This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

We are number 2! We are... um... I live in number 2?

edited January 2012 in Everything Else
The NYT names Helsinki the number two travel destination for 2012.

Welcome! You can sleep on our couch*. Or at least have us as your native guides.

*Pending spousal approval, non-smelliness, non-crazyiness.

Comments

• Hey, I'm pretty close to Finland and meet the two criteria there that don't involve your wife's approval!
  • Warning! Helsinki is a very nice city, but there is very little to see and do there compared to other Baltic cities and European capitals.

To be honest, I don't think much of that list as a practical guide for traveling. They list Space as a destination? How helpful is that?
  • edited January 2012
    Warning! Helsinki is a very nice city, but there is very little to see and do there compared to other Baltic cities and European capitals.
    I'll do my best to disabuse you of that notion the next time you come through. We have a low population density wich means that most of the interesting stuff is also spread out and not easily found. As for quantitatively having less stuff to see than other bigger cities... well duh! That's like saying Berlin is nice and all, but there's little to see compared to NYC or Tokyo.

Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • To be honest, I don't think much of that list as a practical guide for traveling. They list Space as a destination? How helpful is that?
    I can think of one thing that wants to be in space...

• But why does a list of travel destinations for 2012 include "space" when it also says "...no launch date has been confirmed (a 2012 date was pushed back to 2013)"?

I guess it's a list for people with too much money, and is picking out cool places that they might not have visited yet, and then show off to their rich friends. Helsinki fits that bill. For people who aren't going on international golfing trips or stay in the newest Waldorf Astoria, other lists might be more helpful.
  • I think the bigger problem is that space is listed beneath 19 other cities. If your travel destinations list includes space, it should really only be two entries: 'space' and 'not space'.
  • I think the bigger problem is that space is listed beneath 19 other cities. If your travel destinations list includes space, it should really only be two entries: 'space' and 'not space'.
    Depends on whether or not you accept a metaversal interpretation of quantum mechanics.
  • No Colombia? BS.
  • Last year’s tragedy means more room for tourists.
    Yeah...

Also, It's got Antarctica, space, and worst of all Birmingham, yet not a single Australian destination? I'm joining Andou in calling bullshit.
  • Last year’s tragedy means more room for tourists.
    Yeah...

Also, It's got Antarctica, space, and worst of all Birmingham, yet not a single Australian destination? I'm joining Andou in calling bullshit.
    Also, Wales is included, but none of Spain is, not even the fucking Balearics.

Bullshit hath been called.
  • I saw that too. Its like the artical is suggesting that there is now more space for tourists. Also there are wost places than Birmingham, its a shit hole yes but it has nothing on places like Port Talbort.
  • I saw that too. Its like the artical is suggesting that there is now more space for tourists. Also there are wost places than Birmingham, its a shit hole yes but it has nothing on places like Port Talbort.
    Point taken. Not been to Port Talbort, admittedly, because unlike Birmingham, it actually seemed like a shithole from a distance.
  • The NYT names Helsinki the number two travel destination for 2012.

Welcome! You can sleep on our couch*. Or at least have us as your native guides.

Smelliness? Don't you guys eat Surströmming?

• When you stand on Swansea bay you raise your left hand as some sort of screen it makes the view a lot better. Having said that Swansea isn't much better. The Gower and Mummbes are fucking beautiful all year round.
  • edited January 2012

I think that's Sweden, not Finland. Unless my constant watching of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern is wrong.
    Post edited by AndouReiya on
  • edited January 2012

I think that's Sweden, not Finland. Unless my constant watching of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern is wrong.

Meh. Same thing.

Post edited by KapitänTim on