This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Would the M-Audio Fast Track sound better than a Behringer mixer?

edited November 2011 in Everything Else
I'm looking on getting the M-Audio Fast Track because a friend had recommended it to me. I currently have a Behringer Xenyx 502 and was wondering if my source would sound any different through it.

Do any of you have experience with the Fast Track and/or the Behringer Xenyx mixer?

Comments

• The M-Audio box is what we would call an audio interface, while your Behringer Xenyx is a mixer. The difference is that an audio interface is basically an external sound card and "interfaces" with your computer and recording software via USB or Firewire, while a mixer simply outputs a "mix" of the signals that are put into it. Which one is better for you really depends on what you're doing, the quality of your equipment, and the build of your computer. Tell me, what exactly is it that you record?

I can say that, while I have never used the Fast Track, I have tons of experience with other M-Audio interfaces and can say that they are quality, albeit expensive. I'd probably recommend either a different interface or saving up for a used M-box if you were to go that route, though.
  • I've found a used Fast Track online for a decent price. I'm just curious because my friend's recordings seem to have a sound signature that's pretty bold. My Xenyx just sounds too thin, but I wouldn't know unless I try these devices in person and that's why I'm asking you guys who probably have a bit more experience than I do.
  • edited November 2011
    My gut says that the "boldness" of his sound probably comes a lot more from his use of compression and EQ than it does the interface itself. The "thin" sound you're getting from your mixer might be able to be fattened up with the proper signal processing. But it might also be that your sound card isn't very good, which is why I asked you to give me a little bit more detail. There really are a zillion factors to consider when you're not getting the sound you want. So, what exactly are you recording?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2011
    Of course. I'm talking about the raw, unmodified recording. It's not his microphone either and I can distinguish the difference from his voice as well. It's more of the sound signature from the preamps most likely, or it may just be different recording conditions or the audio interface.

I'm recording vocals. I currently have a Behringer Xenyx 502 mixer, running through a UCA202 USB interface.
    Post edited by Shadowdare on