This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

HP Kills WebOS

Comments

• Note that it can also function as an e-reader, and is cheaper than a Kindle (or any other e-reader, really), and can still do far more. I'll probably be using it for developing purposes, in the long run.
  • Note that it can also function as an e-reader, and is cheaper than a Kindle (or any other e-reader, really), and can still do far more. I'll probably be using it for developing purposes, in the long run.
    That is true, it is so insanely cheap that it beats every other reader. Also, it has one of those IPS screens you guys seem to hate. Maybe I can get it to be a quality reader for comics, mostly scanslations.
  • Also, it has one of those IPS screens you guys seem to hate. Maybe I can get it to be a quality reader for comics, mostly scanslations.
    I don't hate them, I just don't want to fork over the 200 to 400 dollars to buy two of them over the price of normal LCD's I have :-p I also thought about comic reading :-p
  • 3) Even if you have a smartphone and a laptop, you have a ton of money. You want to be able to do some casual computing from the couch or bed while lying on your back. You could use your laptop or phone, but the tablet is more comfortable than the laptop and has a bigger screen than the phone. You are willing to pay extra money for that slight bit of extra comfort.
    This is the category I fell into, but I don't have a ton of money. Well, "ton of money" is no longer a barrier to entry for the TouchPad, so I'm getting one.

Looks like it's not that hard to get Ubuntu on these things. Check out this thread.
  • edited August 2011
    Looks like it's not that hard to get Ubuntu on these things. Check out this thread.
    I wonder if I can triple boot the original OS, Ubuntu and Android. That would be pretty sweet. They're all Linux when you get right down to it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Well, it'd be more like dual-booting - Ubuntu runs within webOS as an app (sort of). It's really interesting how they set it up.
  • edited August 2011
    Looking at Scott's categories, I guess I'm sort of in #3. I would love to dick around on the internet from bed, but I think I'll save my cash, use my phone, and buy some kick ass light up juggling balls.

Edit, engadget seems to have captured my feelings exactly about why I'm not ready to buy a tablet in their current market state.
    Post edited by jmerm on
  • edited August 2011
    Here are my reasons:

1) Textbooks. The kind of texts I get and read for molecular biology have huge pages of multicolored flowcharts, figures, and diagrams. My Kindle is perfectly useless for your average page of Stryer Biochemistry or Greys Anatomy. Hence, Touchpad.
    2) Comics and RPG rulebooks. See point one.
    3) Travel. My laptop is a God-of-Gods Ultraportable, and it's not in my best interests to carry it everywhere. Also, its heavier and was much more expensive than my Touchpad. The tablet makes sense from a travel perspective; its even got a mic and a camera so I can skype and podcast on my trips.
    4) Straight chillin' with Netflix and shit. I don't have $800 for an iPad 2, but I sure as shit have $150 for a IPS tablet that the entire Android community is taking an interest in.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Straight chillin' with Netflix and shit.
    Man, I didn't even think of this one!
  • Netflixers will have to wait for Android, unfortunately.
    Wait, why? Can this tablet not run Silverlight?
  • I can't believe Netflix still uses fucking Silverlight.
    Nope, no Silverlight. And, really, nobody would notice if it weren't for Netflix.
    Nope, no Silverlight. And, really, nobody would notice if it weren't for Netflix.
    Or the olympics.
  • I don't know why you guys are in such a hurry to burn $100. :P
    I'll admit, I nearly bought one, but I realized that It would provide me zero added utility over what I already have.
    Here are my reasons:

1) Textbooks. The kind of texts I get and read for molecular biology have huge pages of multicolored flowcharts, figures, and diagrams. My Kindle is perfectly useless for your average page of Stryer Biochemistry or Greys Anatomy. Hence, Touchpad.
    2) Comics and RPG rulebooks. See point one.
    3) Travel. My laptop is a God-of-Gods Ultraportable, and it's not in my best interests to carry it everywhere. Also, its heavier and was much more expensive than my Touchpad. The tablet makes sense from a travel perspective; its even got a mic and a camera so I can skype and podcast on my trips.
    4) Straight chillin' with Netflix and shit. I don't have $800 for an iPad 2, but I sure as shit have $150 for a IPS tablet that the entire Android community is taking an interest in.
  • 4) Straight chillin' with Netflix and shit.
    I was ready to drop the money just for this. I don't have dual screens, so I wanted something I could run Netflix on in the background while I did other things. But no Silverlight, so.
  • edited August 2011
    Hulu Plus should work. I'm pretty sure that doesn't use silverlight.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Hulu Plus should work. I'm pretty sure that doesn't use silverlight.
    4) Straight chillin' with Netflix and shit.
    I was ready to drop the money just for this. I don't have dual screens, so I wanted something I could run Netflix on in the background while I did other things. But no Silverlight, so.
    Even if Netflix or Hulu plus did work, they would be mad slow.

However, there is one possibility. Someone could create a Linux distro that had a sole purpose of playing such videos. Some really stripped down software that is nothing but a highly optimized video player. Think like turning the touchpad into a Roku that does nothing but play Hulu/Netflix. Then it could be fast.
  • It'll run fine once you install the Android hax and overclock the processor to its maximum speed if 1.7GHz with Preware. If the Galaxy tab can run Netflix just fine (to my knowledge, it can), the Touchpad definitely can. It also runs Flash natively, so Hulu should work. I'll finish the overclock hack after work tonight and report back with results.
  • Just a note, has anyone had theirs ship yet?
  • edited August 2011
    I just removed the download speed throttle and did the overclock hack. Currently Huluing at full speed, with some sweet, sweet Raoh Gaiden. This thing definitely works as a media device.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I'm about to.
  • Oh mans. So fast.
  • Man, I still think mine is going to be cancelled.. Sad.
  • While I am kinda watching this whole HP touchpad thing mostly serious, I am amused by how many people are attempting to get this thing and how it exposes some of the flaws in online stores inventory systems. HP really caused a headache for online retailers this week ^_^
  • Mine hasn't shipped yet. This doesn't bode well...
  • A perfect example of developer incompetence. Someone needs to get some project management up in that bitch.