This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

One small question

edited September 2006 in Role Playing Games
Which was the first D&D game world? A friend of mine said it was Forgotten Realms, but I figured you guys would know best.

Comments

• Thanks lots.

Which one's your favorite, or which world do you play the most in?
  • Ebberon currently, but before that Forgotten Realms.
  • edited September 2006
    Only counting D&D, the one I've played in most would be my friend's home-brewed world. Counting all RPGs, probably the Shadowrun universe.

As for favorite, I think the Exalted setting is really nifty.
    Post edited by Symmetry on
  • My favorite campaign's in D&D were a modified Forgotten Realms game and a Dark Sun game I ran.

I really enjoyed the ideas behind the Shadow Run universe except for the random elves and trolls. I would love to see a game run in a pure cyber-punk universe; think William Gibson/Neuromancer.
  • Cyber-punk would be awesome to play. What good cyber-punk games are there, other than d20 modern?
  • Thanks lots.

Which one's your favorite, or which world do you play the most in?
    The cheap answer is Planescape (cheap because it's kind of a metasetting). I also have a soft spot for Dark Sun. Other than that, I've run games in a number of homebrew worlds into which I've invested wildly varying levels of detail.
  • Cyber-punk would be awesome to play. What good cyber-punk games are there, other than d20 modern?
    I believe there is an RPG named "Cyberpunk".
  • Well Shadow Run is basically the Cyber-punk world Gibson created with some random elves and magic. I wanted to play a modified Shadow Run without the magical elements; but the group of friends I played with disbanded before the campaign started.
  • There's a new edition of Cyberpunk out now. I can't attest to its quality, though, as I'm a ShadowRun fan through and through.

I'm currently working on a fantasy setting for my group. For the first time I'm not actually railing against Tolkien, but instead cherry-picking all the best bits, and fucking with some of the core elements and assumptions. In this world, the Elves and Orcs were one race only a matter of centuries ago (they're not even called Orcs yet), and there is little or no physical difference between them. Think Vulcans and Romulans in Trek. Also, the Dwarves have gone missing without explanation. And Humans are little more than nomadic savages.

The player characters are mostly Dark Elves (Burning Wheel-style, not the literally dark D&D guys), with one person playing the first ever Human mage. I can't wait for the game to start.
  • I've played the majority of my D&D/AD&D/3rd Ed in Forgotten Realms. While I'm a little hazy on the details now that it's been so long, there was a time when my knowledge of the social, political, and geographical landscapes of the setting rivaled my knowledge of the real world's.
  • edited September 2006
    Blackmoor came right after Greyhawk in publication order.

As to what came before that in actual private home game use is up to debate.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Cyberpunk was put out by R. Talsorian Games in the late 80's. I still have the original game and a few supplements.

The supplements were very cool as they were designed to look (and read) like magazines...