This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Microsoft out-Sonys Sony

edited December 2011 in Video Games
Remember how the new PS3 terms of service said you can't participate in a class action suit against Sony but did allow you to opt out by sending a letter to Sony legal?

Apparently, Microsoft's new Xbox-360 TOS follows the same principals, only there is no way to opt out.

Maybe I should finally get around to building a proper gaming PC...

Comments

• I have a feeling things that's not actually legal. Like you can't sign a contract to put yourself into slavery.
  • You still have the right to arbitration. It's not the worst deal.
  • I don't really understand what the point of this is. If something terrible happens with the 360 instead of one lawsuit being brought against them by X million people, now they have to deal with X million lawsuits from X million people. Which seems a whole lot more expensive for them to deal with, let alone that it would take forever to go through the courts, which would likely cost even more money because of all of the delays.
  • I don't really understand what the point of this is. If something terrible happens with the 360 instead of one lawsuit being brought against them by X million people, now they have to deal with X million lawsuits from X million people. Which seems a whole lot more expensive for them to deal with, let alone that it would take forever to go through the courts, which would likely cost even more money because of all of the delays.
    None of those people can afford to sue them.

Legal action is effectively out of the grasp of the majority of people in the world. The luxury of a real lawyer fighting for your case in a real court is just that: a luxury.
  • You still have the right to arbitration. It's not the worst deal.
    That was effectively the same deal Sony offered as well. The thing is, often the way to really stick it to a company that screws up royally is via class action as, like Rym said, it's the only way to get enough people who otherwise can't afford legal representation to band together to make sure said company pays for its screw ups.
  • Well if we all file a complaint that we are displeased with our lack of ability to file a class action law suit. >_>
  • I think this nonsense is really the result of on-staff lawyers trying to justify their time. That's why, most of the time, when people make a stink about these sort of changes, the company usually backs off.
  • why are you giving Microsoft or Sony your personal information in the first place
  • why are you giving Microsoft or Sony your personal information in the first place
    To buy stuff online, I would assume.
    With out it, we can't play any games on their online services.