This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battleship and Other Impending Cinema Disasters

edited August 2011 in Movies
Rihanna looking cute in a photo from 'Battleship'. How could someone not know they're in a bad movie?

I'm still waiting for the announcement of:
Scrabble, I have a Q and no U's
Big Wheels, starring Jason Statham

Comments

• Man, Battleship looks hilariously awesome. If they are self-aware, it will be so good. If they play it straight, it'll be so bad it's good. I cannot picture a situation where i watch that movie and I'm not entertained.
  • yea, stop hating on Battleship it looks like a good B movie sci fi :-p
  • I haven't been following this. Is Asylum making it, or a half-decent film making studio? Asylum could do wonders with Battleship. Also in the vein is the upcoming Risk movie. I think Hollywood is green-lighting based on what Cracked Photoplasty thinks.
  • Mmmmmm Rihanna.
  • edited August 2011
    I just watched the trailer for Battleship. Being a military nerd, especially about naval vessels, I think I will be entertained by this, though I will probably nerdrage at every inaccuracy about the ships and military conduct and doctrine.

EDIT:

Funny thing is, there are no commissioned battleships at this time and the ones that are left intact are in no condition to go into combat and would take a year or so to become ready for modern naval combat.
    Post edited by panfriedmarmot on
  • Mmmmmm Alexander SkarsgÃ¥rd
  • Funny thing is, there are no commissioned battleships at this time and the ones that are left intact are in no condition to go into combat and would take a year or so to become ready for modern naval combat.
    This was the first thing that popped into my head.
  • edited August 2011
    Mmmmmm Rihanna.
    Mmmmmm Alexander Skarsgård
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Other thing I saw was that they were doing wargame exercises with the Japanese, I wonder if the Japanese will get a fair shake, their navy is pretty badass IRL. Arleigh-Burke derived destroyers plus a bunch of homegrown ones, brand new helicopter/Harrier carriers, a slew of various frigates, and several attack subs. Nothing to sniff at for sure!
  • edited August 2011
    Have you guys seen the trailer for the Rock-em-Sock-em Robots movie?

EDIT: It's called Real Steel
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • It's hard to NOT include this. Prepare those Barf Bags.

• Of course, I wouldn't know from experience, but I think a lot of these actors do a scene here, a scene there, usually out of sequence with the story, maybe read the script through once (or have one of their people do it for them), and obviously don't see special effects that are added in later. Also, they don't know what's going to actually get into the movie and what's going to be cut.

So, they can do a scene, have everything go well, and think, "Okay, that was good", and then be genuinely surprised when the final product sucks.

It doesn't help that they get paid obscene amounts of money, get pampered on set, and realize that even bad movies can add to their reputation as being reliable and good to work with. Consider for a moment the crappy movies Tom Hanks had to do before he was trusted with the good stuff.
  • I hope in Battleship they build a giant ramp, then have a battleship go off said ramp and shoot torpedos at an alien space ship.
  • I hope in Battleship they build a giant ramp, then have a battleship go off said ramp and shoot torpedos at an alien space ship.
    Like that scene in Black Lagoon in the first episode or two?
    I hope they have a submarine ramp off a sinking aircraft carrier and launch 4 torpedoes to destroy 2 giant alien space ships.
    I hope they have a submarine ramp off a sinking aircraft carrier and launch 4 torpedoes to destroy 2 giant alien space ships.
    I don't think Battleship is a Michael Bay movie.
  • Michael Bay wishes he was that awesome.
  • edited August 2011
    People give Michael Bay a lot of crap, but he does make good action sequences.
    They just need to put someone else in charge of everything else and it would be perfect.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Mmmmmm Alexander SkarsgÃ¥rd
    I will agree, he's a badass.
    This is way better then my idea. I love you.

Also I want some grizzled mustachioed captain to be in a life boat shaking his fist at the aliens, "YOU SANK MY BATTLESHIP"
  • edited August 2011
    Have you guys seen the trailer for the Rock-em-Sock-em Robots movie?

EDIT: It's called Real Steel
    >
    the real shame is there is potential for a really good movie in this. A Rollerball/death race 2000 type future where to keep the people in line they give them more and more violence that culminates into robot boxing matches.
    Post edited by highdefinition on