This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tribes: Ascend

edited February 2012 in Video Games
So, who's playing Tribes: Ascend? https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/

My tag is Vhdblood. (I know that there was some discussion about Ascend on the other tribes thread, but I'd kinda like a central place to talk about this iteration.)

What does everyone think about the rate of experience you get and the general balance of the game? I feel like this game is a lot better than other Pay-to-Free-to-Play (One time purchase price but unlockables for experience or cash) games in respect to the rate you can unlock stuff and the power of those unlockables. Hopping in with no upgrades or anything, you can still easily kill anyone.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone can generate beta invites if they're already in the beta, so post here if you'd like or need a key and hopefully someone can help everyone get in.
Post edited by Vhdblood on

Comments

• I have been playing the Tribes: Ascend beta on and off for a few months now and looking back the game is getting a lot better and heading in an interesting direction.

If anyone is looking to play, my tag is magnusrex
  • Cannot be bothered with the pay to win nonsense at this moment. Otherwise it's pretty fun.
  • I'm in the beta but I get like 20 frames max so I don't play. (my comp sucks) Might start playing as the game comes along or I get a new computer but likely not soon. My username is shiam there as well.
  • edited February 2012
    Cannot be bothered with the pay to win nonsense at this moment. Otherwise it's pretty fun.
    Well, it's more of a pay-to-unlock, play-to-win. You can unlock new items or perks with real money or experience, but the actual upgrading of items, armor, etc, is done through experience only.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Cannot be bothered with the pay to win nonsense at this moment. Otherwise it's pretty fun.
    Well, it's more of a pay-to-unlock, play-to-win. You can unlock new items or perks with real money or experience, but the actual upgrading of items, armor, etc, is done through experience only.
    Also, most of the unlocks are not hard to get by experience, regardless of skill. The only trouble is some of the weapons which can be really expensive.
  • I played L4D today. Playing a game I payed for is something I'll miss.
  • Well it seems that Ascend is now in an open beta. So there isn't many reasons for not even trying it.
  • It's really a fun game. The levels are really beautiful, too. I wish they'd let me just pay for it for like $30-40 or something and drop the bullshit.
  • The biggest problem I have with the free-to-pay model of this game is that the alternative guns for classes are really too expensive, both in exp and real money.
  • I played a little bit of the beta a few weeks back, and found it to be really fun. I never really played Tribes, I probably spent more time watching my friend play it then actually play it myself. I definitely want to play more of it once its out of beta.
  • The biggest problem I have with the free-to-pay model of this game is that the alternative guns for classes are really too expensive, both in exp and real money.
    And that - while I can't say AFTER they've done the latest balance patch - a lot of the weapons you unlock for points, especially the ludicrously expensive ones, are straight up pay-to-win.
    And that - while I can't say AFTER they've done the latest balance patch - a lot of the weapons you unlock for points, especially the ludicrously expensive ones, are straight up pay-to-win.
    I've noticed that the technician is pretty much useless with his basic gun. Dunno if the alternative gun is any better, but it can't be much worse.

That's sad really, because I like the idea of playing technician, but the moment a heavy armored guy enters the base and breaks the generator I become useless.
  • And that - while I can't say AFTER they've done the latest balance patch - a lot of the weapons you unlock for points, especially the ludicrously expensive ones, are straight up pay-to-win.
    I've noticed that the technician is pretty much useless with his basic gun. Dunno if the alternative gun is any better, but it can't be much worse.

That's sad really, because I like the idea of playing technician, but the moment a heavy armored guy enters the base and breaks the generator I become useless.
    The Alt primary is pretty awesome, much better than the dodgy little SMG, which is useful only for finishing off pathfinders. Which is a problem, since you don't have a damage-dealing secondary to get to the point of finishing anyone off, because you have to buy that too.

• From my own experience, the smg is useless on the technician because it works best when used for the opposite reason. The assault rifle and smg shine in chases and taking down light classes like the pathfinder. I think the tech also gets that choice since it's a light class trying to take the flag like 70% of the time.
  • From my own experience, the smg is useless on the technician because it works best when used for the opposite reason. The assault rifle and smg shine in chases and taking down light classes like the pathfinder. I think the tech also gets that choice since it's a light class trying to take the flag like 70% of the time.
    When I'm tech I'm not trying to take out the flag stealers, my turret can handle that. I'm there to fix base turrets, sensors and all the other stuff that gets broken and when a juggernaut goes to smash the generator there is nothing left for me to fix, other than the generator that is. Problem is that at that point there sits two ton gorilla called juggernaut on top of that generator and no tech goes near that.

• You could always get your team to helAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face, your team never helps you.
  • You could always get your team to helAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Actually I mostly play while on Mumble with few friends so the help might arrive.

Actually I mostly play while on Mumble with few friends so the help might arrive.

That works - If I'm playing tribes, I'm almost always playing with the breakfast club. Works the same way. We still hate pretty much everyone.

• Speaking of playing with people, would anyone like to play tonight? I'm playing solo, and it's really less fun.
  • If I can drag myself away from mumble and mass effect 2 then sure.
  • We still hate pretty much everyone.
    NO SPECIAL EXCLUSSIONS FOR THE BREAKFAST CLUB AS IT SHOULD BE.

The thing that makes me rage the most (besides my own retardation) is the bullshit piece of shit business model they chose. At the fucking least have the decency to offer non-abhorrent payment methods.

• You know what sucks? Kicking it in your beowulf assault tank, blowing up cappers and patrolling your base when you get killed in one shot by a weapon that you didn't even know existed. Fuck tactical strikes.
  • You know what sucks? Kicking it in your beowulf assault tank, blowing up cappers and patrolling your base when you get killed in one shot by a weapon that you didn't even know existed. Fuck tactical strikes.
    There is warning of tactical strikes and even orbital strikes, pay attention for laser pointers and remember when moving to feint like a motherfucker.
  • That doesn't help when the game does not tell you what a tactical strike is, or how you could do it yourself. I once accidentally called in a tactical strike onto empty ground, and I have not once replicated the feat. It isn't even listed in the keybindings.
  • That doesn't help when the game does not tell you what a tactical strike is, or how you could do it yourself. I once accidentally called in a tactical strike onto empty ground, and I have not once replicated the feat. It isn't even listed in the keybindings.
    Press 3, 4, or 5 if you have sufficient credits you will be able to do that and more. These things are usually in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
  • If I remember correctly, 4(inventory station) lights up first, then 3(Tac Strike) then 5(Orbital strike).

A well-placed one of those can really fuck up your flag run, trust me on that. Since flag-running is pretty much all I can do well when playing on American servers.
  • Correct, inventory is 2000, tactical strike is 3500, orbital is 10000. I am on the slow road to getting good at this game. But is usually just a pile of failure with brief moments of brilliance at this point.
  • Correct, inventory is 2000, tactical strike is 3500, orbital is 10000. I am on the slow road to getting good at this game. But is usually just a pile of failure with brief moments of brilliance at this point.
    Yeah, that's pretty much me. My only moments of brilliance are capping, though - On the pubs, you don't often get many people who can keep up with a 26 second flag run. The problem is that usually, if I'm on a server where people can't deal with fast flag runs, I've also got a team who are not competent enough to keep our goddamn flag, and thus I end up running for my life for the next minute and a half, while 3/4 of the enemy team catches up for a quick chat.
  • Flags are too easy to take in my opinion, and nigh impossible to successfully defend. This varies from map to map but in most of them the flag is in the middle of a large, flat platform at ground level, with no kind of static defences. Perhaps a tiny bit of overhead cover over the flag would be enough. Just so that the capper would have to slow down a tiny bit to navigate the obstacle.