This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Game Recommendations - What should I play next?

edited December 2011 in Video Games
I didn't see one like this so I figured I'd create one. It's a place we can recommend games to each other.

For starters, I'm looking for a nicely long-term 4X space game to play. Anyone have any ideas? I'm considering Galactic Civilizations 2. I've already played the shit out of MoO 2.

Comments

• If you are looking for 4X I've heard good things about Sins of a Solar Empire.
  • The Sword of the Stars 1.
  • Word. I think I've messed around with that one before but will give it another shot.
    Having never heard of this game before, what's the difference between 1 and 2?
    Having never heard of this game before, what's the difference between 1 and 2?
    Second one is buggy and broken to unplayablity. Or at least it was that when it launched a while back.

• Sins of a Solar Empire is a good RTS and its 4x elements are probably stronger with the expansions.
    I've also heard good things about The Sword of the Stars 1.
    If you don't mind iPhone/iPad type games Ascendancy was recently re-released for them.
    If you want more of a focus on space and trading from a different perspective I'd suggest the X3 series.
  • SOTS2 is brokens. SOTS1 is awesomes.
  • For the uninitiated, what does 4X mean?
  • Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate. They're free-world empire building games, where you lead one of many races or groups of people and attempt to do those four things in an attempt to reach your goal.
  • 4x, think Civilization. The Total War games and even Europa Universalis fit a loose definition of 4x. Generally, as WUB said, large scale strategy games.
  • edited December 2011
    Distant Worlds is worth a look. It automates many of the tedious aspects of 4x games by having the player control not much more than the military and the direction of research, while the computer controls the civilian economy (trade, migration, etc). It makes for a very detailed game world where all kinds of complex interactions occur, while giving the player the chance to concentrate on the fun stuff.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • I forgot that I had Star Ruler on Steam, so I gave that a shot for a little bit. Mucho fun.
  • I have Sins of a Solar Empire and SOTS and I would love to play them with peoples.
  • I have Sins of a Solar Empire and SOTS and I would love to play them with peoples.
    I think I am ready to get into this. ;^)
    I think I am ready to get into this. ;^)
    I want to, but I would have to play demos and learn them before I committed. Also, I have too much other stuff already going on.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm down for SOTS anytime. They also have some cool scenarios that people can play. There is a particular one called End of Flesh where everyone plays against a rogue AI trying to kill all lifeforms. You start out with all the planets colonized so you get straight to the action.

SOTS is also cool in that certain empires are limited in tech capabilities, but also everytime you play your starting techs and the techs available are randomized. There is no set "build" for research.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Oh that's cool Andrew, if I can tear myself away from Skyrim maybe I'll try and learn SOTS. (I have it on Impluse) Wish I would have waited for it cheap on Steam... (as with GalcivII and Sins of a Solar Empire).
  • Skyrim is the first game in many years to thoroughly unseat CounterStrike in steam for total concurrent players for any meaningful length of time. I am impressed.
  • Free space 2 is good shit. Just get all the graphics mods to make it all the more rewarding when those big ass-ships blow up. And also get the mod which adds the free space 1 missions.
  • FreeSpace(2) isn't a 4X game.
  • FreeSpace(2) isn't a 4X game.
    This is not a 4X thread.

• edited December 2011
    For starters, I'm looking for a nicely long-term 4X space game to play. Anyone have any ideas?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • It's a place we can recommend games to each other.
  • I don't care what you guys like, I recommend Dirt 3.
  • SWTOR is about a week away. Just got my guild server, which will be Anchorhead.
  • If you want quick multiplayer space conquest like MoO I suggest finding a copy of Spaceward Ho!

It's old (win95) but has network game play and plays fast.
  • If you want quick multiplayer space conquest like MoO I suggest finding a copy of Spaceward Ho!

I remember that being a good one, but it's mad old.
  • It is quite old. It is also part of the 4x genre.

When you don't want to deal with the complexity of MoO and better games SH! Is a great alternative.

I remember that being a good one, but it's mad old.
    It's also on Mac (actually, it was originally on Mac, from what I recall), though you may need to the Mac version on some sort of emulator as it was a Mac OS X 7,8,9 app for PowerPC and newer Macs don't run that old stuff.

I have fond memories of this game mostly because I was part of a group that made a knock-off of it for a CS final project back in college. We used the Mac version as our reference.