This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Canonical announces Ubuntu TV

edited January 2012 in Technology

http://www.ubuntu.com/tv

Looks like Canonical is making Google TV? I really like the sound of this "second-screen" stuff.
"Second-screen experiences are an emerging trend in broadcast television. Link phones or tablets to Ubuntu TV, presenting related content to viewers while they watch. Provide information on movies by the same director, for example, or the reaction on Twitter during live shows - without any distraction from the action.
Post edited by trogdor9 on

Comments

• Looks like Canonical is making Google TV?
    Yeah, looks that way, though I'm cautious of the idea - I mean, look how well the idea turned out before.
  • "Second-screen experiences are an emerging trend in broadcast television. Link phones or tablets to Ubuntu TV, presenting related content to viewers while they watch. Provide information on movies by the same director, for example, or the reaction on Twitter during live shows - without any distraction from the action.
    This is very interesting especially if it was to incorperate the ondemand services offered from many TV channels where it looks at the program you are currently watching and shows similar ones and what may interest you
  • Sort of a boxee/mythtv hybrid?
  • Sort of a boxee/mythtv hybrid?
    Sort of, yeah, but it seems like they want it built in to the TV, if I'm interpreting their website correctly. I imagine you'll be able to download the OS for any desktop, laptop, or home theater PC, though.