This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The school thread!

edited August 2011 in Everything Else
So, it looks like there is no general school discussion (bitch) thread. Might as well start one then.

What classes are you taking this semester? What year are you? Anything in particular you are excited about?

I'm taking Intro to Robotics Research (required for new grad students) and Linear Systems and Control (nervous because I have ZERO controls background). The rest of my time is split between research for my advisor and my GRA.

Comments

• edited August 2011
    I'm going back for a new bachelors in IST. I already have on in Psychology. Seriously though, screw social services. Not the idea, but the crap you have to deal with. Hopefully something will come of IST.

I'm taking intro programming, network admin and a couple of tech-related business and financing classes.
    Post edited by Saedar on
  • edited August 2011
    Ahhhhh
    It's OK, they said that the Ph.D program only takes six years to complete!
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I don't know what it is but I always get a big smile when I see OK Face man.
  • I've got two arts in this, my last, semester. It's going to prevent me from being able to do fuck all until I can figure out how much effort a C drawing takes..
  • Going into college in less than two weeks, I'm most excited for Programming in Java and C and my writing seminar on the modern metropolis.
  • I don't start until the 22nd of September, but this quarter I'm taking Intro to Recording Technology, Intro to Concert Music, Careers in Music, and Guitar Ensemble. I wanted to take some upper level theory courses like Counterpoint, but since I'm transferring in from a community college this year I have to get all the basic classes that I couldn't transfer from my old school out of the way first. Looking forward to hopefully having an easy time in a lot of these classes since this will be my first time in the quarter system.
  • Well, classes start next Monday. Probably one of the ones I'm looking forward to the most is my "Knowledge and Imagination in Science Fiction" course. Also, I'm taking Intro to Programming, French, as well as Music Theory and Ear Training, and Piano Proficiency.
  • I know Ear Training is probably just practicing getting better at knowing music by ear, but it sounds like something that could be so much cooler at first glance.
  • I know Ear Training is probably just practicing getting better at knowing music by ear
    It's usually transcription from recordings and identification of chords/intervals without reference.

I was slowed down by my terrible handwriting on the staff more than any difficulty with the transcription itself. =P
  • I'm a teacher, and therefore the cause of all suffering.
  • edited August 2011
    It's usually transcription from recordings and identification of chords/intervals without reference.
    Well, identification of chords without reference would be more in the territory of absolute/perfect pitch. It's more that if you are given a specific reference point, you can then follow the harmonic structure without having to go back and hear the reference again.

I've always been terrible at the staff also. Whenever I'm asked to dictate something, I always scribble lines through the staff about the area it's supposed to go; when you're expected to hear a passage or something in real time, there ain't any time to waste with those fancy quarter-note fillings; that's my main problem.
    Post edited by remix3211 on
  • This coming semester, I'm taking Akido, ballroom dancing, Actors and Acting, Voice for Theatre Performance, Philosophical Problems, and TV/Film Aesthetics.

I can safely say I'll be looking forward to 80% of this semester's classes.
  • Changing tacks from medical studies to programming, starting with Python, at least for now... It's like the longer you live, you realize you need many more lives to learn all you'd like to! I need a robot body! Where's the Galaxy Express 999 when you need it?
  • I'm going back to RIT in two weeks. Classes start in three. I'm taking 2D Animation, Interactive Digital Media, Science Writing, Social Consequences of Technology, and Ballroom Dance.
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Ballroom Dance
    Gearing up for a place in the Austro-Hungarian court are we?
  • edited August 2011
    Ballroom Dance
    Gearing up for a place in the Austro-Hungarian court are we?
    Axel might be, but I'm prepping for the Grand Galloping Gala.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Im doing a BA in ancient and medieval history. Don't start till next month but I get to study fun, relatively, things. My delightful modules are; Writing Ancient History, The Fall of Rome Republic and Medieval Britain 1250-1500. I also get to play with swords and other such things in experimental archeology.
  • Im doing a BA in ancient and medieval history. Don't start till next month but I get to study fun, relatively, things. My delightful modules are; Writing Ancient History, The Fall of Rome Republic and Medieval Britain 1250-1500. I also get to play with swords and other such things in experimental archeology.
    Don't forget to prep your change of major form.
  • Im in the UK, its all wrapped in to one. Though technically its a joint honours but thats more to do with internal squabbling over dates than anything else. I do another load of modules next semester. Unfortunately if I want to do academics my BA isn't really worth much, so I do a masters. But if I want to stay or advance in my field I have to do a PHD. If I want to be really taken seriously then I need to grow a beard.
  • Going to Newcastle University for a year to continue my Molecular Bio BA and my pre-med work. I've got some interesting modules: Clinical Cases in Neuroscience, Clinical Studies I (a med school course), Toxicology, and a Prereq course on cellular systems biology and transcription/translation mechanics. That's my fall term.

NU sponsors a Muay Thai gym for its students, so I'll finally get to stop shit-talking and start kickboxing; I'll also be working on finding a gaming group, as well as learning some other nifty skills (I'm considering taking a job in a bar or one of the medical libraries). There is to be plenty of travel, as well.
  • I'll also be working on finding a gaming group, as well as learning some other nifty skills (I'm considering taking a job in a bar or one of the medical libraries)
    Most of the Uni's in the UK have societies that cover these sorts of things. Also your best bet is to look at waiter and KP work. Uni's also have their own bar ran by the student union, check their website they might have the jobs going.
  • Going to take Digital Tools for Graphics, Art History 2 (again sadly) and, embarrassingly, a certain type of math course. What's even more embarrassing is the fact that I'm 25 and still in school. Sigh...
  • Ahhhhh
    Yep. Out of college for three years and couldn't be happier. I had planned on going for a Master's, but academia is just not for me. I like being in a real job.
  • Due to academic mistakes on my end, my already limited senior year selection was limited to science. I chose astronomy.
  • Ahhhhh
    I'm of the same mind, however, I would honestly like to go back to take language courses. I really don't know what I could do with it, but I really love learning languages.

Currently, it's not financially viable for me to go to school as long as Jeremy is as well unless I want to move back in with my parents. That is last resort sort of thing. I love my parents, but living on my own is so much better for my sanity.
  • In addition to the required English, math (Calc BC) and theology (with the shitty teacher I complained about last year) I'm taking: Chinese IV, Studio Art, and AP Physics. I was going to take the new AP Computer Science course but it conflicted with Chinese. The school might let me do computer science as a self-study, but if not, I'll probably try to dual-enroll at a local college over weekends.
  • This year I'll be taking Calc AB, AP physics, AP English, AP government, and advanced drama (twice!). My schedule is shaping up to be pretty good.

I still have to read one more book and write four essays for English by the 24th, though. *headdesk*
  • Intro to Database
    Interactive Programming
    American Sign Language II
    Intro to Philosophy
    Other crap (work + physical stuff)

Most importantly, though, no classes before 10, nothing on Thursday or Friday. Aaahhhhh.
  • You people and your fancy colleges.

My culinary school final is this week. It's 15 hours long. Fuck my life. Although, admittedly, it wouldn't be so bad if the temperature here had dipped under, say, 102 in the past few weeks. It finally rained two days ago - for about 35 seconds. And y'know what? The rain was burning hot, as a great big 'fuck you' from mother nature. It is a million billion degrees in the kitchen, and I suddenly can't remember why I thought summer classes were a good idea.