This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Licensing Fees

edited February 2012 in Anime
As Scrym have always complained, the Anime Industry has always been secretive about it's licensing deals and fees. From the legal fallout of the ADV bankrupcy, Anime News Network has acquired a list of licensing fees paid for shows in the 2006-2007 era.

I'm surprised by how wide the range is; Nearly a million dollars for "Kurau: Phantom Memory" to $20,000 for Air: The Movie. The average seems to be around a hundred thousand for an average title, and closer to a half million for what Japan considers "Big" titles.

Not included are any information as to dub/sub production costs or gross income, so we can't tell what the returns are. Still; Interesting to finally see what the cost of licensing looks like.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    That's... not a whole lot! Maybe I should get into anime localization. Then again, I can't really think of any business model that could earn me money and have the potential costumers not pirate instead.

What I personally would like to use, but from reading comments around the internet, I'm sure no one else would, is a client or website that keeps track of the shows you're subscribed to/Have in your "I'd like to watch this some time I'm looking for something new!"-list, and just torrent them for you when they're available with ads where the ads go.

Do you know if DVD versions are more expensive, or have a separate fee? Most shows get cleaned up before the Japanese DVD releases. I know US DVDs usually come out a lot earlier, so it probably doesn't include whatever new footage or error-fixes, but I wonder if they'd be legally allowed to rerealase under the same license with those changes later.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Seeing this, it's not unreasonable to believe that some older properties could be funded (license and subtitling) fully through a reasonably successful Kickstarter, assuming one knew the proper people to talk to.