This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Intelligent discussion about videojames

edited January 2012 in Video Games
This guy seems to know his shit about games. Here's just a small taste of his videos: (If GTA doesn't interest you, I promise either the Adaptation video or the Mirrors Edge video will do the trick).

I thought you guys, what with your actually caring about the design of games on a non-superficial level, might be interested by this.

Comments

• I subscribe to the Cynical Brit myself, and rym and scott when they decide to post vids on their youtube channel.

Podcast wise, the Bombcast, or the Escapist Podcast, provides intelligent discourse on the subject.

Also, Geeknights whenever they do a game episode.

This guy speaks well and i enjoyed listening. However, why dont more people try to do boardgame reviews on youtube. I could be ignorant of it though.
  • Tom Vasel of the Dice Tower has got that YouTube board game review shit locked up. He's a machine. I'm pretty sure he averaged at least one game review video per day in 2011. Also, Jeremy Salinas does the sexy component reviews in HD, which are super popular.
  • Egoraptor's Sequelitis is one of the smarter dissections of video games I've seen in a long time.
  • Gamasutra and #AltDevBlogADay are both great.

Also, VideoJames is a good name for a band.
  • Giantbomb has already been mentioned, But RebelFM is another good one along a similar line.
  • How has nobody mentioned Extra Credits yet? They're pretty much the poster child of gaming metacommentary, and tackle high level issues of gaming.
  • edited January 2012
    I love extra credits, but I their videos are at least one step removed from academic games research... I'll have to check my links but I had one or two links to some websites that specifically followed the academic research into games rather than the business of games, which is more gamasutra, or the philosophy of game design which seems to often fall in line with extra credits.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • Extra credits is to gaming as TWIG is to technology. If you know nothing to very little about it then it is awesome, but if you do it as a hobby or a job you can't watch it. Because they talk down to their audience and simplify the subject to the point where it is not even close to what happens in the real world.
  • @Coldguy

^Better words for what I was getting at. I didn't want to bash them in any way, and so was dancing around analogies in my head for what they do. I love every episode, but on the other front it is just not easy to hit such a broad audience, with segments of less than ten minutes, with content that is meaningful to an informed expert or a relatively informed armchair designer.
  • MEGAMAN! MEGAMAN!
  • This is one of my favorite videos, and I use it to to introduce people to game design.
  • Tim Rogers is pretty prolific, and this essay on Earthbound is pretty close to a masterpiece of video game analysis: http://www.largeprimenumbers.com/article.php?sid=mother2
  • RetroGaming Roundup is a pretty awesome podcast about older games, arcade machines, and pinball cabinets. It is not a standard podcast setup, which I like, but each podcast is about 6 to 8 hours long so that could be an issue for some.
  • Pretty surprised Play This Thing hasn't been mentioned yet.
    I thought that site died for some reason. Was I wrong?
    Nope. Still updating regularly, sometimes with something very profound to say. If anyone wants a good article to start with, try his discussion of Dorf Fortress.
    Nope. Still updating regularly, sometimes with something very profound to say. If anyone wants a good article to start with, try his discussion of Dorf Fortress.
    You do know that Costik is Greg Costkyan, right? The guy who made Paranoia. Met him for about a minute at Ubercon once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Costikyan
    You do know that Costik is Greg Costkyan, right? The guy who made Paranoia. Met him for about a minute at Ubercon once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Costikyan
    Funny you should mention that - I actually just listened to the Paranoia episode of Geeknights two nights ago (I'm running a game for a friend's RPG group and was scrounging for tips) and you mentioned that. So I actually heard that from you two days ago from two years in the past!

Also, I just found out he designed Pax Britannica. Playing that in a class in high school was one of my most cherished high school memories. Now that's a real mindfuck.
  • Hey Megaman, Megaman!! There is new Sequelitis.
  • A jpg that summarizes the sequelitis.

• I think the game that crystalized my feelings about modern games is Kingdom Hearts 2. I started that game at 8 the night I bought it. By 11, I had finished the tutorial intro level and was playing the actual game.
  • edited March 2012
    Game Design Reviews

A blog in which people review specific mechanics in various games. World design in Mystic Quest vs. Sword of Mana (a remake of the former) for example (mmmm, dat world map made out of screen shots).
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • I've not checked this thread before because of the misspelled title. It didn't build confidence in the level of intelligence within. Can someone fix it so it doesn't any me any more?
  • edited March 2012
    Can someone fix it so it doesn't any me any more?
    Good old Murphy's Law of Correcting Other People's Grammar ;)
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • Intentionally misspelled, Mr. Any-Me-Any.
  • edited March 2012
    Fucking iPhone. I was aiming for "annoy".
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • Why is everyone talking about misspellings? I spelled videojames correctly.
  • Yeah, isn't this thread about The Angry Video Game Nerd?
  • That's Boardjames.