This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NaNoWriMo 2011

edited November 2011 in Everything Else
It's that time of year again! Time to grow mustaches. And write novels.

I'll not start writing until next week, but I then have the rest of the month away on a work trip. I'll be sailing back and forth across the Pacific, which means many sea days. This will be my fourth NaNoWriMo attempt. I "won" in 2008, wrote most of a novel in 2009 (and finished it in December), and wrote most of a novel in 2010 (and still didn't finish it).

Story idea choices:

1. Write a novel based on a dream I had a few weeks ago. I haven't thought too much about it, but it has really good start and a really good ending. Hopefully I'll be able to link the two parts together. It's about a thought experiment inside a virtual reality world, and it turns out the thought experiment might not be just thought-based. I'm not sure if this story will reach 50,000 words, but even if not I'll have a completed story.

2. Do a whole new version The Monster Story. This would be the third time I've written this novel from scratch, and with each new writing I find more and more things to add.

3. Write the next 50,000 words in my Arc of Life fantasy novel. This got a lot of good feedback from the people who have read what I've written so far. I'd rather start a new project, but I currently have four or five "works in progress" that aren't progressing very quickly (or at all) due to having a girlfriend and spend creative energy on other projects.

Who else is signing up this year?

theknoxinator I'm looking at you

Comments

• I'm a little conflicted about doing it this year. Yeah, I still really want to, cause it's a fun endeavor (and I did make it a goal/resolution). But when I made that goal, I had no idea that I'd be in a serious relationship, and in an active band. Between those two things, I don't know if I'll be able to make enough time to write.

I'll mull over it today and make a decision by tomorrow.
  • I have a friend who is really gung-ho about NaNoWriMo - apparently he's aiming for 100,000 (although admits he probably can't reach that). Definitely will be a good asset when I get slacky.

Meanwhile I have another friend who is gung-ho about game design and is trying to turn this month into a "slow jam" between him and some other designers. Now he's trying to pull me into this jam.

I may actually compromise between the sides and write a story with the intention of turning it into a game later on. I'd love to reach 50,000 words with a focus on setting/character appearances, action mechanics, and other factors that could be polymorphed into a game. Of course, it also means I have to ditch my idea for a storyline (which was essentially a memoir of my college life disguised as a fantasy novel - replace coding with magic, internships with shadowy guilds, etc.) ...but that may be for the best.

The only annoying thing is it's day-of and I don't even have an idea yet >_< Sounds like this will be just like all the other years where I shittalked for two days and nothing emerged...
  • I intend to do it this year, although not sure how to go about it. Mainly because I want to write a fanfiction... yeah >_>. Not sure if that's allowed because its not completely "original." No, its not a story about me in a fantasy love world with Link or something like that... instead its something I think could turn out really well.

Basically I'm not sure if I should create an account and upload my story or however it works, or just write on my own to say I did it.
  • I would like to try writing some fiction after a long time, but there is no way that I could just pull 50,000 words out of my ass in one month. Maybe if you people keep talking about this, I might get around writing something small.
  • I intend to do it this year, although not sure how to go about it. Mainly because I want to write a fanfiction... yeah >_>. Not sure if that's allowed because its not completely "original." No, its not a story about me in a fantasy love world with Link or something like that... instead its something I think could turn out really well.

Basically I'm not sure if I should create an account and upload my story or however it works, or just write on my own to say I did it.
    As far as I know, the only rule is that you have to start and end in November. It shouldn't matter what the material is.
  • I've meant to do NaNoWriMo for the past 2 years, only to end up missing the date. Going to give it an honest shot this year and try to juggle it with college work and Battlefield 3.

Today I plan to begin work on my project, a Berserk-esque dark fantasy novel I've been writing histories/timelines and drawing maps for over the past month or so. My goal is 50,000 words. I have the plot roughly outlined beginning to end, and if I end up short of the goal I have some flashback material to pad it out a bit.

Over the summer I managed 65,000 words of the first book of an unrelated fantasy series before shelving it due to concerns about pacing and a desire to rework the magic system. I plan to drastically rewrite and finish that as well sometime in the near future.
  • Good luck you crazy bastards. Go break a nail (you're not on stage, so breaking legs is useless).
  • I've meant to do NaNoWriMo for the past 2 years, only to end up missing the date. Going to give it an honest shot this year and try to juggle it with college work and Battlefield 3.
    Good luck! Just remember, when you are old and grey, there will be many others who once spent their youth playing video games, but very few people who can say they've completed a novel (no matter how short). College work? Well, that's probably as useful in the long run as video games.
  • Woah - feels good man.

I just got through my first 1,800 words much quicker than expected (Took me about 2 hours). I had an idea - I had an idea of how to turn it into a game - and I started writing.

The story is straight up fantasy taking place in a Norse, Valhalla-like world (I'm still not 100% sure how much I'll follow Norse mythology, making things up is too much fun). In order to train for Ragnarok, the immortals play an arena like sport, where small teams fight to the death in 10v10 wars. The sport itself is sort of like DotA - three forks, RPS like fights, and totems that can be destroyed. The bases can only resurrect 10 times, so the teams must kill their opponents enough, or destroy the life giving totem.

The main character is Tjev, an immortal who died as a child. Those who showed valiance at such a young age become commanders, as the gods trust the children to be more loyal than the soldiers they command. I've also got a bloodthirsty best friend, and Elly, a Valkyrie whose job is to collect dismembered limbs from the battlefield. What will happen? No clue, I don't have the vaguest basis of a story just yet, but I know I'll be daydreaming a lot during work tomorrow!
  • So my girlfriend and I have both decided to do it. I don't know if she'll have the gumption to pull it off, but I'm going to give it a good try. I'm thinking that I'll be using a super old idea from high school, inspired in part by my first watching of Akira, with some modifications.

I'll have more details when I have time to post.
  • I have one entire page written. Wooo.

I have written out a lot of notes though at least. I'm hoping to get the ball rolling better once I get past the initial "here's the introduction to my story and whats going on here, hopefully its interesting enough so you keep reading until the good stuff can finally start happening" phase. Bleh.
  • I've not started yet, except for the title. "Get that rat off my face!" I'll get started for real next week.
  • So, haven't written anything in the first six days of the month. Going to be out of town for at least four days this month. Have band practice for three days. Other Thanksgiving stuff will take away another two days. So, can I write a whole novel in only half the time allotted?

I'm thinking no. Which is too bad because I had a weird dream a couple nights ago that I think could make for a cool story. It would be one thing if I had enough long days to work on it, but all those days where I'm busy are on the weekend, so that just leaves a couple hours each weeknight to write 3000-4000 words each.

Hopefully next year I'll have more time.
  • 1464 words. A fair start to a pretty complex story idea.
  • There is a big effort afoot to promote NaGa DeMon, which aside from being a hilarious name, is national game design month, at the same time as NaNoWriMo. This has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of though, as the two tasks are very dissimilar. The long pole in the tent for novel writing is getting that first draft on paper. For game design, it's an exhaustive playtesting process.

Long story short: the artificial one-month push is probably going to push a lot of amateur game designers to blow past natural points in their design process where they should stop to do playtesting. The result will be advanced prototypes seeing testing for the first time, with a sense to rush them to market because they have the look of a fully developed game.
  • NaGa DeMon sounds interesting, since I am an aspiring Game Designer, but it would only work if they specifically focused on the design. Doing something like getting a small prototype of a game idea out in a month is doable...Trying to have people release a full game at the end of the month is ridiculous.

If NaGa Demon's plan was to have each person come up with an interesting gameplay concept, then spend a month prototyping said gameplay concept, it would work and be awesome, and I'd be totally down for it.
  • I did a late NaNoWriMo thingy in January. It took me a week longer than it ought to, but to be fair it was my first novel. I was considering turning my current fanfiction project into a November novel, but I've decided against it as I'd prefer a serial structure.
  • A guy who does Norse poetry in Old Icelandic is doing something he calls NaPoWriMo - write a poem every day for the month of November.

http://askaldsjourney.blogspot.com/
  • I've got a little under 3000 words, woo.

Man writing is hard. ._.;
  • I wish it was NaWriMo instead of NaNoWriMo. I can write, but I have no ability to write fiction or stories.
  • Nonsense Scott. Like all things, it's just practice. I used to be garbage at non-worldbuilding writing, so I stepped up and practiced. If you want to be good at something, just put the work in.
  • There's only so many hours in a day, so I can't fault someone for playing to their natural strengths.
  • I wish it was NaWriMo instead of NaNoWriMo. I can write, but I have no ability to write fiction or stories.
    So write something based on real life, but skewed after you write it just enough that you're not going to get your bollocks sued off. You're a creative and clever dude, after all, I'm pretty confident you can yank something out of the air.
  • I'm up to 21,713 words. We're past half way, and I'm behind. I don't mind though, because I don't plan on this "novel" being 50,000 words. I'll probably end the story at about 30,000 to 35,000 words. I've written novels before, so the point of this one was to complete a story for release within a month, not hit a word count.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/lukeburrage/novels/get-that-rat-off-my-face

Also, by crossing the international date line I lost a day! 29 days to write the novel. And, of course, I didn't start until about the 10th anyway. :)
  • "Get that rat off my face!" - first draft of my NaNoWriMo novella completed. One day late and, at 31,500 words, 18,500 words short.
  • I never got past 4000 words. Thanks Skyrim!