This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ever Wanted to be an Astronaut?

Comments

• I don't have the flight time.
  • You can't be an astronaut without naturally perfect vision, right?
  • You can't be an astronaut without naturally perfect vision, right?
    Check.
  • You can't be an (NASA) astronaut without being American, right?

• Way to not read the job posting, guys:
    3. Ability to pass the NASA long-duration space flight physical, which includes the following specific requirements:

Distant and near visual acuity: Must be correctable to 20/20, each eye

The refractive surgical procedures of the eye, PRK and LASIK, are allowed, providing at least 1 year has passed since the date of the procedure with no permanent adverse after effects. For those applicants under final consideration, an operative report on the surgical procedure will be requested.

Blood pressure not to exceed 140/90 measured in a sitting position

Standing height between 62 and 75 inches.
    And the flight time requirement is an "or" as well. It's either a degree and 3 years of experience in that field OR 1,000 hours of time flying a jet.
  • The flight time is OR???

I might qualify, but I worry about the blood pressure. Also, I don't think computer science counts. I think they want other science degrees.
  • If NASA's HR department is anything like a certain other government agency I know of, you pretty just just copy/paste the requirements into your resume and submit it, you'll get a call for an interview.

But if you're actually qualified and submit a resume with various backgrounds that apply to all those requirements but don't word it correctly, you'll get a denial email.

I'm not kidding.
  • My eye sight can be corrected, though I doubt my neck problems can be. Those things aside, I'm too tall anyway ^_~
  • The problem is that by the time you've finished training, their funding will have gone completely dry.
  • The flight time is OR???
    Well, yeah, of course. Not everybody gets to pilot the shuttle, dude, that's a specific job role.

• I'm not kidding.
    She's not.