This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Living and working in NYC from overseas

edited August 2011 in Everything Else
I am currently a professional Back-End Web Developer with a BSc in Computer Science born and raised in London. As the title suggests, I would like to move to NYC to live and work (as a Web Dev). I've made some preliminary investigation into how to obtain a work visa, and I think that the one I need to go for is the H-1B visa. Is this correct? Does anyone on the forum have experience in this field?

Thanks, guys :)

Comments

• am currently a professional Back-End Web Developer with a BSc in Computer Science born and raised in London. As the title suggests, I would like to move to NYC to live and work (as a Web Dev). I've made some preliminary investigation into how to obtain a work visa, and I think that the one I need to go for is the H-1B visa. Is this correct? Does anyone on the forum have experience in this field?
    Call an immigration lawyer. Also, a lot of employers will not want you because it is a pain in the ass. Other than that, go for it!
  • am currently a professional Back-End Web Developer with a BSc in Computer Science born and raised in London. As the title suggests, I would like to move to NYC to live and work (as a Web Dev). I've made some preliminary investigation into how to obtain a work visa, and I think that the one I need to go for is the H-1B visa. Is this correct? Does anyone on the forum have experience in this field?
    Call an immigration lawyer. Also, a lot of employers will not want you because it is a pain in the ass. Other than that, go for it!
    He's a Brit though, that's actually a pretty big +
    Yeah, accent will help in interviews.
    There are a ton of Americans living in Mildenhall and Huntington out in near Cambridge, Find an American Chick and marry her they're all looking for British guys.
  • I'd recommend calling an immigration lawyer. I had researched H-1Bs for a paper back in college, and recall that they are VERY difficult to get. Not sure if things have changed though, so an immigration lawyer would be the absolute best reference.
  • Find a company who wants you to work for them, and get them to sponsor your H1-B.
    There are a ton of Americans living in Mildenhall and Huntington out in near Cambridge, Find an American Chick and marry her they're all looking for British guys.
    Haha! I just wanted to live in NYC for a few years, not for life ;P

Time to hit the phones, I guess...
  • I actually met a Brit (on the fourth of July, of all days) who just came to New York to work and live over the summer (he was a student). Didn't come with any housing coordinated (although he had a friend to crash with until then), no job arranged, and no real plan except to get back around time for classes. He may have been some kind of wealthy dilettante type, but if he could make things work, I have few doubts for you.

If I were to travel and do web development, I say try freelancing for at least part of it. You'll meet cool people and be able to take off whenever you want to travel/sightsee/live like a real New Yorker.