This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Indie videogames

edited January 2012 in Video Games
Indie games are pretty cool. Let's talk about them. I created this thread because it doesn't quite fit into "Games you are currently playing" or "Video game offers." If you can find a better thread for this purpose, feel free to send me to the box, where I will feel shame (and then get free).

Dustforce looks like a pretty cool game. From what I've gathered, it's sort of a more complex Meat Boy sort of game. Has anyone played it?

http://dustforce.com/
Post edited by trogdor9 on

Comments

• Indie games are pretty much all I play these days. The "big" releases seem to interest me less and less.

I'm really looking forward to Fez, which will hopefully finally be released this year. I played the demo at Indiecade, it's pretty wonderful.

Also really can't wait for the home version of Johann Sebastian Joust. The object of the game is to jostle the other players' controllers without getting yours jostled. It's super awesome, but unfortunately only supports Playstation Move controllers at the moment. Good news is that they're trying to adapt it for smartphones.

• Dustforce looks like a pretty cool game. From what I've gathered, it's sort of a more complex Meat Boy sort of game. Has anyone played it?
    I bought Dustforce when it came out and after I got into it I really started liking it.

The thing in that game is that in most levels getting to the end is not hard at all, there are even levels where you cannot die. But Dustforce is a game that doesn't care if you get to the end of the level, if you just get to the end of the level you just see scoreboard of how other people are so much better than you. In Dustforce you need to get keys to unlock levels and to get keys you have to get perfect score in a level in two categories, completion and style. Completion means how much of the levels dirt you cleaned up and to get S-rank you have to clean it all and beat all the enemies. Getting S-rank on style means that you have to keep your combo up, which means that you can't have too big time gap between cleaning two peaces of dirt.

You might just by reading that see how I thought the game first a bit frustrating until I realized important thing in it. There is no need for unnecessary rushing as long as you can keep your combo up you can occasionally slow down and take it easy. Also don't try to copy the replays on the top of the scoreboards those people who have gotten them are mad and crazy.

I'm not sure how to sell the game, but if you like a challenge and if you like the feeling of success ones gets after overcoming a huge challenge then Dustforce is a game for you. And if you are on the fence, I'm pretty sure it will be on some indie bundle soon enough.
  • Indie games are like the workdays between vacations. The vacations are awesome, but the workdays are what fill up most of my life.

I love the big releases, but to me they don't generally provide an incredible amount of replay or lasting value. I loved Deus Ex, and played the hell out of Space Marine, but I've spent nearly a full week of my life in Terraria.

I think it's because indie game developers are all about the game play rather than the big budget voice acting or graphics or whatever. Although there are some games that have insanely creative and fantastic graphics out there, and are indie.

All in all, I love indie developers. They are the banana to my peanut butter and banana sandwich. You may not think you'd like it, but holy hell once you try it you can't live without it.
  • I'm not sure how to sell the game, but if you like a challenge and if you like the feeling of success ones gets after overcoming a huge challenge then Dustforce is a game for you. And if you are on the fence, I'm pretty sure it will be on some indie bundle soon enough.
    I'll definitely be buying this game eventually. My gaming queue is long enough right now, so I'll probably wait until it's cheaper.
  • I'm not sure how to sell the game, but if you like a challenge and if you like the feeling of success ones gets after overcoming a huge challenge then Dustforce is a game for you. And if you are on the fence, I'm pretty sure it will be on some indie bundle soon enough.
    I'll definitely be buying this game eventually. My gaming queue is long enough right now, so I'll probably wait until it's cheaper.
    I bought it just to try it out and test it myself, didn't mean it to become the computer game I'm currently playing. Well maybe I'll hit a wall at some point. I'm currently double-S;ing couple levels every time I play, but I'm pretty sure I will hit a wall at some point and then the interest towards the game will probably go down.

• In Super Meat Boy I hit the wall on the very last Light World level before the boss. I ended up coming back to the game in a month or two and made one last push and finally beat the light world, but I've pretty much gotten all the gameplay I'm gonna get out of that game by now. I would imagine most other precision platformers are the same way, unless they suck and are really easy.
  • I am going to throw this here in case anyone falls in this specific category. Too Many Games has an Indie showcase where you can get a table to show off your game for free. The catch is you can not SELL your game, only showcase it and give out information to people about your game.