This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Greenhorn

2»

Comments

• Lots of stuff. I'll sort through this soon. Thanks guys.
  • Lots of stuff. I'll sort through this soon. Thanks guys.
    Or just don't. Last half of the thread is pretty useless for you. In your case exact definitions of what is and isn't an rpg doesn't matter just read the books you have and trust your guts.

• edited March 2012
    Lots of stuff. I'll sort through this soon. Thanks guys.
    Or just don't. Last half of the thread is pretty useless for you. In your case exact definitions of what is and isn't an rpg doesn't matter just read the books you have and trust your guts.

Aye, and partially my responsibility in that. I wanted to clarify a certain point of contention that exists in the hobby so someone wouldn't necessarily be influenced by that particular bias. That is to say, if his friends understood and enjoyed a game that was "primarily a fantasy combat simulator" or the often entertaining "primarily an excuse to get away from the wife and kids for a few hours", they are entitled to enjoy whatever they want.

I have witnessed and been told many stories of groups that fail entirely because they had a dynamic they liked, but then someone decided that they were "doing it wrong" or just started from different expectations. Myself, I have walked into dozens of different groups of different types and seen how incredibly differently they play. In some sense (especially pre-internet) the hobby is an insular one and any given group might develop in complete isolation. After that, it's just a matter of time till you have two different species of gamer.
    Post edited by Anthony Heman on
  • I recently watched the video from last year's PAX East, Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design. Scott proposed a game system called "Say yes or roll the dice." Does such a game system exist either completely or at least as a major part of a system? I really like the concept, and think that the rules could be rather straightforward for such a system yet allow for significant story telling by all the players & GM.

Portion of said video:
  • Burning Wheel and Dogs in the Vineyard both use "say yes or roll the dice" as direct mechanics.
  • I recently watched the video from last year's PAX East, Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design. Scott proposed a game system called "Say yes or roll the dice." Does such a game system exist either completely or at least as a major part of a system? I really like the concept, and think that the rules could be rather straightforward for such a system yet allow for significant story telling by all the players & GM.
    "Say yes or roll the die" is not a system it's a rule. Scott probably knows it from Burning Wheel, but in that Luke admits that it's taken from Dogs in the Vineyard, where it's formed as "Every moment of play, roll dice or say yes." (Vincent Baker, Dogs in the Vineyard, page 138). Of course to say that Vincent was the man who came up with that rule is also silly, but life should be silly every now and then.

• I've mostly heard of "Yes and..." meaning find a way to say yes, but never just simply yes. Yes and something more.
  • edited March 2012
    Watch this for some grade A GM:ing. Note the obviousness of the plot, and how the plot advances.

What I got out of this after finally finishing it was that I need to have a band (who has prepared for this) in the background for anytime I play a RPG(once I move somewhere I can find people to play with). After watching that I searched for other games Chris Perkins has been DM for and I would say that you can just look him up for a good idea on what to do.
    Post edited by canine224 on