This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Quick play and casual games

2»

Comments

• This is the casual game to end all casual games: Cards Against Humanity. Of course, you have to be fucked up and demented to enjoy it, but that's no problem. This game is Apples to Apples, but the catch is that every card is on par with the Hellen Keller card. It's free to download a print-and-play, and I'm almost done making all the cards. Going to finish up today, find a little container for them, and add to my convention bag.
  • Nate Hasiak from Moral of the Story was telling me about that game the other day. I think I will take the PDF and have it printed and cut at a Kinkos. He said the game was pretty hilarious.
  • The makers of Spot-It released another game called Trigger: The Answer Lies in Your Hands!.

It's in the same vein of Spot-It where it's the same type of small circular cards contained in a tin can. There are 6 different statements on the cards where one player, who is the active moderator, reads aloud one of the statements. All other players then decide whether it's a true or false statement and quickly must slap their hand on the foam target with your right hand represents "True" and left represents "False". The player that first slaps the target with the correct answer wins the card. Goal of the game is to win the most cards.

Here is an example of some of the statements on the cards:
    "There are several windows in this room."
    "I am wearing glasses."
    "You are snacking while playing this game."
    "Washington DC is not the capital of the US."
    "The heater is turned on in this room."
    "I am wearing something black that you can see."

The game looks fun and would be a nice and new alternative when people are tired of Spot-It or Bananagrams.
  • I'm tempted to pick up Tell Tale. I'm a big fan of the improvisational storytelling games.
  • edited February 2012
    Blue Orange and their love for games that come in small round canisters, it's quite brilliant really because it's compact and easy to carry around.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm going to buy Trigger today. It sounds like fun! Lol, I can hear Scott groaning already. Soon a game evening will consist of multiple warm up games and no main game :)
  • I played A Fistful of Penguins this weekend. It takes a bit too much learning to be a typical warm-up game, and it's mostly about the math. But the bits were cute, as were some of the scoring rules (for example, if you have a lion and a camel, you can't score any points for the camel as surely the lion would eat it).
  • I can hear Scott groaning already.
    Scott is in a state of perpetual groaning. There is no point in time Scott is not groaning. When he does not groan aloud, he groans within his head. It is just another symptom of a new mental disease many have started to call Unimpression. Please raise Unimpression awareness so that we can help people like Scott.
  • I'm a huge fan of Tichu. Great quick warmup game we often play while waiting for everyone to get there.
  • On Saturday we did a bunch of Quick and Play games at the Board Game Night.

- Mage Stones: It has to be good since it is officially licensed by Dragonlance right? It is not.

- 7 Dragons - Card game with strategic maneuvers where you need to connect 7 dragons of your color, has a lot of interesting play mechanics. Not bad and I would have won if the other guy was paying attention...

- DragonFist - An Auction game where the first to 3 points wins, I crushed them in this one since I was apparently the only one paying attention to the amount each person was bidding. Would consider getting for personal use.

- Once Upon a Time - A story telling game that with the right group of people would play in the vein as a verbal joust in Burning Wheel. Lots of fun with this one and I crushed them since I knew how to make a fantasy story on the fly quickly.
  • I'm a huge fan of Tichu. Great quick warmup game we often play while waiting for everyone to get there.
    I have been knocking a lot of games out of my "highly rated but never played" list recently, and as a result, Tichu is crawling up to the top. Maybe I'll look into the app version and see if it's any good.

I also had some casual gaming going on this Saturday. Played Villa Paletti which is always fun, Spot It, and Get Bit. (we played Sunrise City as our "meaty" game but I'll save that for the board game thread).

This was the first time my group tried Get Bit, and it was a generally fun 10-minute warmup game. It's a very distilled version of Grimoire. You get a hand of 5 cards, numbered 1 to 5, and do a simultaneous reveal of 1 card. The card numbers set the order in which you will jump to the front (everyone has a figurine, and all of them are arranged in a line).

After all moves, a shark shows up and bites a limb off the figure in the rear. That player then gets flung to the front of the line and gets to pick up his discard pile. If you tied during the reveal, you don't get to move at all, so being able to see what everyone else has discarded is an advantage, and keeps the leader from getting too far ahead. Once you lose all 4 limbs, you are dead.

It's a very casual game and the components help make it fun. The little figures remind me of Stikfas and you can actually rip the limbs off of them. The shark is an obvious knock-off of the old LEGO shark.

• edited February 2012
    I'm a huge fan of Tichu. Great quick warmup game we often play while waiting for everyone to get there.
    I have been knocking a lot of games out of my "highly rated but never played" list recently, and as a result, Tichu is crawling up to the top. Maybe I'll look into the app version and see if it's any good.
    Tichu is pretty addicting. You can play for free on BSW (but dont play on there unless you know what you're doing or you will get yelled at in german and then kicked). I also have the iOS app, wich is very well made though the ai makes questionable moves.

The great thing about Tichu is that you can play with a normal 52 card deck so you dont need to buy anything. The 4 special cards can be replaced with jokers or other random cards.

Post edited by iruul on
  • Quick play game that can be casual: Battle for Hill 218.
  • When I'm among the uber German gamers, I tend to consider games like Carcassonne, Tikal, or Zooloretto to be the quick-play, casual warmups before the main event.
  • edited February 2012
    I tend to enjoy a cracking game of Caylus as a warm-up before my three neckbearded wargaming grognard friends and I get a riveting game of Advanced Squad Leader going.

We refer to ourselves as the Tyche Society, and you must wear a tweed coat to participate. No exceptions.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2012
    By uber German gamers, this also includes people who help set up and tear down the game.
    ☆〜(ゝ。∂)
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited February 2012
    I ended up getting a copy of Martian Dice. I thought it was okay, definitely more paced. I'm just partial to Zombie Dice given that there are a lot more edge-of-your-seat moments in my opinion.

That being said I finally got around to playing Coloretto a couple weekends ago (I've had it for almost a year without playing it). It's fairly fun but just a little too shallow for my tastes. Maybe the problem was that I was only playing with three people so it seemed really easy to just fuck over everyone else while keeping my hand solid.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited February 2012
    Woo, just got my copy of Bananagrams. Are there any house rules I should use? aka Double Bomb in Spot It is clearly the awesome, yet only the single hand variant is listed in the rules...

Just play Bananagrams exactly as per the rules?
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • edited February 2012
    Woo, just got my copy of Bananagrams. Are there any house rules I should use? aka Double Bomb in Spot It is clearly the awesome, yet only the single hand variant is listed in the rules...

Just play Bananagrams exactly as per the rules?
    Scott always wants to play the "no 2-letter words" mode. We always tell him to shove it.

EDIT: However, if you want to try something awesome, don't use a dictionary; instead, pick a novel and say that all words from that novel - including proper nouns - are fair game. Nothing else.

For fun, start with The Darkness that Comes Before.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Scott always wants to play the "no 2-letter words" mode. We always tell him to shove it.
    ...and then promptly kick his ass using no 2-letter words, just to prove a point.

• "No two-letter words" is actually an official variant for the double banana.
  • edited February 2012
    2 letter word ban.. nice.

I like the idea of "themes". Maybe Winner of a round can declare all proper nouns from a theme or "thing" as legal for that round.

i.e Any proper noun from MTG, Countries, People names, brand names, trademarks, companies.. etc. Google, Facebook... Shivan Dragon. Scott, Rym.

Theme it up each round.

Alternatively, Bans. No foods allowed. No vehicles. No animals.

Edit: Lol, RTFM... Like I said, I only got it today. The rules actually suggest some of the above...
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • Tap Titans is a fun little "check in" game like Tiny Tower or Pocket Frogs. It's the RPG version of that. I like seeing my little party take down these giant monsters.
  • edited February 2015
    Gasp... casual games...

Anyways, I also agree that Fluxx is a decent filler, and I've seen people enjoy Dixit as well.
    Post edited by Hethalos on