This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Business Cards

edited October 2011 in Everything Else
I get handed enough business cards these days that I probably need to start having them too. Any tips? Any other information I might want to consider including on there other than name/number/email/website? What about design? Anything to keep in mind? I know readability is important, but what else? And finally, should I bother shoehorning some sort of "job title" onto my card despite the fact that I'm wearing so many different hats?

Comments

• All you need to know, right there. It still applies.
  • edited October 2011
    All you need to know, right here. It still applies.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • edited October 2011
    I get handed enough business cards these days that I probably need to start having them too. Any tips? Any other information I might want to consider including on there other than name/number/email/website? What about design? Anything to keep in mind? I know readability is important, but what else? And finally, should I bother shoehorning some sort of "job title" onto my card despite the fact that I'm wearing so many different hats?
    Whatever you do, don't let this forum give you ideas for what should be on your card. I've still got some cards that say "Geek, ladykiller, made of awesome" on them. Otherwise perfectly awesome cards made unprofessional by one line of words.

Such a fool, was I.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited October 2011
    Such a fool, was I.
    * Nine cackles.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • I'm CEO, bitch
  • We get custom raised printing business cards. Sharp. Professional. I'll take a picture.
  • Don't cross the streams. Keep your professional life away from your personal life.
  • Design-wise, it really depends on what you're aiming for. What are you selling? What do you need business cards for?
  • I'm not selling anything, it's more about being able to more easily hand someone my contact information. Last night I got offered the opportunity to possibly do some sound and/or booking work for a local concert production company, after having helped them out at an event last weekend. Music industry people like the schmoozin', and it's already not uncommon that I get handed a card as I'm talking with someone as it is, so it would be nice to have something to hand back to them in exchange.

Luke, I'd be interested to hear if you had any pointers, since you're the professional entertainer around here and all.
  • I know there are business card scanner apps. I haven't really looked into it, but you would think there would be an app to send someone your business card info via phone.
  • I get handed enough business cards these days that I probably need to start having them too. Any tips? Any other information I might want to consider including on there other than name/number/email/website? What about design? Anything to keep in mind? I know readability is important, but what else? And finally, should I bother shoehorning some sort of "job title" onto my card despite the fact that I'm wearing so many different hats?
    Determine what the GOAL of your business card is. Tailor the content to best achieve the goal. Period.

If my goal is to simply give someone my contact information because I want to establish a relationship, I take THEIR information and send them an email. It is a much better way to start a dialogue, and they are less likely to lose it.

If my goal is to identify the source of goods I am selling, I include a business card with the business name, URL, and a short description of what the shop sells.

If your goal is just to give someone your contact info because they asked for it, then just get standard cards printed up with your name, the contact info you feel comfortable giving out to anyone, and a short line that describes what you do. Keep in mind these card may last you for awhile, so make sure it's info that isn't going to change for awhile. Don't mix your fields - if you want to have cards for several different unrelated skillsets, get different cards. Alternatively, leave a blank area on the card to write notes so the person who took your card can remember why they give a damn who you are. (This option is more efficient but less professional.)

If you want to be able to write on the card, get a card that is made of something you can write on. My shop cards are UV coated, so you can't write on them well. (I use mailing labels on them if I want to add info like discount codes for return customers.)
  • Every time someone hands me a business card, I take a photo of it with my iPhone and hand it back. That way I have the info forever, I have the time and date I met that person, and can easily look up the location too. Make sure the text on your card is big, chunky, and has high contrast.

I don't have a business card. I just don't do much networking for employment in real life.

But what I do have are A5 postcards. I used to have lots of info on them, with phone numbers, email, websites, description, tag line, etc, etc. Then I decided to make a new design and strip out everything that isn't needed. Which phone number of Pola or me should I put on? Which email address? We performed at festivals, gala shows, cruise ships, etc... which venue should put first? The border might not be clear, but here is the card I made:

Our name, the name of our show, and a website address. If they want more info they can go to the website. The website has a similar look.

First I was unsure if this was a good idea, but EVERY time we handed out the card we got a compliment on how cool it looked. As an artistic show, the card itself was kind of an artistic statement.

If someone wanted an autograph we had plenty of space, and if we wanted to write phone numbers or email addresses, we could. Whatever you do, make sure you have plenty of white space on the card for people to make notes. Black cards, or plastic cards where you can't write with a biro, are a killer.

I wanted a card for my solo show too, so I took the same ideas and made this (not good quality jpg):

So that's it. Plenty of space, and it can work as a souvenir of my show, to sign for autographs, to write more info, etc. If people want more, they can go to the website.
  • I like your hat, sir.
    You ALMOST look like a young Bill Nye, if Bill Nye were a stage performer.
  • You ALMOST look like a young Bill Nye, if Bill Nye were a stage performer.
    Sometimes Bill Nye does perform on stage. But he doesn't juggle.
  • Bill Nye was a comedian before he got his show. And an aerospace engineer.
  • I've been considering getting business cards that say "Gregory Teig von Hoffman -- Bernardeli Insurance Agent" for giving out at cons. I won't for quite some time for a few reasons, but I like the idea.
  • http://us.moo.com/
    Sidenote: You can get free Moo business cards by signing up for About.me (a free service).
  • You don't even have to sign up to about.me, I just ordered a free batch.
  • Of 50? You get 50 with the About.me version, not the 10 they ship you as a sample.
  • Of 50? You get 50 with the About.me version, not the 10 they ship you as a sample.
    I don't want them to say About.me on them, though. Is that doable?
    I don't want them to say About.me on them, though. Is that doable?
    Probably. I have mine link to my About.me profile with a QR code that links to it, but I'm reasonably sure those are removable.
  • edited October 2011
    http://us.moo.com/
    This. I have two sets of cards. Business cards with my address, phone, email, and website (which will have the same design as the card, eventually), and calling cards. The calling cards just say "Keats," with phone and email (next version will just have personal website/blog url). The back of the calling cards have my own photography on them, and they're a great conversation starter.

EDIT: What are your guys' opinions on using QR codes on business cards? I like the idea of it in theory, but every design I've seen looks pretty awful.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I used to have a QR code on my resume, but I've since removed it in lieu of more resume content, as nobody seemed to care about or understand the QR code (My current employer specifically recommended during my interview that I remove it). If you're gonna put it on your business card, put it on the back, for sure, so it can be large enough to work. And make sure it either leads to a mobile site or contains hard-coded contact information, like your name, phone number, email address, etc.

I'm kinda down on QR codes in general now, possibly because RIT has decided that QR codes will become the sole means of communication with students.
  • RIT has decided that QR codes will become the sole means of communication with students.
    Unless they provide means of using the QR codes (a mobile device with photo and web capabilities) then that's fucking bullshit. QR codes are the quick way to direct people towards information that goes with what the QR code goes with. Just hanging up a QR code is stupid.
  • that's fucking bullshit
    YEP. Especially when, with a sign as large as that one, you could just as easily print out the revised bus schedule.
  • edited October 2011
    You could. But I think the reason for it being so big is so people already on the bus can snap a picture and still have it work. Nothing wrong with QR codes. They are just completely useless without context, and should only be used as a quick way to direct people to a copy of what it's attached to.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • But I think the reason for it being so big is so people already on the bus can snap a picture and still have it work.
    That's not really feasible given where the signs are in relation to where the bus stops. Some of them are perpendicular and aren't even visible from the road.
  • That's not really feasible given where the signs are in relation to where the bus stops. Some of them are perpendicular and aren't even visible from the road.
    Then they are stupid.