whenever I run a spellcheck it says that "that'd" is misspelled. It seems an obvious contraction of "that would" but is it strictly speaking proper? What say you, God of Grammar?